inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Fame

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/20/10 at 9:40 pm

After watching the movie again, I realized something interesting about the film, the actor who played Emil, the bad guy in Robocop, who gets killed by a car, after getting acid dumped on him, and one of my favorite TV jerks of all time, Dr. Robert "Rocket" Romano, in the TV show, ER, is in this film.

And he has a great singing voice too!

Laura Dern, also has a role in the film, too.

Initially, I didn't like the film, when I first saw, but now after seeing it, for the third time, I actually kind of like the film, now!

By the way, I hear that the remake, kind of stinks.

::)

Has anyone seen that version yet?

???

Subject: Re: Fame

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 08/20/10 at 10:23 pm

I didn't LOVE  the old Fame movie at first when I saw it, but I do like it well enough now.  It was also my first exposure to Rocky Horror Picture Show.  ;D  Alot to take in at once.

I do love the soundtrack from the movie now, every now and then I'll break out randomly into "Out here on my own" or "Is it okay if I call you mine?"  (Paul McKay actually wrote that song himself when he was 16 or so.)

I've never bothered seeing the remake, it just seemed like it wasn't gonna be my style anyway.  Perhaps I'll give it a chance sometime.

I adored the t.v. series (or at least the first season or two of it anyway)...  I had all kinds of Fame memorabilia when I was a teen.  A live album of the cast singing and some kind of picture book as I recall.  I so wanted to go to the school, but you gotta have some kind of talent (of which I have none (other than watching television  ;) ).

Written By: lola669 on 08/20/10 at 10:25 pm

I saw this movie a long time ago, I can't say it was one of my favorites.  Maybe I should rent it and watch it again.

Isaac Mizrahi was also in this movie.

I think the it's Laura Dean not Dern, according to IMDB.

Written By: snozberries on 08/20/10 at 11:01 pm

I loved the original from the moment I first saw it in 1980. I was somewhat young, but I still understood the grittiness of it and that desire to be more.... you know... larger than life.

No mention of Debbie Allen's super small role that would explode in the TV series?  Like Patty I loved the TV series most because I was able to connect with and care about the characters on a long term basis...

I did see the new film. If you go in there expecting Fame (1980) you're going to hate it- but if you recognize that there have been changes to film styles and techniques in the last 30 years then you may appreciate it. It's not a remake. IF you think about it- the idea is that some talented kids go to school and hope to get discovered/famous sooner rather than later. 

The structure is the same in that the film follows the kids from freshman year to graduation.  You have overly ambitious students and students who think they know more than the teachers... I am willing to bet that this wasn't some anomaly designed for the screen. I bet every session the real teachers in the real school of the arts have to deal with these archetypes every year.  So I accepted the new film as just that- a new look at the school of the arts.

There was a lunch room jam and  a large graduation production number because these are iconic moments from the original film that you'd expect a film maker to pay homage to but the characters are all new...

the only issue I had was that Debbie Allen had a cameo and she did not play Lydia Grant... now Debbie Allen has been in the original film. the tv series, worked with the  stage play and even produced a reality tv show where they were going to find the next "fame" stars- triple threats who could sing, dance and act and were going to go on tour with the stage production or something.  They had Debbie Allen play a principal, mrs simpson or simon or something.... that is the one place they messed up... that character should have been Lydia Grant... no need to run from it- it wouldn't have changed the dynamic of the film in anyway-

I must say I did go into it expecting High School Musical.... and that's probably why I didn't mind it so much- It was better than HSM and it wasn't trying to be Fame as we knew it way back then....  I know- that's counter active to my Debbie as Lydia argument right? but if they were going to put debbie allen in the film they needed to acknowledge the history- that's completely different from showing us new characters named Coco, Bruno, Doris and Montgomery....

Oh one other issue with  it... they didn't do the best job with the time line- some of the stories needed to be fleshed out a bit more. We got the hint of the story but not a lot of chances to connect with the characters... If I remember correctly one yr- maybe it was soph? was all of 5 minutes or something? It seemed quick

all in all  Patty I think you'd enjoy it...or at least not hate it. Its not my favorite film but I'll watch it again.... someday!  :)

Written By: robby76 on 08/20/10 at 11:52 pm

I was young when the film was first released, but even throughout the 80s I wouldn't have called it a favourite of mine. However with the nostalgia bug hitting me, the film has grown on me in recent years and I do have it on dvd.

I too preferred the tv series - probably because I was older by then and able to take it in more. Still need to get this on dvd as I do love it!

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51DF59YPJ3L._SCLZZZZZZZ_AA250_Fame-The-Complete-First-Season.jpg

Written By: whistledog on 08/21/10 at 9:02 am

After watching the movie again, I realized something interesting about the film, the actor who played Emil, the bad guy in Robocop, who gets killed by a car, after getting acid dumped on him, and one of my favorite TV jerks of all time, Dr. Robert "Rocket" Romano, in the TV show, ER, is in this film.

