inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sex Symbols of 1983? (Please Help)

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/30/10 at 5:20 pm

Hi Everyone!

As many of you know, for quite a while I have been putting a story into the works. In my story I have an adolescent who is in love with one pop icon and falling for a singer who is kind of modeled after Prince. (But he's taller and White) But the thing is. I  need a pop icon--singer, actor, etc-- for her to already beover the moon for before this Prince-like character takes over. Now I wanted to go with Michael Jackson, but that seemed WAY too obvious. And I've heard too many stories of MJ fans that switched to Prince in the 80s and vice versa.

So I was wondering who are some other teen heart throbs from the year 1983. All I could come up with was Rick Springfield, but was he even still big in 1983?

Please help!

Thank you!

Subject: Re: Sex Symbols of 1983? (Please Help)

Written By: whistledog on 04/30/10 at 6:00 pm

Most of the ones I can name from 1983 were all the rage from the get go almost everywhere but the US, groups like Tears for Fears and New Edition.

There was Duran Duran.  1983 was right at the time when 'Hungry Like the Wolf' hit it big in North America.  They were on the covers of all the teen magazines and posters on teen girls walls.  Seemed like it was Simon LeBon that got most of the attention as like with many bands, it's usually the lead singer that all the girls swoon over ...

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w311/memoryboy/DuranDuran-Group300woutunsharp.jpg

Written By: Frank on 04/30/10 at 6:10 pm

For guys? Around this time period, if I recall.
Matt Dillon, Tom Cruise, Patrick Swayze, Rob Lowe. Matthew Broderick
Girls: Heather Locklear, Blair ( Different strokes) Molly Ringwald (can't recall if she became popular in 1984 or late 1983), Charlene Tilton, Jennifer Beals.
Heck, anyone from the young rat pack...
And like Whitledog said, Duran Duran.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/30/10 at 6:29 pm

Hey Y'all!

Thanks for the info. In the pic of Duran Duran, which one is LeBon?

Written By: Frank on 04/30/10 at 6:33 pm

Hey Y'all!

Thanks for the info. In the pic of Duran Duran, which one is LeBon?

He's in the middle.

Written By: gibbo on 04/30/10 at 8:18 pm

Wham (with George Michael) also hit it big around that year with "Wake Me Up Before You Go"...and " Freedom". George is the one on the left.. ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v147/nuroticfish/wham.jpg

Written By: whistledog on 04/30/10 at 8:43 pm

Wham (with George Michael) also hit it big around that year with "Wake Me Up Before You Go"...and " Freedom". George is the one on the left.. ;)

They unfortunately did not take off in North America until late 1984

Written By: apollonia1986 on 04/30/10 at 8:44 pm

Thanks for pointing out LeBon. And thanks for all the more info guys!

I know which one is George. I could pick him out of a crowd faster than I could Where's Waldo. LOL.

Written By: karen on 04/30/10 at 10:20 pm

Seemed like it was Simon LeBon that got most of the attention as like with many bands, it's usually the lead singer that all the girls swoon over ...

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w311/memoryboy/DuranDuran-Group300woutunsharp.jpg

Nick Rhodes!!!!!

Written By: Frank on 04/30/10 at 10:56 pm

Nick Rhodes!!!!!

I knew a girl in college who was nuts about John Taylor. His name was all I heard while we dated briefly.

Written By: ladybug316 on 04/30/10 at 11:10 pm

Nick Rhodes!!!!!

He was always my favorite too, Karen  :)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/01/10 at 12:10 am

He was always my favorite too, Karen  :)

My best friend and I divvied up the group.  She "got" Roger Taylor and Simon LeBon and I "got" Nick Rhodes and John Taylor.  Poor Andy didn't have anyone in our group.  :\'(

Written By: Frank on 05/01/10 at 1:20 am

http://news.makemeheal.com/images/valerie-bertinelli4.jpg

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/01/10 at 9:53 am

My best friend and I divvied up the group.  She "got" Roger Taylor and Simon LeBon and I "got" Nick Rhodes and John Taylor.  Poor Andy didn't have anyone in our group.   :\'(

Aww, poor Andy indeed!  They were all pretty yummy, I'd say.

Written By: tv on 05/01/10 at 4:45 pm

First name that came to my head when I first saw this thread was "Jennifer Beals".

