inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Back To The Future

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/28/10 at 9:16 pm

Awesome news Back To The Futures, fans!

It's sooooo awesome, it's beyond awesome!

http://www.avclub.com/articles/back-to-the-future-returning-to-theaters-the-right,45706/

Subject: Re: Back To The Future

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/28/10 at 10:29 pm

I saw it in the theater twice and always watch it if it's on. 

The first is a classic.  The sequels have some good bits too. 

Crispin Glover is totally bizarre!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e18eE33juE8&feature=related

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/29/10 at 1:38 am

I plan to see it again!

Written By: Davester on 09/29/10 at 1:59 am

To do it right I'd have to watch Beyond Thunderdome in the adjacent room, then sneak into BTTF during the previews...

Written By: zcrito on 09/29/10 at 1:39 pm

Just think, in less than five years we can all look back at 1985 the way Marty McFly did 1955 ?

And I've, unfortunately, known people who act like George McFly (Crispin Glover), except when he's on David Letterman.
(Note to self: NEVER appear "in character" on any talk show. The risk of failure is way too great.  :-[ )

Written By: Frank on 09/29/10 at 9:08 pm

I remember going to the theaters on a day off from my summer job (back in I think May 1985) . I just got paid the friday before and wanted to SPEND SPEND SPEND!  :)
I was really into Marilyn Monroe at the time, and I had bought a few 8 by10's of her, since, for the 1st time in a year, they were on sale 1/2 price!
Then I walked by the movie theater nearby. It was early afternoon, and they were showing Back to the future and Rambo part II as a matinee, I suppose.

Saw both films. I thought both were fabulous. But Back to the future left me with a better feeling and smile on my face. One of my favorite movies ever and one of my favorite days ever. I still remember the feeling I had from that day after coming home, and it's 25 years ago.

I have seen Back to the future at least 15 times, and will see it 15 more times, if I have the chance.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/29/10 at 10:59 pm

Just think, in less than five years we can all look back at 1985 the way Marty McFly did 1955 ?

And I've, unfortunately, known people who act like George McFly (Crispin Glover), except when he's on David Letterman.
(Note to self: NEVER appear "in character" on any talk show. The risk of failure is way too great.  :-http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/coolman.gif

One time in the course of telling a joke, a drunk and senile Buddy Hackett shouted the phrased "cow's vagina."  David let out one his bogus chuckles and gave the uncomfortable grimace as if to say, "I really wished you hadn't said that.  We were taping and we're over budget and out of time!"
;D

Written By: gmann on 10/01/10 at 1:25 pm

My sister and I saw BTTF when it was originally released. I still love it. The part where Marty does his Eddie Van Halen bit and brings the dance ot a screeching halt struck us as especially funny at the time.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/01/10 at 10:07 pm

I saw Back To The Future in the theater when it first came out, and I'll never forget how the audience cheered loudly and broke into thunderous applause when George McFly knocked Biff out. I've seen very few movies before or since that have drawn such a strong emotional response from the audience (maybe a few of Tarantino's films).

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/01/10 at 10:28 pm

I saw Back To The Future in the theater when it first came out, and I'll never forget how the audience cheered loudly and broke into thunderous applause when George McFly knocked Biff out. I've seen very few movies before or since that have drawn such a strong emotional response from the audience (maybe a few of Tarantino's films).

It's a perfect underdog story. 
:)

Written By: whistledog on 10/02/10 at 3:15 pm

I'll never forget how the audience cheered loudly and broke into thunderous applause when George McFly knocked Biff out.

Thanks for ruining the ending  >:(

Oh yeah, in 'The Sixth Sense', Bruce Willis is dead
In 'Arlington Road', the terrorist wins
In 'Titanic', the ship sinks

:D

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/02/10 at 3:19 pm

Saw it today and loved every minute of it!

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/02/10 at 5:08 pm

Already done.  It came out earlier this year and was called The Hot Tub Time Machine.

(BTTF is actually one of the few movie franchises that could benefit from a reboot.  The parents who enjoyed BTTF's reconstruction of the 50s are now mostly grandparents, and would likely enjoy it as much as the BTTF generation would enjoy a trip back to the 80s.  Just set it in 2010, and have McFly's kids as the stars.)

Written By: zcrito on 10/03/10 at 1:54 pm

Already done.  It came out earlier this year and was called The Hot Tub Time Machine.

Yes!
You are correct.

