inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sony to offically retire the Walkman.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/24/10 at 3:24 pm

After retiring the floppy disk in March, Sony has halted the manufacture and distribution of another now-obsolete technology: the cassette Walkman, the first low-cost, portable music player.

The final batch was shipped to Japanese retailers in April, according to IT Media. Once these units are sold, new cassette Walkmans will no longer be available through the manufacturer.

The first generation Walkman (which was called the Soundabout in the U.S., and the Stowaway in the UK) was released on July 1, 1979 in Japan. Although it later became a huge success, it only sold 3,000 units in its first month. Sony managed to sell some 200 million iterations of the cassette Walkman over the product line’s 30-year career.

Somewhat ironically, the announcement was delivered just one day ahead of the iPod’s ninth anniversary on October 23, although the decline of the cassette Walkman is attributed primarily to the explosive popularity of CD players in the ’90s, not the iPod.

http://mashable.com/2010/10/24/sony-walkman-rip/

Subject: Re: Sony to offically retire the Walkman.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/24/10 at 3:46 pm

We retired the walkman we had back in the early 90s!

Written By: Bobby on 10/24/10 at 5:08 pm

I didn't realise the Walkman was still going! I thought the personal CD player killed it off years ago (especially when they became 'jogproof') though I was surprised to see VHS videotapes were still being sold in my catalogue the other day.

Written By: whistledog on 10/24/10 at 7:15 pm

Sony is still keeping the Walkman name, as it is also the name of their line of mp3 players.

I have a Sony Walkman mp3 and I love it!

Written By: Davester on 10/24/10 at 7:47 pm

I've owned countless portable cassette players over the years and not one of them, well, maybe one, was a Sony.  I've owned Aiwas, Panasonics, Sanyos, Emersons, and all manner of cheap knock-offs...

Well, to the original, I bid you farewell and raise my glass...

Written By: gibbo on 10/24/10 at 9:16 pm

I never owned one...  I don't have an Ipod or MP3 player either. I prefer silence when I'm out and about (or just the sounds of life around me).

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/24/10 at 10:35 pm

I've owned countless portable cassette players over the years and not one of them, well, maybe one, was a Sony.

I've owned one portable cassette player over the years... and it is a Sony.

Here's a generation gap issue for y'all:

1960s: "Made in Japan" meant it was a cheap knockoff.
1980s: "Made in Japan" meant it was the best engineering on the planet.  "It's a Sony" meant something good.
2000s: With the exception of the PS1/2/3, "It's a Sony" meant that Sony put a rootkit on the CD, or some other proprietary boondongle on the technology that guaranteed that it wouldn't work with anything else you owned.

When I read about this the other day, I dug out my ancient TPS-L2 (LOL, I didn't know it was the fiirst one until I googled it!), and was amazed to find that it still works.  Thin rubber belts - not much thicker than an elastic band - that are at least 20 years old (over 30 if they're original, but I think it may have had its belts replaced at least once in its life), even after spending a good 10 years in storage, still haven't decayed to the point of failure.

Written By: Davester on 10/24/10 at 11:45 pm

I've owned one portable cassette player over the years... and it is a Sony.

Here's a generation gap issue for y'all:

1960s: "Made in Japan" meant it was a cheap knockoff.
1980s: "Made in Japan" meant it was the best engineering on the planet.  "It's a Sony" meant something good.
2000s: With the exception of the PS1/2/3, "It's a Sony" meant that Sony put a rootkit on the CD, or some other proprietary boondongle on the technology that guaranteed that it wouldn't work with anything else you owned.

Guess I have owned more than one Sony PCP.  Just learned Aiwa was owned by Sony since 1969...this company owns that company which owns this company which owns that company...I give up...

In any case, you're exactly right about how "Made in Japan" was regarded in the day.  Japanese electronics are what you wanted.  It's funny, Foo, when you remember when people grumbled about Japan virtually owning this country the same way folks now grumble about China. Except with China it's the real deal... :-\\

Written By: yelimsexa on 10/25/10 at 7:50 am

China is probably around 40 years behind Japan's progress, which means perhaps in 10 years or so, "Made In China" could mean the best (or one of the best) engineering on the planet. But this is like losing a relative with this announcement. And I believe VHS tapes were discontinued in 2008 along with VHS-only players. Cassette tapes are probably the next to go. But I feel that even the portable CD player may go the way of the Walkman; itself hurt by the rise of the iPod, and now the iPhone and iPad and Android and other mobile devices could make the CD player (and perhaps CDs themslef) to the point of extinction; even though CDs are fairly cheap to make.

Written By: Lynne on 10/25/10 at 8:17 am

China is probably around 40 years behind Japan's progress, which means perhaps in 10 years or so, "Made In China" could mean the best (or one of the best) engineering on the planet. But this is like losing a relative with this announcement. And I believe VHS tapes were discontinued in 2008 along with VHS-only players. Cassette tapes are probably the next to go. But I feel that even the portable CD player may go the way of the Walkman; itself hurt by the rise of the iPod, and now the iPhone and iPad and Android and other mobile devices could make the CD player (and perhaps CDs themslef) to the point of extinction; even though CDs are fairly cheap to make.