Written By: tv on 05/01/10 at 4:48 pm

I am a straight guy but when I saw George Michael on "Oprah" in 2006 or 2007 maybe he looked better than he did in his early 80's days in my opinion.  I think George Michael looked good with the beard he had back in 2006 or 2007.

Written By: tv on 05/01/10 at 4:50 pm

http://news.makemeheal.com/images/valerie-bertinelli4.jpg
Frank, who is that Sally Field in her younger years? It looks like her.

Written By: whistledog on 05/01/10 at 4:53 pm

Frank, who is that Sally Field in her younger years? It looks like her.

Valerie Bertinelli

Written By: Paul on 05/01/10 at 5:01 pm

They unfortunately did not take off in North America until late 1984

To be fair, Britain did have 'em the previous year...so it sort of counts!

The other 'big thing' we had that year was Culture Club...sex symbols in a different sense, I suppose...

Written By: tv on 05/01/10 at 5:23 pm

For guys? Around this time period, if I recall.
Matt Dillon, Tom Cruise, Patrick Swayze, Rob Lowe. Matthew Broderick
Girls: Heather Locklear, Blair ( Different strokes) Molly Ringwald (can't recall if she became popular in 1984 or late 1983), Charlene Tilton, Jennifer Beals.
Heck, anyone from the young rat pack...
And like Whitledog said, Duran Duran.
Uh close, the character "blair" was on "Facts of Life" not "Different Strokes" but as you know the 2 series were kinda close because of Mrs. Garrett's character and Kim Fields character "Tootie" on both series.

Molly Ringwalds years of being a teen-star were 1984-1987 because I was just looking at her movie discography on "wikipedia".

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/01/10 at 5:59 pm

What about Menudo?  They were like the New Kids on The Block, at that time period!

Written By: Davester on 05/01/10 at 7:01 pm

My best friend and I divvied up the group.  She "got" Roger Taylor and Simon LeBon and I "got" Nick Rhodes and John Taylor.  Poor Andy didn't have anyone in our group.  :\'(

My girlfriend, back then, would've fought you over John Taylor.  He was hers, and no one else's... :P

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 05/02/10 at 11:57 pm

My girlfriend, back then, would've fought you over John Taylor.  He was hers, and no one else's... :P

It's funny (odd) that nobody else (of my friends) thought he was cute.  I guess I've always liked the bass (as in instruments) so naturally my fondness for those that played them would follow, I suppose.  A few years ago, when the original 5 band members reunited, my allegiance shamefully switched to Simon.  He was just much cuter now (either he aged more gracefully then John or spent more money on plastic surgery) or maybe he was just that much more charismatic now.  Surely my "schoolgirl crushes preferences" haven't changed THAT much.  lol 

Written By: Frank on 05/03/10 at 12:03 am

I knew a girl in college who was nuts about John Taylor. His name was all I heard while we dated briefly.

Looks like we dated the same girl  :D

Written By: gibbo on 05/03/10 at 2:17 am

Men who wear makeup...their attraction was a mystery to me!  :o

Written By: Davester on 05/03/10 at 2:21 pm

It's funny (odd) that nobody else (of my friends) thought he was cute.  I guess I've always liked the bass (as in instruments) so naturally my fondness for those that played them would follow, I suppose.  A few years ago, when the original 5 band members reunited, my allegiance shamefully switched to Simon.  He was just much cuter now (either he aged more gracefully then John or spent more money on plastic surgery) or maybe he was just that much more charismatic now.  Surely my "schoolgirl crushes preferences" haven't changed THAT much.  lol 

I suppose back then JT had the boyishly-handsome-chiseled-good-looks, and girlfriend definitely did the chiseled looks thing.  I say that because her other two loves were Wang Chung and Morten Harket from A-ha.  But I never got jealous.  Nope...

If I were a girl in the early part of the 'eighties ida went with Roger T., quite frankly...