But...didn't they just go back to 1986?
And as anyone who's lived the '80s knows, each year is as distinct and unique as a snowflake, so 1985 is waaaayy different than say 1986.  ::)

Springsteen, Madonna
Way before Nirvana
There was U2 and Blondie
And music still on MTV
Her two kids in high school
They tell her that she’s uncool
Cause she's still preoccupied
With 19, 19, 1985

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/11/10 at 7:47 pm

Now they just need to rerelease this.  :o :o :o

http://www.horreur.net/img/backside-tothefuture-aff.jpg

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/12/10 at 11:22 pm

Thanks for ruining the ending  >:(

If you cared about BTTF so little you don't know the ending after 25 years, chances are you wouldn't be posting on a BTTF thread!
:)

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/14/10 at 10:14 pm

The first is a classic.  The sequels have some good bits too. 

That laugh totally reminds me of my dad when he's watching Sanford and Son.  :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/14/10 at 11:40 pm

That laugh totally reminds me of my dad when he's watching Sanford and Son.  :)

Sanford and Son? (insert Crispin Glover laugh here)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WqazleR3FE

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/15/10 at 8:23 pm

You can now own a piece of film history!

http://www.avclub.com/articles/buy-a-whole-bunch-of-back-to-the-future-props-for,46431/

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/16/10 at 4:06 pm

Now they just need to rerelease this.  :o :o :o

When this .torrent hitss 88kbps, you're gonna see some serious...

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/16/10 at 4:08 pm

When this .torrent hitss 88kbps, you're gonna see some serious...
Noticed at the botom of this webpage:

"Page created in 0.088 seconds with 24 queries."

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/17/10 at 7:37 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pj_SPgUCsko

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/17/10 at 8:37 pm

The first is a classic.  The sequels have some good bits too.  

When I was in high school I sat to a couple of football players in my biology class, and I used to always bust them up with my impression of George McFly laughing.  :D

Written By: whistledog on 10/18/10 at 2:34 pm

October 26, the BTTF Trilogy hits Blu-Ray.  I cannot wait.
I hope they never do a 3-D version of the trilogy, cause if they did, that 3-D shark, would be in 6-D and would still look fake.

Take that Max Spielberg :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/18/10 at 9:44 pm

When I was in high school I sat to a couple of football players in my biology class, and I used to always bust them up with my impression of George McFly laughing.  :D

I used to do the George McFly laugh to annoy my sister!
;)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/23/10 at 6:17 pm

Fellow Penguins, today is the day, the movie is in theaters, for a limited time!

I went there today, and the experience was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The theater was packed, everyone had fun, and it being the first and time, that I saw it on the big screen, made it all the more enjoyable!

Plus, I got a free flyer and poster!

Written By: Bobby on 10/24/10 at 5:10 pm

Fellow Penguins, today is the day, the movie is in theaters, for a limited time!

I went there today, and the experience was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The theater was packed, everyone had fun, and it being the first and time, that I saw it on the big screen, made it all the more enjoyable!

Plus, I got a free flyer and poster!

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Back to the Future is a brilliant watch anytime but all the more special on the big screen the way it was intended.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/25/10 at 8:09 pm

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Back to the Future is a brilliant watch anytime but all the more special on the big screen the way it was intended.

I agree!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/10/10 at 8:13 pm

I think Back to the Future has run its course with me.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/10/10 at 8:25 pm

I think Back to the Future has run its course with me.

Then why don't you make like a tree...and get outta here!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/buck.gif

Written By: Tanya1976 on 11/10/10 at 10:59 pm

Then why don't you make like a tree...and get outta here!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/buck.gif

hahaha!

He's an idiot. Comes from upbringing. His parents are probably idiots too. Lorraine, if you ever have a kid that acts that way I'll disown you.

Written By: Doc Brown on 11/15/10 at 12:34 am

My sister and I saw BTTF when it was originally released. I still love it. The part where Marty does his Eddie Van Halen bit and brings the dance ot a screeching halt struck us as especially funny at the time.

That part's cool, I also love when Marty sneaks in to George's bedroom in the radiation suit, blasts him awake with Van Halen on the walkman, and says, "Silence Earthling! My name is Darth Vader. I am an Extra-Terrestrial from the planet Vulcan!"

Whistle, George decking Biff isn't even the end of the movie!

And Tanya? All Biff had was his Grandma, who was probably too senile to raise him right. If she was still living in 1985, she'd probably spend her Sunday nights still trying to find Gunsmoke on the TV. :P

Any more thoughts?

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

P.S.: Hey, with my name, you knew I had to weigh in on this sometime!

