inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who was the best female supermodel of the '80s?

Written By: yelimsexa on 09/30/10 at 1:07 pm

Naomi Campbell recently stated how her generation are the "real models" compared to what's current, and it's a good time to get some appreciation from this era; the ads that they were featured in at the time really were cool looking. Check this site out for some pictures from the '80s of them:

http://forums.thefashionspot.com/f79/vintage-ads-1980s-fashion-accessories-68882-5.html

It really can bring back memories of shopping in that nice mall/department store looking throught them.

Subject: Re: Who was the best female supermodel of the '80s?

Written By: Ashkicksass on 09/30/10 at 1:20 pm

I voted for Brooke Shields and Cindy Crawford, but for me, the quinessential 80's supermodel will always be Christy Brinkley.  She was so fresh faced and such an 80's icon.  I don't think anyone can compare!

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/30/10 at 2:08 pm

Brooke Shields and Christy Brinkley get my votes.

Written By: gibbo on 09/30/10 at 7:13 pm

From the list ... I picked Cindy Crawford (who was the most beautiful IMO).  Missing from the list (that I would have added) are Elle McPherson and Claudia Schiffer.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 09/30/10 at 8:00 pm

Oh Claudia Schiffer!  I forgot about her!  Schwing!

Written By: Entouch on 10/02/10 at 7:34 am

When think of Supermodels naturally you think of Cindy Crawford, Linda Evanglista, Naimi Campbell, Christy Turlington etc... but to me you didnt know their names after 1988 that's when their popularity soared.
As a teenager in the start of the 80s and my older sister buying Seventeen Cosmopolitan Glamour and Mademoiselle magazines. I can recall seeing alot of pics of Christie Brinkley, Kim Alexis, Paulina Povikova Brooke Shields, Carol Alt, Elle McPherson and yes Isabella Rosselini.

Who was the best? 
Christie Brinkley

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/02/10 at 5:12 pm

you didnt know their names

Sure we did.  The names all ended in .JPG, but yeah, we knew the filenames.

Written By: Bobby on 10/02/10 at 5:56 pm

I went for 'other'. I'm not entirely sure she is a 'supermodel' but Linda Lusardi is a well known model to British blokes of a certain age. I couldn't believe she is in her early 50s.  :)

http://www.lindalusardiofficial.com/

Written By: danootaandme on 10/02/10 at 6:01 pm

I'd say Christie Brinkley

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/02/10 at 11:11 pm

Do they call male models "supermodels."  Maybe they do.  I just checked the female ones...and stuff from my dad's old Playboy collection.
:)

The prime candidate for the greatest supermodel of the eighties is indeed Christie Brinkley.  She did a faux-nude scene with Chevy Chase.  What more does a gal gotta do?
???

Written By: stingr22 on 11/19/10 at 12:13 am

I voted for Cindy Crawford and Paulina Portrikova.  You missed Christie Brinkley and Cheryl Tiegs though.

Written By: Frank on 11/19/10 at 12:23 am

I voted for Cindy Crawford and Paulina Portrikova.  You missed Christie Brinkley and Cheryl Tiegs though.

I would have voted for Cheryl Tiegs and Christie Brinkley

Written By: whistledog on 11/20/10 at 4:02 pm

Christie Brinkley and in support of a fellow Canuck, gotta pick Linda Evangelista

Check for new replies or respond here...