Written By: Davester on 05/03/10 at 2:24 pm

That explains why she kept screaming "OH Frankie!" in the middle of the night... :P

Written By: gibbo on 05/03/10 at 7:48 pm

That explains why she kept screaming "OH Frankie!" in the middle of the night... :P

Sounds like 'Night Terrors' to me.... ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/03/10 at 8:35 pm

To answer Appolonia's question, Rick Springfield was popular in 1983.  "Affair of the Heart," "Human Touch," and "Souls" were Top 40 hits for him that year, and I believe he was still Dr. Noah Drake on "General Hospital."  However, he was considered kind of a tool.  I wouldn't use him in your story.

If you're looking for a teenage heart throb on the level of Prince, but taller and white, then Simon LeBon is your man!
8)

Written By: Andy Simon on 05/10/10 at 7:22 pm

As I was constantly being jealous about all these guys who would solicit so much attention from my female high school classmates (and not even know it) I still remember the big faves the girls would go nuts about in 1983. You did not state whether that novel is set in the US or elsewhere. So take my opinion with a grain of salt, as I hail from Europe.

It was usually 50% Simon Le Bon and 50% John Taylor, if you were a Duranie
Paul Young ("Come Back And Stay") was a fave in 83/84
In Europe, Boy George was huge in 1983
Martin Gore and Dave Gahan from Depeche Mode
Limahl from Kajagoogoo (boy, was he all over the pin up posters in girls' bedrooms)
Sting was a fave that even boys would grudgingly agree about was "okay to like"
"New Edition" (Bobby Brown) were popular with girls, too

Written By: gibbo on 05/10/10 at 8:16 pm

oh....and I neglected to put myelf forward as candidate.  ;)

Written By: apollonia1986 on 05/10/10 at 8:58 pm

Gee thanks guys. I really appreciate all the guys.

I love Limahl from Kajagoogoo. And hell, I just like saying "Kajagoogoo!"

@Maxsmart: Lebon is the equivalent of Prince? Did he molest microphone stands too? LMAO. Thanks man. But I think I might keep Rick. because he was the first person that sprang to my mind.

Written By: Frank on 05/11/10 at 12:22 am

oh....and I neglected to put myelf forward as candidate.  ;)

By the way, the topic is Sex symbols, not Wax symbols from 1983. :D

Written By: gibbo on 05/11/10 at 12:56 am

By the way, the topic is Sex symbols, not Wax symbols from 1983. :D

Hah....wax was once ...ON FIRE!!!  8)  (or at least really hot)  ;)

Written By: Frank on 05/11/10 at 1:05 am

Hah....wax was once ...ON FIRE!!!  8)  (or at least really hot)  ;)

No, people like to set wax on fire, they want it to burn and melt. ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/13/10 at 1:01 pm

As I was constantly being jealous about all these guys who would solicit so much attention from my female high school classmates (and not even know it) I still remember the big faves the girls would go nuts about in 1983. You did not state whether that novel is set in the US or elsewhere. So take my opinion with a grain of salt, as I hail from Europe.

It was usually 50% Simon Le Bon and 50% John Taylor, if you were a Duranie
Paul Young ("Come Back And Stay") was a fave in 83/84
In Europe, Boy George was huge in 1983

Martin Gore and Dave Gahan from Depeche Mode
Limahl from Kajagoogoo (boy, was he all over the pin up posters in girls' bedrooms)
Sting was a fave that even boys would grudgingly agree about was "okay to like"
"New Edition" (Bobby Brown) were popular with girls, too

Depeche Mode didn't break big in the U.S. until '84.  I do remember seeing the video for "Everything Counts" on MTV in 1983.  The band did tour that year, but they played smaller venues in college town.  They were still a college radio band over here then.  Funny thing was, the band piqued my interest in the summer of '84 and I remember buying the U.S. comp. "People are People" just after school started in September.  Then I saw the video for "Master and Servant" and immediately ran out and bought "Some Great Reward" which had just been released in the U.S.

It was kind of a slow build-up for DM and American girls.  They didn't get that sudden burst of adolescent female adulation that Duran Duran got.  DM's music was kind of quirky and weird for the U.S. market.  They were huge with fey goth girls who wore black lipstick (the term "goth" was not yet in the vernacular, but the look was there).  It wasn't really until the "Music for the Masses" and "101" era that mainstream girls caught on to Dave Gahan's raw sex appeal.  They fawned over Martin like they would later fawn over Elijah Wood 'cos "he's sooooo cute," but he wasn't "sexy" like Dave!
8)

Check for new replies or respond here...