inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: was anyone here a tears for fears fan in the '80s?

Written By: fido-dido on 09/18/10 at 9:42 pm

i have about 20 badges , posters, patches, and loads of other memorabilia...

Subject: Re: was anyone here a tears for fears fan in the '80s?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/19/10 at 12:55 am

Careful what you say.  Somebody, not I, will strike you down for getting it wrong about Primal Therapy and what TFF records were and were not about Nuclear war.
::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/19/10 at 3:48 am

I like the songs of TTF during the 80's

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/19/10 at 12:11 pm

Me too!

Written By: Todd on 09/19/10 at 4:26 pm

I was and still am a fan.  "Mad World" and all the songs from that album were my favorites from them.

Written By: Davester on 09/19/10 at 5:11 pm

They had a few decent songs.  All I know from TFF is what was on the radio...

Written By: ADH13 on 09/19/10 at 5:13 pm

I wasn't crazy about them but didn't mind them either.

Written By: Frank on 09/20/10 at 1:38 am

I liked a handful of their songs, and use to have a CD of their greatest hits.

Written By: whistledog on 09/20/10 at 12:49 pm

Tears for Fears were a smash success from the get go almost everywhere except the U.S.
'the Hurting' was overlooked in the States, and I never understood why.

I've been a fan since I was a kid.  'Change' was one of my all-time favourites growing up.

Written By: Paul on 09/20/10 at 2:03 pm

Heh! I bet hardly anyone remembers them in this guise...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oUqRXz9KkA

...when Curt & Roly were part of a mod/ska outfit called Graduate (circa 1980)

Written By: Bobby on 09/21/10 at 6:20 pm

Yep, I have been, and still am a fan of 'Tears for Fears'. My favourite song is probably 'Everybody wants to rule the world'. It seemed to define an era for me.

I love the video, Paul. Thanks for showing it.  8)

Written By: zcrito on 09/24/10 at 1:38 pm

Their song "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" was *very* popular on MTV in early 1985. I remember it (the video) well !
That one and "Shout" were heard quite often in 1985, but the one I really like, "Head Over Heels" didn't get as much play on radio or MTV, although it's probably the one I'll catch on the radio nowadays more than any of their other songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sZzCyJVb4o

And don't forget their last great song, "Sowing the Seeds of Love", which came out as the '80s were coming to an end.

Correction.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/24/10 at 9:25 pm

Their song "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" was *very* popular on MTV in early 1985. I remember it (the video) well !
That one and "Shout" were heard quite often in 1985, but the one I really like, "Head Over Heels" didn't get as much play on radio or MTV, although it's probably the one I'll catch on the radio nowadays more than any of their other songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sZzCyJVb4o

And don't forget their last great song, "Sowing the Seeds of Love", which came out as the '80s were coming to an end.

Correction.

They did a few albums in the '90s, but I think mostly loyal TFF fans bought those!
;D

Written By: whistledog on 09/24/10 at 11:16 pm

The video for 'Head Over Heels' was filmed at the University of Toronto.  I worked with a guy who said that library has a signed picture of the duo hanging on the wall

Written By: Frank on 09/25/10 at 1:15 am

The video for 'Head Over Heels' was filmed at the University of Toronto.  I worked with a guy who said that library has a signed picture of the duo hanging on the wall

Really? I was attending U of T at the time. Dang. I missed that.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/25/10 at 1:03 pm

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a cool video, too!

Written By: zcrito on 09/25/10 at 8:14 pm

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a cool video, too!

Me thinks you really like "Head over Heels" because it was used in the movie "Donnie Darko".  ???

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/25/10 at 8:30 pm

Me thinks you really like "Head over Heels" because it was used in the movie "Donnie Darko".  ???

Off hand, yes, but I also liked the song way before the film came out, as well.

The film, Real Genius (a really great and under rated film, by the way), also has a Tears For Fears song, in it too.

Namely, Everybody Wants To Rule The World.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/25/10 at 8:52 pm

Songs from the Big Chair was a great album.  I also like the later stuff, including Seeds of Love.

