inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Looking for 80s repeating bird toy

Written By: N1col3 on 01/22/10 at 12:32 am

Sorry if this is wrong area, I cannot figure how to upload on the other page.

Looking for toy I had first in late 80s and then mid 90s. Its a bird toy, box says "I repeat everything you say." It is not the talking bird sitting on a perch toy from 70s/80s/90s. I will link a pic but it is a pic taken of a pic from 80s with the toy in it, so not that clear. Anyone know maker or where to find?

Pic at
http://s796.photobucket.com/albums/yy242/N1coL3s/

Thanks.

Subject: Re: Looking for 80s repeating bird toy

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/22/10 at 4:11 am

Have you tried ebay?

Written By: nally on 01/22/10 at 10:59 am

The Talking Toucan readily comes to mind. I saw him at a novelty store in the 90s.

A small bit of info can be found here. What I don't know is when it was new.

Written By: N1col3 on 01/22/10 at 7:15 pm

Have you tried ebay?

The problem is I cannot find the name of it or make. When I type in google/ebay or any sites with words like "talking bird" "repeating bird" toy talking bird from 80s" the one I want doesnt show up anywhere. Usually a toucan on a wooden perch shows up. This one was soft and looked just like a stuffed animal that repeats what you say. It isnt on a perch or anything, you just held it.

Written By: nally on 01/22/10 at 7:33 pm

The problem is I cannot find the name of it or make. When I type in google/ebay or any sites with words like "talking bird" "repeating bird" toy talking bird from 80s" the one I want doesnt show up anywhere. Usually a toucan on a wooden perch shows up. This one was soft and looked just like a stuffed animal that repeats what you say. It isnt on a perch or anything, you just held it.

So I guess the Talking Toucan wasn't it, since he sits on a perch. :-\\

Written By: N1col3 on 01/23/10 at 2:33 pm

no, sorry. it is more like a stuffed animal you hold. i posted the picture from 88 when i got it.

i saw it once here awhile back at the pasadena, ca rose bowl flea market/antique/vintage type sale but cannot find it again or anything online.

Written By: Tiffany on 08/01/13 at 6:18 pm

hello :) I know exactly what you are talking about- in fact, I still have mine! It says on the tag under the wing Tiger Electronic Toys Inc 1987, and a record and play button on the wing. I haven't put batteries in it in a long time, but I remember it used to repeat everything you would say. I hope that helps :)

Written By: Howard on 08/02/13 at 3:28 pm

http://www.maxiaids.com/ProdImages/7031620.jpg

Pete The Repeat Parrot ^

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/07/13 at 9:45 pm

Sorry if this is wrong area, I cannot figure how to upload on the other page.

Looking for toy I had first in late 80s and then mid 90s. Its a bird toy, box says "I repeat everything you say." It is not the talking bird sitting on a perch toy from 70s/80s/90s. I will link a pic but it is a pic taken of a pic from 80s with the toy in it, so not that clear. Anyone know maker or where to find?

Pic at
http://s796.photobucket.com/albums/yy242/N1coL3s/

Thanks.

Here's N1col3's pic of the80s plush electronic talking bird toy she's looking for:

http://i796.photobucket.com/albums/yy242/N1coL3s/80sBirdRepeatToy.jpg

hello :) I know exactly what you are talking about- in fact, I still have mine! It says on the tag under the wing Tiger Electronic Toys Inc 1987, and a record and play button on the wing. I haven't put batteries in it in a long time, but I remember it used to repeat everything you would say. I hope that helps :)

Tiger Electronics made a lot of toys. Does this logo or name ring any bells?

http://i.imgur.com/IGAjT4P.jpg

Polly Parrot was an "Animated and talking simulated parrot" / USPTO Trademark no. 73613791 was registered 3/24/1987.

That led me here:

...Animal Fair's "EKO" (short for Ernest Kensington Oomp) is a pug-nosed furry creature who mimics what you say in up to 4-second spurts, while the larger microchip memory in Tiger Toys' "Polly Parrot" allows it to, um, parrot your speech in 10-second sentences...

- Toy Fair: Christmas In February (an article about the 1986 American Toy Fair; the toys make their debut in February, and the ones that get enough interest from buyers have enough lead time to be manufactured and placed on shelves for Christmas some ten months later.)

I'm pretty sure that's the toy we're looking for. We're still not done yet, however, because there's a modern keychain toy that cusses at you, and right now it's taking up all the search results.

Who's the person on this site that had all the old Sears Wishbooks scanned in? I'd bet good money the '80s version of Polly Parrot is in there somewhere for 1986 and 1987.

Written By: karen on 08/08/13 at 5:39 pm

Who's the person on this site that had all the old Sears Wishbooks scanned in? I'd bet good money the '80s version of Polly Parrot is in there somewhere for 1986 and 1987.

Couldn't find who that was but I did find a site with most Sear's catalogues scanned in

Wishbook web

Check for new replies or respond here...