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/15/10 at 12:47 am

After seeing BTTF a few weeks back I was shocked to see it on TV yesterday

Written By: ralfy on 07/21/15 at 3:57 am

"Cast of Back to the Future reunites to mark film’s 30th anniversary"

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/07/cast-of-back-to-the-future-reunites-to-mark-films-30th-anniversary/

Written By: Howard on 07/21/15 at 1:34 pm

"Cast of Back to the Future reunites to mark film’s 30th anniversary"

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/07/cast-of-back-to-the-future-reunites-to-mark-films-30th-anniversary/

I was hoping they'd do another Back to the Future 4 but being Michael has Parkinson it's not possible.

Written By: whistledog on 07/21/15 at 3:16 pm

I was hoping they'd do another Back to the Future 4 but being Michael has Parkinson it's not possible.

There already is a Back to the Future 4

Written By: Howard on 07/22/15 at 1:29 pm

There already is a Back to the Future 4

I think I meant Back To The Future 5.

Written By: Elor on 07/22/15 at 2:50 pm

Funny, I never heard of a 4th movie and German Wikipedia also doesn't mention anything about it. :o
There are plenty of pages though that deal with that there isn't a 4th one...o_O

Written By: whistledog on 07/22/15 at 2:51 pm

^ I never said it was a movie lol

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/22/15 at 4:05 pm

^ I never said it was a movie lol
Just a reunion.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/23/15 at 12:18 am

I'd very much see a remake of Back to the Future, with the dates updated to fit the current era.  It would more likely than not be a lot weaker than the original, but the use of different time periods could add a fresh and interesting twist to the story.  If any classic film deserves a remake, Back to the Future is it, in my opinion.

Written By: Howard on 07/23/15 at 3:33 pm

I'd very much see a remake of Back to the Future, with the dates updated to fit the current era.  It would more likely than not be a lot weaker than the original, but the use of different time periods could add a fresh and interesting twist to the story.  If any classic film deserves a remake, Back to the Future is it, in my opinion.

Where else can they travel to besides 1955 and the 1800's? ???

Written By: #Infinity on 07/23/15 at 9:32 pm

Where else can they travel to besides 1955 and the 1800's? ???

I just figure if there was a remake of the movie, the starting point would be present day, so Marty would probably travel back to the 80s or 90s to meet his parents as teens.  The different technology and attitudes would mean that the producers would have to modify the plot in a lot of ways in order to make sense.  For instance, Marty would probably sing Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit instead of Chuck Berry's Johnny B. Goode at the dance, while George McFly would be watching the rebooted Twilight Zone instead of Science Fiction Theatre.  The comparison between the (real) 2010s vs 80s is very different from the 80s vs the 50s.  Knowing current hollywood trends, I wouldn't be surprised if they switched up some of the races, genders, or even sexualities.

In Back to the Future Part II, Marty was originally supposed to go to 1967, a year before he was born, to rid Biff of the sports almanac, but the producers decided to go with 1955 instead.

Written By: Howard on 07/24/15 at 7:05 am

I just figure if there was a remake of the movie, the starting point would be present day, so Marty would probably travel back to the 80s or 90s to meet his parents as teens.  The different technology and attitudes would mean that the producers would have to modify the plot in a lot of ways in order to make sense.  For instance, Marty would probably sing Nirvana's Smells Like Teen Spirit instead of Chuck Berry's Johnny B. Goode at the dance, while George McFly would be watching the rebooted Twilight Zone instead of Science Fiction Theatre.  The comparison between the (real) 2010s vs 80s is very different from the 80s vs the 50s.  Knowing current hollywood trends, I wouldn't be surprised if they switched up some of the races, genders, or even sexualities.

In Back to the Future Part II, Marty was originally supposed to go to 1967, a year before he was born, to rid Biff of the sports almanac, but the producers decided to go with 1955 instead.

I like that idea.

Written By: ralfy on 04/17/16 at 12:01 pm

"Crispin Glover has plenty to say about 'Back to the Future'"

http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/scene/popculture/pop-culture-crispin-glover-has-plenty-to-say-about-back/article_73e557dc-6484-5622-9943-3c04cf8c78df.html

Written By: Starlighter on 04/22/16 at 1:09 am

"Crispin Glover has plenty to say about 'Back to the Future'"

http://www.tulsaworld.com/blogs/scene/popculture/pop-culture-crispin-glover-has-plenty-to-say-about-back/article_73e557dc-6484-5622-9943-3c04cf8c78df.html

Thanks for sharing the article.  This is the first time I have heard Glover's side of things.  When I saw Back to the Future 2 and 3 I thought it was him.  Then I watched one of the anniversary DVD's where they said that it wasn't him.     

Check for new replies or respond here...