inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Live-Aid (July 13, 1985) poll

Written By: Frank on 03/24/10 at 11:52 am

Live Aid was a multi-venue rock music concert held on July 13, 1985 (1985-07-13). The event was organized by Bob Geldof and Midge Ure to raise funds for famine relief in Ethiopia. Billed as the 'global jukebox', the event was held simultaneously in Wembley Stadium, London (attended by 72,000 people) and JFK Stadium, Philadelphia (attended by about 99,000 people).On the same day, concerts inspired by the initiative happened in other countries, such as Australia and Germany. It was one of the largest-scale satellite link-ups and television broadcasts of all time: an estimated 400 million viewers, across 60 countries, watched the live broadcast.

Can you believe this event occurred almost 25 years ago?  Which acts do you remember? Which performances did you enjoy? (I can't list all the performers, but some)
http://www.geetarz.org/reviews/direstraits/live-aid-vhs-01.jpg

Did you prefer the Wembley or JFK show?

http://litesomjag.blogg.se/images/2006/live_aid_1985_1166897486_5890661.jpg
I remember watching most of it on TV that day. Enjoyed it tremendously. I preferred the Wembley show, (just because I like the performers betters), but both shows were great. I thought U2 stole the show.

Subject: Re: Live-Aid (July 13, 1985) poll

Written By: Davester on 03/24/10 at 2:35 pm

Satish would like a word with you...

Seriously, I don't remember much of it.  Too long ago.  What I do remember is watching the MTV pre-show and then tuning-in at different times throughout the day...

Written By: gibbo on 03/24/10 at 4:34 pm

Strangely, I don't remember much about it either. Something prevented me from watching most of it (probably working). Which artist performed at both UK and US shows by dashing off via Concorde? (I might have my concerts mixed up here).

Here's something I didn't know..."Cat Stevens wrote a song for the Live Aid concert, which he never got to perform — had he done so, he would have made his first public concert appearance since converting to Islam and changing his name to Yusuf Islam. Though he had written a song especially for the occasion, his appearance was skipped when Elton John's set ran too long."

Written By: Davester on 03/24/10 at 4:41 pm

You have the right concert.  You're thinking of Phil Collins...

Written By: loki 13 on 03/24/10 at 5:36 pm

I preferred the Philadelphia side simply because I was there ----- from beginning to end, and what a long, hot,
wonderful day it was. I thought George Thorogood put on a great show, as did Judas Priest, Black Sabbath and
Neil Young. The band that surprised me the most was Run DMC, they were surprisingly good.

Written By: gibbo on 03/24/10 at 6:20 pm

You have the right concert.  You're thinking of Phil Collins...

Thanks...I had him or Elton John in mind...

Written By: alanbarnes on 03/26/10 at 1:43 pm

Queen's set was legendary and is widely regarded as the best of the day.  That alone helped put them back in the good graces of music fans and set up their second wave of success that lasted until Freddie's death and peaked with "Live at Wembley"

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/29/10 at 1:16 am

Satish would like a word with you...

Seriously, I don't remember much of it.  Too long ago.  What I do remember is watching the MTV pre-show and then tuning-in at different times throughout the day...

I agree.  Anyway, I went with U2, Ultravox, and Howard Jones because I felt sorry for HJ because he tried to get the crowd to do call-and-response to "No One Is To Blame," but too few knew the lyrics.  It was kinda sad for Howie!

You weren't supposed to think what I was thinking:
1. I don't wish I was there.
2. This is a hype and will have no measurable effect on African famine.
3. This is NOT my generation's Woodstock.

What did they say about Woodstock?  If you remember it, you weren't there.

Live Aide?  If you were there nobody gives a flying f**k.
:P

Written By: robby76 on 03/29/10 at 3:03 am

I remember bits and pieces and flitting between our house and the neighbours to watch it. My favourites Nik Kershaw and Rick Springfield aren't on your list, so I went for Madonna and Howard Jones.

Written By: tomario on 03/31/10 at 9:38 am

The thing that sticks most in my mind is the opening few bars of "Rocking all over the World" by Status Quo... and i like it  8)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 04/01/10 at 9:14 am

I got it on DVD awhile back, my votes were for The Who, U2 and Queen.

Written By: CatsLairArchives on 07/18/10 at 9:36 pm

I got it on DVD awhile back, my votes were for The Who, U2 and Queen.

Has it been released on DVD?

If so, I can get rid of the betamax tapes I have from when it was aired.

Written By: Rachel on 07/23/10 at 5:59 am

Queen were the best, nobody could even top what they did

Written By: MrCleveland on 07/31/10 at 6:29 pm

I'm surprised there was no 25th anniversary for "Live Aid"...is there?

Check for new replies or respond here...