inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Alan Parsons Project

Written By: joeman on 09/01/10 at 9:54 pm

Even though this band started in the 70s, I think they had the most success in the 80s.  Anyways, I am a huge fan of this band, as I love the mellow rock sounds and high production value.  I also love the concept of having different artists contributing to a cd.  My favorite song is Sirius, because Ricky Steamboat from the WWF used that theme during his run.  Anyone else a fan of APP?

Subject: Re: Alan Parsons Project

Written By: ADH13 on 09/01/10 at 9:56 pm

Yes, my favorite is "Time."  I also like "Old & Wise".

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/01/10 at 10:56 pm

APP -- not so much.  But I did like "Eye in the Sky." 

And Alan Parsons engineered "Dark Side of the Moon"!
8)

Written By: Frank on 09/02/10 at 1:07 am

I like these songs by Alan Parsons

Day after day (the show must go on)
Don't answer me
Eye in the sky
Games People play
I wouldn't want to be like you
Mammagamma
Old and wise
Silence and I
Sirius
Some other time
The turn of a friendly card (part 1)
Time
To one in paradise
You're gonna get your fingers burned

Back in high school, "I Robot" got lots of play at parties.  I listen to his stuff once in a while. Very creative man, used different lead singers  as well. Some of his instrumental songs are nice.

Written By: gibbo on 09/02/10 at 2:12 am

...and the Alan Parsons Project got a mention in one of the Austin Powers movies.... ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/02/10 at 10:50 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Duj2oZIC8U

I love the band by the way!

Andrew Powell, the arranger, conductor and composer for the band, also provided the soundtrack to the film, Ladyhawke.

One of my favorite film soundtracks, ever!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bugi35v1CKk

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/02/10 at 1:47 pm

I LOVE Alan Parsons.

Two of my favorites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZWBw_gupXE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=macZRpnZ7i4

Cat

Written By: Paul on 09/02/10 at 2:46 pm

Rather unfairly, they got plenty of short shrift in their home country simply because of their progressive leanings (see also Emerson, Lake & Palmer and Barclay James Harvest)...made several fine records though...

Sadly, long-term project member Eric Woolfson died last year... :(

Written By: whistledog on 09/02/10 at 3:45 pm

From their 'Eye in the Sky' album, they also had a Top 40 hit in Canada with a song called 'You're Gonna Get Your Fingers Burned'.  My favourite was always Don't Answer Me, followed by Games People Play.

Written By: Todd on 09/02/10 at 6:20 pm

My faves are "Dont Answer Me" and "Time".  Also, "Sirius" reminds me of the amazing Chicago Bulls!  During their run on top in the 90s, that song was played at home games when the team was introduced onto the court.

Written By: Frank on 09/02/10 at 6:32 pm

From their 'Eye in the Sky' album, they also had a Top 40 hit in Canada with a song called 'You're Gonna Get Your Fingers Burned'.  My favourite was always Don't Answer Me, followed by Games People Play.

I wonder why 'You're Gonna Get Your Fingers Burned' is not included in the greatest hits CD I have "The Essential Alan Parsons project"

Written By: joeman on 09/02/10 at 10:32 pm

Don't answer me
Eye in the sky
Games People play
Mammagamma
Old and wise
Silence and I
Sirius
Some other time
Time
To one in paradise

Back in high school, "I Robot" got lots of play at parties.  I listen to his stuff once in a while. Very creative man, used different lead singers  as well. Some of his instrumental songs are nice.

I really like the song Genesis V1 32.  Apparently, it isn't in the Bible, but the whole album was about robots taking over humanity.

Written By: joeman on 09/02/10 at 10:34 pm

Rather unfairly, they got plenty of short shrift in their home country simply because of their progressive leanings (see also Emerson, Lake & Palmer and Barclay James Harvest)...made several fine records though...

Sadly, long-term project member Eric Woolfson died last year... :(

Leslie Duncan died this year, and she contributed to one of their albums.  Apparently she was huge in the 70s and worked with Elton John.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/02/10 at 11:07 pm

Leslie Duncan died this year, and she contributed to one of their albums.  Apparently she was huge in the 70s and worked with Elton John.

I believe her name is/was Lesley Duncan.  She also sang back-up on Dark Side of the Moon.  Sad.  I did not know she had died.  Those back-up vocals on DSM were significant to me.  I'm not being facetious.  I heard the record all while I was growing up and then I went through my own DSM fetish when I was 16.  Listened to it all the time.  It's one of the most familiar pieces of music to me.

Written By: joeman on 09/02/10 at 11:25 pm

I believe her name is/was Lesley Duncan.  She also sang back-up on Dark Side of the Moon.  Sad.  I did not know she had died.  Those back-up vocals on DSM were significant to me.  I'm not being facetious.  I heard the record all while I was growing up and then I went through my own DSM fetish when I was 16.  Listened to it all the time.  It's one of the most familiar pieces of music to me.

I hear you on Dark Side on the Moon.  Apparently the record itself was on the Billboard 200 list for 741 weeks.  That is a very long time! 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/02/10 at 11:57 pm

I hear you on Dark Side on the Moon.  Apparently the record itself was on the Billboard 200 list for 741 weeks.   That is a very long time! 

I was one of the fans who helped keep it there. 
8)

Written By: whistledog on 09/03/10 at 9:09 pm

I wonder why 'You're Gonna Get Your Fingers Burned' is not included in the greatest hits CD I have "The Essential Alan Parsons project"

I often wonder that as well.  It never made the mainstream Canadian charts, but many parts of Canada ate it up.  It's major Top 40 appearance was on Toronto's legendary CHUM Chart, which was the first ever Top 40 chart in Canada.

http://www.webfitz.com/lyrics/Charts/1982/Ch198210.html

Written By: Frank on 09/05/10 at 12:31 am

I often wonder that as well.  It never made the mainstream Canadian charts, but many parts of Canada ate it up.  It's major Top 40 appearance was on Toronto's legendary CHUM Chart, which was the first ever Top 40 chart in Canada.

http://www.webfitz.com/lyrics/Charts/1982/Ch198210.html

Living in Toronto at the time, I remember the song well.

Written By: zcrito on 09/05/10 at 11:35 pm

Don't answer me
Eye in the sky
Games People play
Mammagamma
Old and wise
Silence and I
Sirius
Some other time
Time
To one in paradise

I miss Alan Parsons Project, and that's a great list of their best songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfeRJ4JBEHc

APP Disco!

Written By: zcrito on 09/16/10 at 12:44 pm

We need some more music from Alan.

This one's from his first album, and I guess it's Eric Woolfson doing the vocals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHNxBheFAt4
(The System Of) Doctor Tarr And Professor Fether - Alan Parsons Project

Written By: MrCleveland on 09/20/10 at 2:48 pm

Here's two that I like next to "Games People Play" and "Eye in the Sky"....

KJBTOC3Mfpk

QkqAEjZfVv8

Written By: Doc Brown on 09/21/10 at 3:41 pm

I really like the song Genesis V1 32.  Apparently, it isn't in the Bible, but the whole album was about robots taking over humanity.

The title referred to a new chapter in human history. If you look, Genesis Chapter 1 only has 31 verses. Clearly, I loved the I, Robot album! I wished they'd used some APP music in the 2004 movie.

Here are all their albums, in order:

Tales Of Mystery And Imagination
I, Robot
Pyramid
Eve
Turn Of A Friendly Card
The Sicilian Defence (unreleased)
Eye In The Sky
Ammonia Avenue
Vulture Culture
Stereotomy
Gaudi
Freudiana (released under Woolfson's name, but with same band)

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Check for new replies or respond here...