inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 80's songs remind me of... the early 00's

Written By: cowboy on 02/15/10 at 8:52 am

I've never experienced the 80's since I was born in 1988. However, in the early-to-mid 00's like 2003-2005 I used to watch VH-1 and their 'So 80s' series. Nowadays, when I watch a music video from the 1980's it reminds me of the early 00's, and I feel nostalgia about 2003-2005 while listening to these tunes or watching the music videos. Do you have examples of songs that remind you not about the time they were released, but the first time you heard them? E.g a 70's song that you heard in the 80's and now it reminds you of the 80's, the time you heard it? Or do you always listen to what's new?

And my second question: are you a video music lover?
I prefer watching music videos to audio-only music. For me they give the song a life. Are there any other people like me, or I am unique? That love for music videos makes me hate MTV for not giving me my does of videos since 2005-2006. All they show now is crappy reality shows. I like YouTube, but most videos there are either of crappy quality or are restricted by copyrights.

PS. I'm glad that I grew up listening not only to the then-current early 00's music, but also to the great music that was created in the 80's. The 80's, 90's and the early 00's were great times for music. Besides, I remember that in 2003-2004 MTV and VH-1 still showed music videos. Now 'So 80s' is only in the morning as I know, but then it used to be shown on VH-1 two or three times a day!

Subject: Re: 80's songs remind me of... the early 00's

Written By: amjikloviet on 02/15/10 at 4:24 pm

Hi

No, I don't think you're the only one. It's probably because since you didn't experience the '80s enough when you listen to 80s music it seems new to you even though the songs are really old. I think it's a kind of memory nostalgia-type thing. It's interesting that maybe it doesn't really matter if you remember the song when it first came out or if you've heard it years later for the first time.

Check for new replies or respond here...