inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: D.C. Follies

Written By: Zeb on 09/17/10 at 7:56 pm

A few weeks ago I discovered this show on www.hulu.com.  D.C. Follies was comedy program starring Fred Willard (I guess this is where America was introduced to him) as a bar tender at a Washington D.C. watering hole.  Like the U.K’s Spitting Image D.C. Follies used puppets to put a satirical spin on politicians and celebrities of the time.  From what I can tell this show wasn’t on for long only maybe a season or two, but I have no idea which network.  My question is for those of you that are from the 80s is do you even remember this show existing?

Here is a link to an episode for you if you want to look...

http://www.hulu.com/watch/38621/dc-follies-nixon-gives-fred-financial-advice%E2%80%A6and-he-loses-his-shirt#x-0,vepisode,1,0

Subject: Re: D.C. Follies

Written By: gmann on 09/18/10 at 6:01 am

This show was a hoot! It was syndicated nationally, meaning that it wasn't exclusive to stations of a specific network; ABC, CBS, etc. In my town it ran just before "Star Trek: The Next Generation". I believe "D.C. Follies" ran for two seasons, but my memory may be failing me at the moment.
By this time (1987-1988), Fred Willard was already known for his time as co-host of "Funny People", a predecessor of sorts for "America's Funniest Home Videos". Prior to that, he was probably best known as Martin Mull's sidekick on the talk show spoofs "Fernwood Tonight"/"America Tonight".

Written By: Reynolds1863 on 09/18/10 at 12:07 pm

I remember watching D.C. Follies when it first came out.  Didn't understand most of it because I was a kid.  Now I think it's funny.

Written By: Davester on 09/18/10 at 1:55 pm

Never heard of this show...

Check for new replies or respond here...