How right you are, Yelimsexa. CD sales are at an all-time low and I can't even remember how long it's been since I saw someone with a CD player...2005 perhaps? I think the main reason for the decline is that now you can purchase online and download the songs you like from a record without having to buy the CD, which may have some songs you don't like. That said, I don't own an iPod/mp3 player, and don't care to. Nor do I have a CD player for that matter. I use...that's right, you guessed it...a Walkman! A genuine sony from 1985, that even records, provided you have a plug-in microphone. I have always prefered cassettes and VHSs. I like that substantial feeling in my hand. Plus cassettes and VHSs are not as easily damaged as a CD or DVD, which will skip if they get scratched (which is difficult to avoid). ***Another note on Sony though: their quality has really gone down over the years. Compare the '80s Walkmans to the ones made in this decade and you will see the difference in craftsmanship.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/25/10 at 5:58 pm

Didn't know they still even made cassette Walkmans. (Or is it Walkmen???  ::))

I wonder how much they wanted for one right at the end, like two dollars or something?

Written By: nads on 11/14/10 at 8:54 am

VHS tapes have NOT been discontinued...at least not everywhere....nor have music cassettes. I picked up some of both recently at Walgreens.

Written By: whistledog on 11/14/10 at 11:18 pm

VHS tapes have NOT been discontinued...at least not everywhere....nor have music cassettes. I picked up some of both recently at Walgreens.

Sure, but not recent stuff.

If you went into a video store, and asked if they had <insert title of new movie here> on VHS, you'd be laughed out of the store

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/15/10 at 12:00 am

There is a market among punk and noise bands for short-run 7", 12", LP, and even cassette editions.  They know for certain if they issue their music in digital form, it'll just get passed around the internet for free.  The problem is, only hip kids and weird kids have turntables, and only weird kids have cassette players.  Thus, somebody will transfer it from analog to digital, which is exceedingly easy, and continue to circulate it around the 'net!
::)

Written By: Lynne on 11/15/10 at 10:42 am

There is a market among punk and noise bands for short-run 7", 12", LP, and even cassette editions.  They know for certain if they issue their music in digital form, it'll just get passed around the internet for free.  The problem is, only hip kids and weird kids have turntables, and only weird kids have cassette players.  Thus, somebody will transfer it from analog to digital, which is exceedingly easy, and continue to circulate it around the 'net!
::)

Lol. I guess I'm a 'weird kid' then. Well, a weird 19 yr. old. I love my Walkman.

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/30/12 at 11:43 pm

http://mashable.com/2010/10/24/sony-walkman-rip/

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lskqwqLUpW1qce31ho1_500.jpg

RIP, Compact Cassette...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/31/12 at 2:08 am

Walkman will live on somehow!

Written By: Howard on 12/31/12 at 6:35 am

Walkman will live on somehow!

Walkmans are still cheap, I'd probably take a Walkman over an Ipod.

Written By: moycon on 01/02/13 at 11:19 pm

I know this thread was started awhile ago (2010) but after seeing it bumped it dawned on me I had a Sony Sport Walkman, you know the one, bright yellow with rubber seals all around. It wasn't water proof, but it could be used like out in the rain with no ill effects. I've had mine since I was a teenager. I went and opened it, and let out a groan when I saw it had batteries in it! Luckily the batteries hadn't leaked at all. I replaced them with fresh batteries, stuck in an Art of Noise cassette and hit play. It works FINE! Tried out the radio, it worked perfect also. Man that is so cool!

AWESOME!! TOTALLY AWESOME!!

Written By: Howard on 01/03/13 at 6:58 am

Would you guys have an iPod or a Walkman? ???

Written By: whistledog on 01/03/13 at 9:59 pm

The Walkman name still exists ...

Would you guys have an iPod or a Walkman? ???

I have a Sony Walkman S series mp3 player (the one that has the speaker on it).  I don't use it anymore since I got a smartphone

http://news.cnet.com/i/bto/20090825/croppedwalkman.jpg

Written By: Howard on 01/04/13 at 6:25 am

The Walkman name still exists ...

I have a Sony Walkman S series mp3 player (the one that has the speaker on it).  I don't use it anymore since I got a smartphone

http://news.cnet.com/i/bto/20090825/croppedwalkman.jpg

I'm thinking about buying an iPod myself.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/04/13 at 6:28 am

I had a Sony Walkman in the mid 90s. I remember that I haven't treated it quite well... ;)

Written By: warped on 01/04/13 at 10:05 am

I had a walkman, I bought it in 1982, I believe.  It lasted me throughout the 80s. Went for lots of walks & runs with the walkman on in the 1980s.

I don't have an mp3 player, or an ipod ..ipad.... Just like gibbo posted, I prefer silence when I'm out and about.

Written By: Howard on 01/04/13 at 7:03 pm

I had a walkman, I bought it in 1982, I believe.  It lasted me throughout the 80s. Went for lots of walks & runs with the walkman on in the 1980s.

