inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I feel the need.....

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/14/10 at 9:35 pm

The need for a sequel!

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/entertainment/top-gun-sequel-in-the-works-25-years-on/story-e6frf96f-1225939119698

Subject: Re: I feel the need.....

Written By: Bobby on 10/16/10 at 1:42 pm

Really? I don't, lol.  ;)

Top Gun had it's day. I do wonder if the sequel to Wall Street would have got made if there hadn't been a worldwide recession.  ???

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/16/10 at 4:04 pm

Top Gun worked (as both a movie and a recruitment aid for the Navy) because it came out during the last era during which dogfighting was still a "fair fight", and because the F-14, as much time as she spent in the hangar, was one freakin' beautiful airplane.  The F-22 is prettier yet, but it so far outclasses anything else in the sky that... well... it wouldn't be a fair fight.  There'll probably never be a manned aircraft that can outperform it in a dogfight, because we've reached the stage at which the human in the cockpit is the limiting factor for how hard an aircraft can turn. 

With that in mind, here's the complete leaked storyboard for Top Gun 2:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_cM5vw5dzmtI/RfVnoi9Z_TI/AAAAAAAAADs/7Pobhs2CQME/s320/bambimeetsgodzilla.jpg

Scene 1 of 2: Somewhere in the desert, a guy in a trailer presses a button.
Scene 2 of 2: The bad guy's plane blows up.

As cool as Top Gun?  As much fun as hopping into your plane and risking your life against insurmountable odds?  Nope.  But war's never been about giving the bad guy a fair shot at you just to make it more fun for the viewer.

(Hollywood would never go for this, but I'd love to see the novels from Dale Brown's Flight of the Old Dog universe turned into movies.  You can still tell interesting stories about people doing interesting things during an age of drone warfare.  But it takes a lot more work than Hollywood would want to put into it.)

Written By: Davester on 10/16/10 at 11:05 pm

Must they..?

Check for new replies or respond here...