inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Arcades are becoming so sparse, Disney is opening one up as a nostalgic thing

Written By: ChuckyG on 10/07/10 at 10:59 pm

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2010/10/catapult-back-to-1982-at-flynns-arcade-at-electronica/

It's part of the TRON "sequel" that's coming out, and only open for a limited time from what I gathered.

Subject: Re: Arcades are becoming so sparse, Disney is opening one up as a nostalgic thing

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/08/10 at 10:09 pm

Awesome!

Subject: Re: Arcades are becoming so sparse, Disney is opening one up as a nostalgic thing

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/12/10 at 11:50 pm

I'm surprised it took so long!

Written By: whistledog on 10/14/10 at 8:11 pm

I would hope two of the games in their arcade would be 'Tron' (the one with the light cycles) and the classic 'Discs of Tron'

Written By: apollonia1986 on 10/14/10 at 10:05 pm

There's an arcade at the mall here in my town.

I try to go in there, but I usually drift down a few stores down to Macy's and leave my boyfriend playing Dance Dance Revolution by himself.  ::)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/14/10 at 11:45 pm

My interest in arcades disappeared when I was sixteen and has never returned.
:(

Written By: Bobby on 10/16/10 at 1:40 pm

Cool Chucky.  8)

Xbox360 and Playstation 3 consoles are able to do big things these days and so going to an arcade specifically to play video games (especially if the weather isn't nice) is becoming less of an attraction.

Subject: Re: Arcades are becoming so sparse, Disney is opening one up as a nostalgic thin

Written By: CatsLairArchives on 11/15/10 at 6:45 am

I do not suppose that anyone would know how I could obtain a pair of tokens to add to the collection?

Written By: yelimsexa on 11/15/10 at 12:22 pm

The last arcade in my region to have an arcade (Maryland) was the Arundel Mills Mall at a place called Jillian's, open from 2000 to about 2003. It was quite advanced from the classic '80s-styled arcades. However it was expensive, using swipe cards instead of actual money (for instance skee ball was 50 cents instead of a quarter), and there was also a sports bar/pool area, making it a bid unfriendly for younger audiences.

Now instead of an arcade, there will be a slot parlor instead, which really shows how culture has changed. And now with thousands of smartphone apps, it seems like the final nail in the coffin for visiting an arcade at the mall has been hammered.

I feel somebody needs to publish a book chronichling the rise and fall of video arcades, given all we have are a few bits and pieces here (I don't want to use Wikipedia as a last resort).

Check for new replies or respond here...