inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Karate Kid

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/06/10 at 11:45 am

Probably, one of of my favorite films of all time, when the remake comes out next week, it will have really big shoes, to fill.

The bright side, an all day Karate Kid marathon, was on TV, last night.

Subject: Re: The Karate Kid

Written By: whistledog on 06/06/10 at 1:25 pm

I bought the Karate Kid I and II boxset on Blu-Ray (For some reason, part III was not released on Blu-Ray) and it came with free e-movie cash to see the remake, so I will be seeing it for free.  Not really a movie I'd pay to see.

Written By: suoerflykid2008 on 06/14/10 at 12:44 am

Alright, I understand that most remakes sucks, but after watching The Karate Kid 2010, I can gladly tell you that this one was faithful, and does nothing but hail the memory of the original, and modernized it. First of all the story remains full of heart, and does the acting. Jaden and Jackie both did a great job, both during the more playful scenes, and also during the more serious, and sometimes tearful scenes. The cinematography is also beautifully done, which is a good reason why I'm happy that it was done in China this time around. James Honer (Avatar) also composes another beautiful score to add on to his other list of accomplishments. So, before the movie cane out a lot of people were putting the film down due to the fact that the character seemed too young. I thought so too, but actually middle school and bullying go hand in hand, once I really thought about it. And despite children being involved, the violence is very brutal for a PG rated movie from breaking legs, face punches, and violent blows, and such to other parts of the body. These kids aren't messing around. All in all, I give it a B+. I saw the A Team on Friday, and out of both of those this movie was my favorite. So, for the two main movies opening this weekend. This was the one to see. I cheered, clapped, and left feeling happy. Like I said, this does nothing but promote the original, so I think both films have their place.
Note: The imdb rating is so low because a large amount of trolls rated it 1.

Written By: whistledog on 06/14/10 at 8:29 pm

Is suoerflykid2008 any relation to someone else?

What did suoerflykid2008 say to superflykid2008?  I don't have a P in me :D

Written By: apollonia1986 on 06/14/10 at 10:05 pm

Am I crazy or does Jaden Smith look like a Human version of Riley Freeman from the Boondocks comics?

http://in.reuters.com/resources/r/?m=02&d=20100610&t=2&i=125801110&w=460&fh=&fw=&ll=&pl=&r=img-2010-06-11T032352Z_01_NOOTR_RTRMDNC_0_India-492168-1

http://instructors.cwrl.utexas.edu/widner/sites/instructors.cwrl.utexas.edu.widner/files/images/boondocksRiley500.jpg

The first tiem I saw the ad for the new Karate Kid, I was like dang, they need to make a live action version of the Boondocks.

Written By: Starde on 06/14/10 at 10:16 pm

Am I crazy or does Jaden Smith look like a Human version of Riley Freeman from the Boondocks comics?

http://in.reuters.com/resources/r/?m=02&d=20100610&t=2&i=125801110&w=460&fh=&fw=&ll=&pl=&r=img-2010-06-11T032352Z_01_NOOTR_RTRMDNC_0_India-492168-1

http://instructors.cwrl.utexas.edu/widner/sites/instructors.cwrl.utexas.edu.widner/files/images/boondocksRiley500.jpg

The first tiem I saw the ad for the new Karate Kid, I was like dang, they need to make a live action version of the Boondocks.

Whoa! :o

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/14/10 at 10:28 pm

Mr. Myagi, how did you learn to fish
Ah, father teach!
Mr. Myagi: Who taught you karate?
Ah father teach!

It said something about divorce culture that developed in the 1970s.
:-\\

Written By: apollonia1986 on 06/14/10 at 11:01 pm

Whoa! :o

I just KNOW Will won't let his son do all the crazy cursing Riley does in the Boondocks cartoon. I watched Riley last night and he had so many bleeps covering what he was saying it was ridiculous.

Back on topic, isn't Jackie Chan a little too young to be Mr. Miyagi? Cat Pat Morita was like in his mid-fifties and Isn't Jackie like 40?  :(

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/15/10 at 8:52 pm

I just KNOW Will won't let his son do all the crazy cursing Riley does in the Boondocks cartoon. I watched Riley last night and he had so many bleeps covering what he was saying it was ridiculous.

Back on topic, isn't Jackie Chan a little too young to be Mr. Miyagi? Cat Pat Morita was like in his mid-fifties and Isn't Jackie like 40?  :(

Chan actually turned 53 this year!  He seems much younger though.  Chan was in many a sucky chop-socky movie back in the day!

Written By: apollonia1986 on 06/20/10 at 10:04 pm

Get the heck outta here! Jackie Chan is 53! Really? I guess all that leaping from buildings and back flipping keeps you young. But he looks good for his age. I mean i unknowing shaved 13 years off his age.  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...