inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 80's nostalgia in music

Written By: ab on 09/01/10 at 7:32 pm

Ive noticed a huge wave of 80's influenced music recently such as this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWxJgMBsiWc

this is also hugely 80s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlJ27Dcv4fc

Subject: Re: 80's nostalgia in music

Written By: Starde on 09/06/10 at 5:05 pm

If I didn't know the first video was made in 2009, I would've thought it was made in the 80's! :o

Written By: Cory! on 09/06/10 at 6:26 pm

A lot of music nowadays seems like they're trying to blend 80's and some other type of
music with their songs...I dunno about you guys but Mike Posner's "Cooler Than Me" sounds really
80's...reminded me of "Tainted Love".

Written By: Starde on 09/06/10 at 7:45 pm

A lot of music nowadays seems like they're trying to blend 80's and some other type of
music with their songs...I dunno about you guys but Mike Posner's "Cooler Than Me" sounds really
80's...reminded me of "Tainted Love".

Funny, I was thinking the same thing yesterday! It does sound really 80's.

Written By: Cory! on 09/06/10 at 8:30 pm

and "I Like It" by Enrique Inglesias sorta has that sound to it, same with "Teenage Dream" by Katy Perry :P
I dunno but I LOVE the way music is starting to sound nowadays. A lot of artists are starting to put a lot of 80's
elements into their songs and it just turns out awesome. :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/06/10 at 11:18 pm

I recall a bunch of '80s samples in hip-hop ranging from Tears for Fears "Memories Fade" to Kenny Rogers & Dolly Parton "Islands In The Stream."  This has been going on since the nineties.  Earliest one I can think of is PM Dawn sampling Spandau Ballet's "True," which was 1989.

This isn't "nostalgia" so much as appropriating fine moments in '80s pop.  Okay Kenny Rogers & Dolly Parton was pretty chesty, uh, cheesy!  But it was fun song.
;)

Check for new replies or respond here...