inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Retro 80's backlash.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/29/10 at 11:30 am

I am slowly starting to notice, a backlash against the retro 80's comeback on internet, particually with film remakes, clothing making a comeback, and bands as well, with many hoping that it will end, feeling that it was forced on them, contrived and lame.

Has anyone else noticed it, either too?

???

Subject: Re: Retro 80's backlash.

Written By: Cory! on 07/29/10 at 5:48 pm

Oh I've been noticing that for a while now. Sucks for them because it doesn't look like its gonna
die down anytime soon :P I love the 80's comeback...especially the clothes.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/29/10 at 7:43 pm

For me, it boils down to those who haven't experienced the 80's (born during the 90's, and feeling more connected to that decade), just feeling that it's too silly, too popish, too over done or just would rather have someting more current, or just didn't like the decade.

I could be wrong, though.

Written By: Cory! on 07/29/10 at 8:18 pm

Yeahhh, I know us teenagers eat it up :P Its more the adults that experienced it already that don't like it.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/29/10 at 8:51 pm

Yeahhh, I know us teenagers eat it up :P Its more the adults that experienced it already that don't like it.

Pretty much.

Written By: robby76 on 07/30/10 at 12:58 am

Yep, cos I know I'm going to be hating 90s nostalgia when it's in it's full swing.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/30/10 at 10:40 am

Yep, cos I know I'm going to be hating 90s nostalgia when it's in it's full swing.

I'm dreading it, already.

;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/30/10 at 7:50 pm

My guess, is that there was a retro 50's backlash, during the 80's, due to the TV show, Happy Days, and a retro 60's backlash, during the 90's.

Written By: joeman on 07/31/10 at 12:28 pm

I am probably going to like the 90s nostalgia but hate it at the same time.  I swear, if it is anything like previous decades, you are going to have things like Nirvana and Friends go side-by-side despite the fact that Nirvana broke up a couple of months before Friends start appearing on the show.  It's going to happen, I know it.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/31/10 at 12:32 pm

I am probably going to like the 90s nostalgia but hate it at the same time.  I swear, if it is anything like previous decades, you are going to have things like Nirvana and Friends go side-by-side despite the fact that Nirvana broke up a couple of months before Friends start appearing on the show.  It's going to happen, I know it.

For me, it's just too darn soon, to have a retro 90's nostalgia wave.

Written By: Starde on 07/31/10 at 2:13 pm

I don't think we'll really start seeing a 90's nostalgia wave 'til the mid/late 2010s, even though I have noticed that tiny tidbits of it is already starting. For example, I've already noticed a few songs from today's music acts that are already sampling some popular early/mid 90s hits. And in regards to the whole retro 80's backlash that is happening, I've also noticed that it's more among adults (those born in the 70's, maybe very early 80's and before) than teens.

Written By: 2015 on 08/05/10 at 1:57 am

For me, it's just too darn soon, to have a retro 90's nostalgia wave.

Agreed, because even now, in the early 10's, even though the 90's IS quite a long time ago now, the overall feeling you get today is not all that different from what you got in the 90's. more because very little originality came out of the 00's than any fault of the 90's. something like lady gaga or katy perry would probably have been popular back in 1994 or whatever. the 80s, or early early 90s, is the most recent time still that would really feel like a different world in every way.

Written By: lynne on 08/08/10 at 9:51 am

I don't think you can ascribe the 'let's bring back the '80s' trend to any one age group. I've seen teens decked out in '80s style gear and then I've seen teens who think the whole thing's lame. Same way with adults. I've seen grown women who still sport poodle perms and acid wash jeans and others think those things (and more) were best left in the '80s. So it's really a matter of personal preference, not age.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/08/10 at 9:56 am

I don't think you can ascribe the 'let's bring back the '80s' trend to any one age group. I've seen teens decked out in '80s style gear and then I've seen teens who think the whole thing's lame. Same way with adults. I've seen grown women who still sport poodle perms and acid wash jeans and others think those things (and more) were best left in the '80s. So it's really a matter of personal preference, not age.

Also, a vary valid point as well.

Check for new replies or respond here...