inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: what were you wearing in 1985?

Written By: Azur Holt on 05/03/10 at 1:13 pm

??

Subject: Re: what were you wearing in 1985?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 05/03/10 at 8:04 pm

Pretty much regular clothes, plain old boring t shirts and pants.

Written By: gibbo on 05/03/10 at 8:08 pm

Oh geez...this was my saddest dress code period. I got a girlfriend in 1985 (now my wife)...and departed from my usual 70's blue jeans and tee shirt staple.

Suddenly, I was wearing different coloured pants. Sometimes white pants with white shoes and bright blue or yellow shirt ...or lemon yellow pants with navy blue belt and webbed navy blue canvas type shoes (we called them brothel creepers)...topped off with a navy blue shirt. I also wore a soft gay pants with a soft PINK shirt. I had the light weight coat (not lined) with the rolled up sleaves...very Miami Vice like...with curly hair (not quite shoulder length mullet type) ....a bit like Lionel Richie on the cover of his Can't Slow Down album.

Overall....looking back.....PATHETIC effort!!!  ;D  No wonder there are few great memories from the 80's!!

Now I'm back to blue jeans and tee shirt!!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/03/10 at 8:22 pm

I was starting the punk thing in 1985, so I was into beat up thrift shop stuff and army/navy surplus.  I used a lot of safety pins on a worn out leather jacket.  I have to admit, the initial punk wave was getting kinda passe by the time I was doing it, then it became a classic retro look.  There's now a store in Northampton (Mass.) called "Sid Vintage." 

If you got your ideas about punk outfitting from Hot Topic, you've been mislead.  The punk aesthetic was too look like gutter trash.  I didn't do so well with it.  I became more of a New Romantic...

Written By: karen on 05/04/10 at 7:59 am

black jeans, grandad shirts, long overcoats, ski pants with a floral shirt.  Two dresses I loved my mum made for me.  One was grey, the other a denim blue with a bleached/tie-dyed effect.  They were sleeveless, slightly dropped waisted, plain styled dresses.

Written By: lola669 on 05/04/10 at 9:05 am

Big shirts (buttoned up to the neck and a brooch), V-neck tennis style sweaters, big earrings, penny loafers, grandfather's overcoat, plaid pants, bright colors. 

Written By: superflykid2008 on 05/05/10 at 12:00 am

....I was wearing whatever people wore that were yet to exist wear :\'( :(

Written By: Midas on 05/05/10 at 9:30 am

I was sporting some black parachute pants, white leather Nike hi-tops that I didn't tie and usually some sort of sleeveless or short-sleeve T or henley-type shirt, and was working on a mullet.  :D

Written By: apollonia1986 on 05/10/10 at 6:59 pm

An amniotic sack.

I was still sitting in my mom's tummy for the latter half of 1985.  ;D

Now had I been alive it would have been a mix of eye burning neon, Prince ruffles and Michael Jackson t-shirts.  ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/13/10 at 12:42 pm

An amniotic sack.

I was still sitting in my mom's tummy for the latter half of 1985.  ;D

Now had I been alive it would have been a mix of eye burning neon, Prince ruffles and Michael Jackson t-shirts.  ;)

That was more of an urban look than a suburban one.  Suburban girls who went around like that had better be prepared to give black eyes to the tough chicks with Skynyrd shirts and acid-washed jeans!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/dazzler1.gif

Written By: Marty on 05/13/10 at 8:04 pm

That was more of an urban look than a suburban one.  Suburban girls who went around like that had better be prepared to give black eyes to the tough chicks with Skynyrd shirts and acid-washed jeans!

@ MaxwellSmart >acid washed jeans weren't in style til '87 dude!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/13/10 at 10:07 pm

@ MaxwellSmart >acid washed jeans weren't in style til '87 dude!

Okay then, ZZ Top miniskirts and over-the-shoulder boulder holders!  I remember that them those!
:D

Written By: apollonia1986 on 05/16/10 at 9:30 pm

Are y'all sure acid wash didn't happen till 87? Cause I have a picture of Michael Jackson in purple acid wash jeans with a matching glitter tie. And I reckon it's from 1985-86 judging by his appearance.

http://mjjgallery.free.fr/thriller/various/misc/009.jpg

I had one pair of acid washed blue jeans in the early nineties. And I have several pairs as an adult.  ;D

Written By: Davester on 05/17/10 at 2:08 am

Acid washed stuff was all the rage in the late 1980s...

Cant tell if Jacko is sporting acid wash, but when people talk about acid washed jeans, they're most likely thinking about this:

http://www.adelle.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/acid_wash_jeans.jpg

PLEATED acid washed, no less.  Yet more proof the late '80s sucked...

Written By: Marty on 05/17/10 at 8:36 pm

Are y'all sure acid wash didn't happen till 87? Cause I have a picture of Michael Jackson in purple acid wash jeans with a matching glitter tie. And I reckon it's from 1985-86 judging by his appearance.

http://mjjgallery.free.fr/thriller/various/misc/009.jpg

I had one pair of acid washed blue jeans in the early nineties. And I have several pairs as an adult.  ;D

I don't think MJ's jeans are acid wash. there may have been a few acid wash jeans around in '85-'86 but they really didn't come into style until the later years of the decade.

Written By: coqueta83 on 05/20/10 at 7:25 pm

I was just a little kid in 85, but I remember wearing jumpers, different colored sneakers, and sunglasses with the Dr. Pepper logo on it. 

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/24/10 at 1:31 pm

I had cabbage patch sneakers with velcro.

That's about all I remember.

Written By: Midas on 05/24/10 at 1:57 pm

I had cabbage patch sneakers with velcro.

That's about all I remember.

You probably should've worn clothes :D

Written By: Ashkicksass on 05/24/10 at 2:51 pm

You probably should've worn clothes :D

probably...

Written By: Danny on 06/21/10 at 1:13 am

Well, I graduated highschool that year so I'm most certainly an '80's kid. I was really preppy and simple until my junior year where I tried to be a little adventurous in fashion by like asking some of my classmates who's style I liked where they shopped. How I dressed depended my mood or where I was going mall/club/party/church,I could be preppy to.  What I had in my closet that I wore were skin tight designer jeans, parachute pants,break dancer pants (I had some black ones),black vinyle pants with extra pockets all with zippers, and black or white canvas pants  that had zippers down the side of each leg to reveal another color or cool accent pattern such as piano keys('memba those?),shirt tops that had a "shoulder-pad" look or Eruo style with the "double side button neck the outside one you wore unbuttoned and flapped out revealing another color/pattern underneath, those cool dressy subdued color stripe long sleeved shirts or color shirts with those white collars/cuffs as accents by Sassoon/Pierre Cardin/or Calvin Cline that you wore with a knit or slender tie. I had white velcro Nikes/Filas,or converse hitops with the jean legs rolled up snug around the ankles just to the top of them for a '50's touch that came back and stayed a few years.  I wore my hair middle-parted and spikey that stood up in the middle and feathered down like Bruce Stringstien,or was Sting? Anyway ..I wore it like that till '87 when I switched to the Richie Valens look after La Bamba came out. Danny

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/25/10 at 3:48 pm

Definitely clothes back then.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/25/10 at 8:50 pm

Definitely clothes back then.

Well, ain't you smart!

Check for new replies or respond here...