inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Karate Kid remake

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/19/10 at 11:35 am

So who will be going to see the film, when it arrives in theaters, this June?

By the way, I am watching the original, now on TV.

Subject: Re: The Karate Kid remake

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/19/10 at 12:16 pm

Why did they remake it anyway? 

I recommend a boycott of remakes of motion pictures.  Entertainment consumers need to make a stand and demand original quality product from Hollywood.  Of course, that's not going to happen. 

No one in this world has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.

H. L. Mencken

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/22/21 at 9:40 am

Not only was there a remake, there was two sequels too. "The Karate Kid II" is best known for "Glory of Love" performed by Peter Cetera, nominated for an Academy Award for Best Original Song.

Written By: Howard on 05/22/21 at 2:08 pm

I think there was a Karate Kid film with a girl in it?  ???

Written By: whistledog on 05/23/21 at 10:02 pm

I think there was a Karate Kid film with a girl in it?  ???

Yes, with Hilary Swank.  I thought it was a decent film.  So many people don't like it because it's not Ralph Macchio, but that's why they called it The Next Karate Kid.  Ralph Macchio can't stay "teenaged" forever lol

Written By: Howard on 05/24/21 at 7:21 am

Yes, with Hilary Swank.  I thought it was a decent film.  So many people don't like it because it's not Ralph Macchio, but that's why they called it The Next Karate Kid.  Ralph Macchio can't stay "teenaged" forever lol

So they couldn't have called it The Karate Man?  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/24/21 at 7:29 am

The Karate Person?

Written By: Howard on 05/24/21 at 8:02 am

The Karate Person?

The Karate Guy?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/24/21 at 8:49 am

The Karate Guy?
A guy is male not female as asked above.

Written By: whistledog on 05/24/21 at 10:26 am

That would most likely have been a box office bomb.  The whole idea is that it's a teenager learning karate

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/24/21 at 10:37 am

That would most likely have been a box office bomb.  The whole idea is that it's a teenager learning karate
For me, a 'kid' is a child that is younger than a teenager.

Written By: whistledog on 05/24/21 at 11:30 am

For me, a 'kid' is a child that is younger than a teenager.

Yeah, but The Karate Teenager doesn't sound right.  A lot of people lump teenagers and kids to the same.  A teenager is just an older child. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/24/21 at 11:50 am

Yeah, but The Karate Teenager doesn't sound right.  A lot of people lump teenagers and kids to the same.  A teenager is just an older child. 
It is all down to alliteration, the use of the letter 'k' as a same letter or sound at the beginning of adjacent or closely connected words.

Written By: Howard on 05/24/21 at 12:26 pm

OK, I understand, the plot is too have the kid learn karate and have someone teach him the ways.

Written By: whistledog on 05/24/21 at 1:14 pm

OK, I understand, the plot is too have the kid learn karate and have someone teach him the ways.

There was a movie about a karate man.  It was called Joe Somebody starring Tim Allen and it was a box office bomb

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/24/21 at 2:02 pm

There was a movie about a karate man.  It was called Joe Somebody starring Tim Allen and it was a box office bomb
From review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes, 20% of critics gave the film positive reviews, based on 85 reviews. The site's consensus states: "Amiable, but extremely lightweight and predictable."

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/24/21 at 2:17 pm

Has anyone else watched Cobra Kai on Netflix?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/24/21 at 2:19 pm

"Cobra Kai" no, Netflix yes.

Written By: whistledog on 05/24/21 at 3:25 pm

Yes.  It is so good.  I had no idea turning the Karate Kid into a TV series would be so enjoyable

Written By: Howard on 05/25/21 at 6:56 am

You can't create something that was a classic over 35 years ago.

Written By: Howard on 05/25/21 at 6:57 am

I haven't see it yet.

Subject: The Karate Kid remake

Written By: Dude111 on 05/25/21 at 8:24 pm

You can't create something that was a classic over 35 years ago.

No....They have proven that over and over!!

Written By: Howard on 05/26/21 at 6:18 am

No....They have proven that over and over!!

And the majority of the remakes have bombed.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/26/21 at 10:18 am

I haven't seen anything about a Karate Kid remake, not even on IMDB which usually lists planned movies that have yet to be produced.

Yes.  It is so good.  I had no idea turning the Karate Kid into a TV series would be so enjoyable

That is a good show that keeps getting better every episode. I can’t wait until Season 4. Especially enjoyable seeing the familiar characters grown up and middle aged, something that most Gen X-ers can relate to.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/26/21 at 10:24 am

I haven't seen anything about a Karate Kid remake, not even on IMDB which usually lists planned movies that have yet to be produced.

The "Karate Kid" remake was released back in 2010, with Jaden Smith and Jackie Chan in lead roles. Rotten Tomatoes did give the film an approval rating of 66% based on 210 reviews.

Written By: Howard on 05/26/21 at 1:37 pm

The "Karate Kid" remake was released back in 2010, with Jaden Smith and Jackie Chan in lead roles. Rotten Tomatoes did give the film an approval rating of 66% based on 210 reviews.

Is that a good approval? ???

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/26/21 at 2:41 pm

I haven't see it yet.

It's awesome. If you liked the Karate Kid movies then you'll love this show.

One of the greatest revelations about this show is that William Zabka, who played Daniel LaRusso's arch-rival Johnny Lawrence, is a phenomenal actor.

Written By: batfan2005 on 05/26/21 at 2:56 pm

I just realized this thread was from 2010. I do remember seeing bits and pieces of it on a plane once. The only scene I remember was with Jaden's character at the Beijing Olympics site.

Written By: Howard on 05/27/21 at 6:57 am

They should call it "The Karate Chronicles" but chronicles has a "K" in it.

Written By: whistledog on 06/01/21 at 3:55 am

It's awesome. If you liked the Karate Kid movies then you'll love this show.

One of the greatest revelations about this show is that William Zabka, who played Daniel LaRusso's arch-rival Johnny Lawrence, is a phenomenal actor.

He really is.  Up until now, he was either only seen as the bully (The Karate Kid), a jerk (Back to School) and a forgettable character (European Vacation).  He's never really had the chance to show the audience that he can really act until Cobra Kai and it's great!

Check for new replies or respond here...