inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Early-to-mid 80s were the sh*t

Written By: b_cowboy on 02/03/10 at 10:05 am

Was listening to 'Jessie's Girl", "Mickey" and "Gloria" recently thinking how good the early 80s were. I think that the late 80s are overrated and the early 80s are underrated in the media.
I generally prefer the music from the early to mid 80s. The hair metal and most of the S/A/W songs from 86-89 sucked. And after 85-6 women's hair became even fluffier.
Are there people here that generally prefer the first part of the 80s (80-84)? Everything seemed so innocent back then and music videos were not perfect but had individuality.
Whgen it comes to the late 80s, I prefer the 90s and early 00s more. The late 80s had too much hair metal/SAW music (although there are a few I like) for my taste. Anyone agree/disagree?  :P

Subject: Re: Early-to-mid 80s were the sh*t

Written By: JamieMcBain on 02/03/10 at 10:35 am

Well, it give us alternative Grunge music, before it became cool, in the 90's.

Written By: whistledog on 02/03/10 at 3:07 pm

If you don't like the 80s, then you were probably born after it was over

Written By: b_cowboy on 02/04/10 at 8:19 am

Oops! I forgot to mention that that was a quote from a net friend who experienced the 80s. I was born in 1988.
But I posted this because I totally agree with him - the early 80s have always seemed better to me (judging by music, music videos, movies and even fashion-wise).
The late 80s seem like being over the top. And the music - I like several late 80s songs, but I hate the most of it.
Why did everything in 1986-89 seem so exaggerated? I like late 80s TV shows, though e.g. ALF, Married With Children and Roseanne.
I really wish I was born in the early 80s so that I wouldn't look at 'Which song was #1 the day you were born.' sites with disgust.

Written By: Davester on 02/04/10 at 11:12 pm

Yeah, they were...

Written By: dogwelder on 02/05/10 at 9:59 pm

i was a teenager and young adult in the 80's.....but i was totally into metal.
early metallica, megadeth, slayer.........classic priest and maiden.........some hair metal like motley crue.
ilove that era of metal ;D 

Written By: apollonia1986 on 02/05/10 at 10:55 pm

I LOVE THE 80S! ;D

(born in 86, spent 3 years and 7 months in the decade)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/06/10 at 12:19 am

Part of what made them the sh*t was we didn't say things were "the sh*t."

Then again, toootally gnarly duuude, wasn't much better!
::)

Written By: lovethe80s on 06/06/11 at 7:23 pm

The strangest thing is that some aspects from the early 80s look less dated now than the late 80s. I mean the way Jake from "Sixteen Candles" doesn't look as dated, however, the way people dressed in "Pretty In Pink" is just weird. Sure, the girls' clothes and haircuts are dated, but some of the men's clothes from the early 80s look less dated than men's clothes from the later part of the decade which is kinda contradictory.

Written By: nicole1977 on 06/27/11 at 11:56 am

The early to mid 80s were special to me because I started elementary school in the early 80s, and I remember a lot of music that was hot around that period.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 06/28/11 at 10:04 pm

I spent the first 12 years of my life in the 1980s.  And buddy you're in the wrong spot.  The 80s were a fantastic time to be alive.  :)

Written By: RG1995 on 06/28/11 at 11:05 pm

I spent the first 12 years of my life in the 1980s.  And buddy you're in the wrong spot.  The 80s were a fantastic time to be alive.  :)
That doesn't make sense.

Written By: King Tut on 08/05/11 at 5:15 pm

I agree, the 80s were great for me too.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/05/11 at 6:22 pm

The '80s was probably the worse decade of my life!

Cat

Written By: Howard on 08/05/11 at 7:23 pm

I agree, the 80s were great for me too.

and I was a kid back then.

Written By: Paul on 08/08/11 at 8:59 am

Speaking from experience, it wasn't that fantastic (allegedly!)

The soundtrack wasn't bad, though...

Written By: Davester on 08/09/11 at 5:19 pm

Speaking from experience, it wasn't that fantastic (allegedly!)

The soundtrack wasn't bad, though...

I'm wondering if you intended this reply for the St. Elmo's thread, Paul, but missed the left toin at Albakoikie...

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 08/09/11 at 8:27 pm

and I was a kid back then.

I think a lot of us were kids back then.  I know I was.  :) And this grotesque aging stereotype doesn't seem to help matters any.  Viva Le 80s! That's all I have to say to this.  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...