I don't have an mp3 player, or an ipod ..ipad.... Just like gibbo posted, I prefer silence when I'm out and about.

what about when you're on the bus?  ???

Written By: moycon on 01/05/13 at 9:45 pm

I went with the Zune. In some ways it sucks because they really didn't release many accessories for it...not like the iPod. The cool thing is, the stuff they did release is SUPER cheap now. I'm set for years to come as far as music goes. It'll also play and output video so on trips they come in handy. Smartphones have kind of made the mp3 player obsolete real quick like. Good thing I love messing with obsolete tech. Heck I still watch VHS and don't get me started on HD DVD LOL

Written By: whistledog on 01/06/13 at 9:50 am

I went with the Zune. In some ways it sucks because they really didn't release many accessories for it...not like the iPod. The cool thing is, the stuff they did release is SUPER cheap now. I'm set for years to come as far as music goes. It'll also play and output video so on trips they come in handy. Smartphones have kind of made the mp3 player obsolete real quick like. Good thing I love messing with obsolete tech. Heck I still watch VHS and don't get me started on HD DVD LOL

I had a Zune, and it was the best mp3 player I ever had.  When I accidentally washed it, i was so pissed because they didn't sell 'em around here anymore, so I had to switch to Sony because I can't stand apple products.

When Microsoft launched their 7.5 and 8 operating systems for smartphones, I got myself a Windows 8 phone, so it's like I got my Zune back

Written By: Atari on 01/19/13 at 8:40 pm

I have a 3-year-old iPod Touch, which is kind of overkill for me since I only use it for music.

I am, however, continuing my thrift shop and flea market hunt for an original Walkman. I will find one, dammit!  ;D

I owed a number of the cassette Walkmans over the years; my last one died around 1991 and I never replaced it with another Sony model. Now I want one of the old original brick-sized ones for my 80s toy collection :)

Written By: Howard on 01/20/13 at 6:48 am

I owed a number of the cassette Walkmans over the years; my last one died around 1991 and I never replaced it with another Sony model. Now I want one of the old original brick-sized ones for my 80s toy collection

They beat an iPod any day of the week.

Written By: wsmith4 on 01/22/13 at 8:22 am

They beat an iPod any day of the week.

Really? How so?

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/22/13 at 10:23 am

Really? How so?

Good question  ::)

That's nothing more than nostalgia. The quality of compact tapes was BAAAAAD.

Written By: wsmith4 on 01/22/13 at 10:25 am

It was just another "increase post count" comment.

Written By: meesa on 01/22/13 at 10:31 am

Smartphones have kind of made the mp3 player obsolete real quick like.

Hopefully there will still be 'for music only' options around, because I don't have a smartphone, don't want one. I see too many people I work with that have their heads down and eyes glued to crap on it like fakebook, etc. They can't seem to stop.

Written By: Howard on 01/22/13 at 12:26 pm

Really? How so?

cause a walkman has a ff, rewind and record button and that's what I liked.

Written By: Howard on 01/22/13 at 12:27 pm

Good question  ::)

That's nothing more than nostalgia. The quality of compact tapes was BAAAAAD.

plus sometimes the tape would get stuck and wouldn't come out.

Written By: Howard on 01/22/13 at 12:30 pm

It was just another "increase post count" comment.

So? What's it to you?  ::)

Written By: wsmith4 on 01/22/13 at 12:30 pm

cause a walkman has a ff, rewind and record button and that's what I liked.

But....... iPod has ff and rewind.  It doesn't record, but it DOES hold like 8,000 songs instead of about 12!

Written By: wsmith4 on 01/22/13 at 12:31 pm

So? What's it to you?  ::)

Saying things just for the sake of saying them adds no value to discussions.

Written By: Howard on 01/22/13 at 1:26 pm

But....... iPod has ff and rewind.  It doesn't record, but it DOES hold like 8,000 songs instead of about 12!

I guess I'm old fashioned.

Written By: wsmith4 on 01/22/13 at 1:34 pm

So you don't own an iPod?

Written By: Howard on 01/23/13 at 6:25 am

So you don't own an iPod?

I hope to get one soon.

Written By: wsmith4 on 01/23/13 at 6:27 am

I hope to get one soon.

Don't bother!  If a walkman is so much better, just continue using yours.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/23/13 at 6:29 am

I'd never buy an iPod. There are so many and also cheap alternatives which also offer great sound quality. I'm just using my cell phone.

Written By: wsmith4 on 01/23/13 at 6:42 am

I love my iPod.  I'm sure there are some awesome alternatives out there, but I can't imagine life without it  ;D  It's never done me wrong, so I have no complaints. :)

Written By: Howard on 01/23/13 at 6:57 pm

I think it's now time to change with the times.

Written By: Howard on 01/23/13 at 6:58 pm

I'd never buy an iPod. There are so many and also cheap alternatives which also offer great sound quality. I'm just using my cell phone.

you have a walkman?

Check for new replies or respond here...