inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Quincy Jones To Remake 'We Are The World' For Haiti

Written By: JamieMcBain on 01/27/10 at 8:42 pm

So, is this a good idea, or a bad idea?

???

http://www.billboard.com/news/quincy-jones-to-remake-we-are-the-world-1004060769.story#/news/quincy-jones-to-remake-we-are-the-world-1004060769.story

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmxT21uFRwM

Subject: Re: Quincy Jones To Remake 'We Are The World' For Haiti

Written By: snozberries on 01/27/10 at 8:43 pm

So, is this a good idea, or a bad idea?

???

http://www.billboard.com/news/quincy-jones-to-remake-we-are-the-world-1004060769.story#/news/quincy-jones-to-remake-we-are-the-world-1004060769.story

I'd rather they just re-released the origninal.

Written By: whistledog on 01/27/10 at 9:13 pm

Or just make a whole new song

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/27/10 at 10:28 pm

Help for Haiti in da house
Buy this record or you're a louse
8)

Written By: Frank on 01/28/10 at 12:59 am

Juts re-release the original or write a new song, agreed.

Written By: gibbo on 01/28/10 at 2:51 am

I heard that Michael Buble and others want to remake Everybody Hurts (REM) ...for Haiti

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/28/10 at 10:19 am

I heard that Michael Buble and others want to remake Everybody Hurts (REM) ...for Haiti

Everybody's head hurts.
::)

Written By: Bobby on 01/28/10 at 6:48 pm

Or just make a whole new song

I'm in full agreement. 'We are the world' was awful. I like my sappy sentimental songs but that was head-shaking, wildly gesticulated and voice warbling overkill.

I'm also in agreement with Maxwell Smart regarding 'Everybody Hurts' for Haiti, lol. I'm not even sure the song fits into the context anyway.

Written By: karen on 01/28/10 at 9:05 pm

I'm in full agreement. 'We are the world' was awful. I like my sappy sentimental songs but that was head-shaking, wildly gesticulated and voice warbling overkill.

I'm also in agreement with Maxwell Smart regarding 'Everybody Hurts' for Haiti, lol. I'm not even sure the song fits into the context anyway.

Drive by The Cars was used for the Ethopian Famine.  Never really saw much of a link myself - but the video always made me cry

Written By: Bobby on 01/28/10 at 9:31 pm

Drive by The Cars was used for the Ethopian Famine.  Never really saw much of a link myself - but the video always made me cry

Really? I didn't know that. Good song though.

Written By: Lindee on 01/29/10 at 8:47 pm

Bad Idea. I could not stand that song the first time it came out.  8-P

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/29/10 at 10:10 pm

As good an idea as it was in the 80s - great PR, everyone feels good, and a few bucks get raised that might not otherwise have been raised.
As bad a song as it was in the 80s.  I was feeling compassion fatigue before I knew what compassion fatigue was.

Ditto for Let them know it's Christmas

The only "everyone collaborate on a trendy protest song" I could get behind was Sun City; the song stood on its own even if you had no idea whether Sun City was an oasis of privilege surrounded by segregated slums, or just an arcade game that a bunch of singers really had a weird fixation about. 

OK, the part about a video game was a joke, but Sun City was a decent track, and the entertainers' boycott of South Africa's version of Las Vegas took a serious bite out of tourism revenues.  If you were an artist unaware of the current goings-on, you realized that you didn't have to play there, and if you were a listener, you didn't have to vacation there either.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/29/10 at 11:23 pm

As good an idea as it was in the 80s - great PR, everyone feels good, and a few bucks get raised that might not otherwise have been raised.
As bad a song as it was in the 80s.  I was feeling compassion fatigue before I knew what compassion fatigue was.

Ditto for Let them know it's Christmas

The only "everyone collaborate on a trendy protest song" I could get behind was Sun City; the song stood on its own even if you had no idea whether Sun City was an oasis of privilege surrounded by segregated slums, or just an arcade game that a bunch of singers really had a weird fixation about. 

OK, the part about a video game was a joke, but Sun City was a decent track, and the entertainers' boycott of South Africa's version of Las Vegas took a serious bite out of tourism revenues.  If you were an artist unaware of the current goings-on, you realized that you didn't have to play there, and if you were a listener, you didn't have to vacation there either.

They only gave Peter Garrett one line in that song!
>:(

Anyway, when the best estimates of what "Live Aid" did for the famine in Ethiopia, they were sorely disappointing.  Sir Bob stated if all that effort saved even ONE Ethiopian child, it was worth it.  Well, Sir Bob, you could have adopted 100 Ethiopian children for much cheaper.  Then there's the sorry old fall back, "We're raisin' consciousness, man!"  Yeah, you have the consciousness of a raisin.  I don't mean to be cynical about show biz benefits...well, I guess I do.
:-\\

Written By: Bobby on 01/30/10 at 8:59 am

Maybe for the Canadians they should release a version of 'Tears are not enough' by Northern Lights. Listened to that recently and saw the video. I was a little perturbed to find a woman on it that sang like a bloke and a man that sung like a woman. Never mind though, when Bananarama were doing the first 'Do they know it's Christmas?' they looked as though they just got out of bed.

"If we can pull together
We could change the world forever
Heaven knows that tears are not enough"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJN3u1wAWIk

Check for new replies or respond here...