It's a really great video, and is very visually stunning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbvxALFWvHs

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/25/10 at 10:12 pm

"Sowing" what a great song.  They threw in everything but the kitchen sink!
:)

Written By: Gis on 09/26/10 at 3:42 am

Loved 'The Hurting'. I went to see them in 1983 on the back of that album. They were huge in the U.K at the time.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/26/10 at 1:58 pm

Loved 'The Hurting'. I went to see them in 1983 on the back of that album. They were huge in the U.K at the time.

"The Hurting" is one of my all-time favorite albums.  "Change" and "Pale Shelter" were indie hits in the States, but it wasn't until "Songs from the Big Chair" that TFF broke through bigtime over here.  That one sold something over five million copies here in the 24 months.  They sort of blew all their powder at once and they couldn't beat that Big Chair success.  Even though "The Seeds of Love" went U.S. platinum (1m+).  Reaction was:
"Hey, Tears for Fears are back!"
"Oh?  Yeah, I remember those guys."
:-\\

Written By: fido-didi on 09/27/10 at 8:31 am

Me thinks you really like "Head over Heels" because it was used in the movie "Donnie Darko".  ???

Can't anyone have a TFF discussion WITHOUT mentioning Donnie Darko? Don't get me wrong, I can't say as I dislike the film....In all honesty, I haven't seen it. I just tire of hearing about it...and it seems today's youth think Gary Jules wrote 'Mad World'....sigh

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/27/10 at 10:29 pm

Can't anyone have a TFF discussion WITHOUT mentioning Donnie Darko? Don't get me wrong, I can't say as I dislike the film....In all honesty, I haven't seen it. I just tire of hearing about it...and it seems today's youth think Gary Jules wrote 'Mad World'....sigh

It's true.  I had to inform a singer-songwriter program host that TFF wrote "Mad World," not Gary Jules.  He was grateful to know.  Of course, he could have also looked over his program notes before hand.  I like to mention who wrote the piece as well as who performed it.  That's what you have to do when you get into jazz and classical after all...anyway  that's all radio chit-chat. 

Written By: zcrito on 09/28/10 at 10:22 am

I mentioned D.Darko since he's in one of the pictures at the bottom of all Penny Wise posts...

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/28/10 at 4:05 pm

I mentioned D.Darko since he's in one of the pictures at the bottom of all Penny Wise posts...

Fair enough.

Written By: Bobby on 09/28/10 at 5:01 pm

Donnie Darko is alright. I was told it was a brilliant film, watched it and thought it could have been better but that's me. I'm difficult to please, lol.

I used to get annoyed that people didn't go beyond the surface of music to find out different (and orginal versions) of the same song but there is no point. I was the same at one time. I got angry that Boy George covered, what I thought to be Ken Boothe's original version of 'Everything I own' in 1974. It would be 10 years later that I would understand David Gates of Bread wrote the original (and very different in contrast) version in 1972. We can all fall foul of it, lol.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/28/10 at 10:36 pm

I hated what Kanye West did with "Memories Fade."
::)

Written By: Ashkicksass on 09/30/10 at 9:18 pm

Listening to "Head Over Heels" right now.  LOVE THIS SONG. 

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/01/10 at 9:04 am

Me too!

Written By: zcrito on 10/01/10 at 10:23 am

Your taste in music is excellent. It exactly coincides with my own!
-- King Henry VIII in the movie "A Man for All Seasons".

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/01/10 at 10:06 pm

Me too!

Me three! 

Then the high school marching band under the direction of Mr. Slimeball* did their rendition.  The song could no longer be cool...not for me! 

* A free-association nickname I had for his real name, which I'm not going to use because he's probably out there somewhere.  It took twenty years to wind down from that one!  I wasn't in the band but I had friends in the band and I a few bad run-ins with the dufus.  He had a Doug Niedermeyer style of teaching, which I know turned some students off to music for life.  That's a crime in my book.
::) ;D

Written By: Stinkyy on 10/06/10 at 9:37 pm

http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af9/Da_Snauce/P4170104.jpg

Why yes, I was.

And I just saw them a few weeks ago.

Check for new replies or respond here...