inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Camouflage (The Band)

Written By: ADH13 on 09/09/10 at 1:43 pm

A couple of their songs got a lot of airplay here in the late 80's... I was surprised when I used one of their songs on a quiz and found that they weren't as well known as I thought.

Has anyone heard of them?  They were often mistaken for Depeche Mode when they first came on the radio here.

"The Great Commandment" was their most well-known.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SXODGahChBM

...but I think I like "Love Is A Shield" a little more.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pedLzijNCHc

Subject: Re: Camouflage (The Band)

Written By: whistledog on 09/09/10 at 6:39 pm

Depeche Mode sound a likes indeed, but still a great trio.  'The Great Commandment' made them OHW in the US, even though it missed the Top 40.

I have 'Voices & Images' and 'Meanwhile' on Cassette and the 12" of 'The Great Commandment'

Written By: ChuckyG on 09/09/10 at 7:29 pm

I know they're in my favorites list... I thought they had a former Depeche Mode member in their ranks, but Wikipedia lets me know I'm confusing them with someone else.

not sure where I first heard that song, probably an 80s compilation, I don't think it got much airplay in my area.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/09/10 at 9:44 pm

Karma to Odyssey for posting this thread!
:)

I still listen to "Voices and Images" (1987).  Camouflage (from Germany) cites their primary as YMO (Yellow Magic Orchestra). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellow_Magic_Orchestra

Camouflage drew comparison first to Depeche Mode.  YMO has more of a niche audience of synth-pop and progressive rock fans.  Camouflage evidently did take cues from DM, and they would have been foolish not to in the eighties.

Written By: ADH13 on 09/09/10 at 10:55 pm

I have 'Voices & Images' and 'Meanwhile' on Cassette and the 12" of 'The Great Commandment'

I still listen to "Voices and Images" (1987).

I actually never owned any of their albums, I just taped the two above songs from the radio, and later downloaded the same two songs.  Are the rest of their songs any good?

I think they compare well to the middle-of-the-road Depeche Mode songs - probably not quite as good as the best of DM but definitely better than some of DM's stuff.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/09/10 at 11:17 pm

I actually never owned any of their albums, I just taped the two above songs from the radio, and later downloaded the same two songs.  Are the rest of their songs any good?

I think they compare well to the middle-of-the-road Depeche Mode songs - probably not quite as good as the best of DM but definitely better than some of DM's stuff.

I only had "Voices & Images," which was their first.  It's comparable to "Construction Time Again" DM.  They use a lot of sociopolitical lyrics with a similar sort of robotic synth-pop.  Camouflage doesn't quite measure up to Depeche Mode, but their songs are all solid -- at least on "Voices & Images."

Written By: ladybug316 on 09/10/10 at 7:42 pm

I haven't listened to these guys in a looooong time.  I used to have "Voices and Images" on tape and someone lifted it from me! 

Check for new replies or respond here...