Paul McCrane.  He also wrote songs for the film I do believe.  The episodes of ER after he gets a bionic arm, they call him Robo Doc

I haven't seen Fame the movie in many years, but I watched the TV series often, even got the newly packaged S1 S2 set.  Remember the Wizard of Ozz episode?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/21/10 at 9:54 am

I saw this movie a long time ago, I can't say it was one of my favorites.  Maybe I should rent it and watch it again.

Isaac Mizrahi was also in this movie.

I think the it's Laura Dean not Dern, according to IMDB.

Sorry, I hit the a button, rather than the r button.

;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/21/10 at 2:59 pm

Paul McCrane.  He also wrote songs for the film I do believe.  The episodes of ER after he gets a bionic arm, they call him Robo Doc

I haven't seen Fame the movie in many years, but I watched the TV series often, even got the newly packaged S1 S2 set.  Remember the Wizard of Ozz episode?

Off hand, I don't think that I have ever seen that episode.

Written By: snozberries on 08/21/10 at 6:43 pm

Off hand, I don't think that I have ever seen that episode.

It was great. they were doing a production of the Wizard of Oz and Doris gets conked on the head or passes out or something and "wakes" up in Oz.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/24/10 at 10:13 pm

I associate "Fame" with Irene Cara and Mario Van Peebles.  "Flashdance" was ubiquitous in the summer of '83!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/26/10 at 10:26 pm

I saw the remake of Fame recently, it sucked hardcore.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/26/10 at 10:47 pm

I saw the remake of Fame recently, it sucked hardcore.

Extra DVD footage?
???

Written By: snozberries on 08/27/10 at 11:50 am

I associate "Fame" with Irene Cara and Mario Van Peebles.  "Flashdance" was ubiquitous in the summer of '83!

why Mario Van Peebles?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/27/10 at 12:14 pm

Extra DVD footage?
???

No the recent remake, was pretty bad, not even extra DVD footage could save it!

;D

Written By: snozberries on 08/27/10 at 12:51 pm

No the recent remake, was pretty bad, not even extra DVD footage could save it!

;D

it wasn't that bad....and it wasn't a remake, technically, just like Karate Kid wasn't an actual remake of the original.... they were revisitiations.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/27/10 at 12:53 pm

it wasn't that bad....and it wasn't a remake, technically, just like Karate Kid wasn't an actual remake of the original.... they were revisitiations.

Good point.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/27/10 at 8:37 pm

why Mario Van Peebles?

I don't know...I must have been thinking of Nia Peeples who played Nicole in the TV series and a few dance hits later in the '80s.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/dontknow.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nia_Peeples

Written By: snozberries on 08/27/10 at 10:55 pm

I don't know...I must have been thinking of Nia Peeples who played Nicole in the TV series and a few dance hits later in the '80s.
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/dontknow.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nia_Peeples

that makes sense... I actually have Nia's album.

I thought maybe because Mario played Rappin John Hood in the movie Rappin you were confusing that somehow with fame.  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoGLoj1N9XE

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/27/10 at 11:10 pm

You got big dreams?
You want fame?
Well, fame costs!
And right here is where you start paying!
IN SWEAT!

And you teach in a performing arts high school, so you suck!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/jerk.gif

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/03/10 at 11:28 am

I think I only saw parts of the movie. But I used to watch the show all the time and loved it. I also love the title song. One of my best friends once told me that she used to think of me when she heard the song. Of course, this was the time when my dream was to be an actress and I was dancing.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 09/03/10 at 12:56 pm

I think I only saw parts of the movie. But I used to watch the show all the time and loved it. I also love the title song. One of my best friends once told me that she used to think of me when she heard the song. Of course, this was the time when my dream was to be an actress and I was dancing.

Cat

you can have Fame Cat... I'm taking "Bet Your Life It's Me!"  ;)  ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9gAME_APLc

Written By: snozberries on 09/03/10 at 1:01 pm

Here's a fun game I like to play when watching the early eps of the TV series.... it's called Find Jasmine Guy!  ;D
She was a background dancer but was not in every ep so it's fun to see if I can spot her.  ;D

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/03/10 at 1:35 pm

Here's a fun game I like to play when watching the early eps of the TV series.... it's called Find Jasmine Guy!  ;D
She was a background dancer but was not in every ep so it's fun to see if I can spot her.  ;D

I do the same thing with Janet Jackson videos and In Living Color where Jennifer Lopez was a dancer.

Written By: snozberries on 09/03/10 at 3:15 pm

I do the same thing with Janet Jackson videos and In Living Color where Jennifer Lopez was a dancer.

Yeah. That's a fun game too.

Check for new replies or respond here...