inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: If a genie gave you three wishes to bring back the '80s, what would they be?

Written By: yelimsexa on 10/26/10 at 7:55 am

Here is an interestic topic. If I found a genie in a lamp and were given three wishes just on all things exclusively '80s, what would you choose?

Subject: Re: If a genie gave you three wishes to bring back the '80s, what would they be?

Written By: Frank on 10/26/10 at 10:49 am

Here is an interestic topic. If I found a genie in a lamp and were given three wishes just on all things exclusively '80s, what would you choose?

I'd attend "the Police" concert I had tickets to , back in 1983.
I'd chose new friends instead of the old ones I had in the mid-80s (they turned out to be drunks and back stabbers)
I would have avoided an incident back in 1989 which involved 2 different girls. Can't really explain more than that.

Subject: Re: If a genie gave you three wishes to bring back the '80s, what would they be?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/26/10 at 10:17 pm

I'd attend "the Police" concert I had tickets to , back in 1983.
I'd chose new friends instead of the old ones I had in the mid-80s (they turned out to be drunks and back stabbers)
I would have avoided an incident back in 1989 which involved 2 different girls. Can't really explain more than that.

Hey, ditto on all three.  Except I didn't have a ticket.  I was a little young to go, but I bet I could have gotten a ticket and a ride from my sister's friend Dmitri who DID go.  It was The Police, A Flock Of Seagulls, and The Fixx!!! 

You had tickets and you didn't go?  Jeeez, Frank, that was the tour to see of the summer of '83!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/glasses9.gif

The Roland Juno-1 synthesizer I bought in 1985.  I would have learned to play the thing and become a big trance music star in the 1990s.  All you needed in the nineties was an elementary music education and a synth and you could start a trance band!  I sold that synth in college in mint condition for a mere $400!

I would bring back gasoline at $1.08/gal.  I didn't have a car until 1992.  Prices were still pretty cheap back then, but not as cheap as they were seven years earlier. 

I give myself another bite at the apple for an academic career.  It would take a little adjustment of brain chemistry to succeed, but I had the opportunity to go to a great prep school in the '80s and for numerous reasons delivered by my crazy family, I did not go. 

Prozac.  I would have started taking it as soon as it hit the market in 1987. 

John Lennon.  I would have found a way to intercede, even if that meant taking Chapman's bullet.

I would not have quit my job and left town in 1989 with no plans for college.  True, my HS transcript sucked, but I could have made that up in a couple of semesters of community college and been on my way.  Instead, I moved to Boston and tried to sweat it on my own in a crappy apartment with no college degree in a recession.
::)

Written By: Frank on 10/27/10 at 12:12 am

Hey, ditto on all three.  Except I didn't have a ticket.  I was a little young to go, but I bet I could have gotten a ticket and a ride from my sister's friend Dmitri who DID go.  It was The Police, A Flock Of Seagulls, and The Fixx!!! 

You had tickets and you didn't go?  Jeeez, Frank, that was the tour to see of the summer of '83!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/glasses9.gif

The Roland Juno-1 synthesizer I bought in 1985.  I would have learned to play the thing and become a big trance music star in the 1990s.  All you needed in the nineties was an elementary music education and a synth and you could start a trance band!  I sold that synth in college in mint condition for a mere $400!

I would bring back gasoline at $1.08/gal.  I didn't have a car until 1992.  Prices were still pretty cheap back then, but not as cheap as they were seven years earlier. 

I give myself another bite at the apple for an academic career.  It would take a little adjustment of brain chemistry to succeed, but I had the opportunity to go to a great prep school in the '80s and for numerous reasons delivered by my crazy family, I did not go. 

Prozac.  I would have started taking it as soon as it hit the market in 1987. 

John Lennon.  I would have found a way to intercede, even if that meant taking Chapman's bullet.

I would not have quit my job and left town in 1989 with no plans for college.  True, my HS transcript sucked, but I could have made that up in a couple of semesters of community college and been on my way.  Instead, I moved to Boston and tried to sweat it on my own in a crappy apartment with no college degree in a recession.
::)

I had a ticket to the concert and gave it away to a friend. Another friend was visiting from out of town for one night, I hadn't seen him in 3 years, so I spent the night hanging around him thinking :" Ah, I'll see the Police next year when they came to town..no problem..". But, they broke up.
Dang...

Interceding the John Lennon assasination. Good man. Karma for that.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/27/10 at 5:56 am

You could have just hip-checked Yoko, let her take the bullet, then called me in to console.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 10/27/10 at 11:17 am

1)  That John Lennon hadn't killed by Mark Lindsay Chapman.

2)  Be able to go and see The Police in concert.

3)  To see Raiders Of The Lost Ark, in 2-D, not in 3-D.

Written By: Foo Bar on 10/27/10 at 10:36 pm

1) I would have been involved in an incident back in 1989 which involved 2 different girls. Can't really explain more than that.

Fixed that for me.

2) Spend more quarters in the arcades.  They won't be there forever.

3) Spent the rest of your quarters (or when you get to college, at least one course's tuition fees) on shares of Microsoft, Apple, or Potash Corp. of Saskatchewan, and forget about it for 30 years.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 10/28/10 at 2:27 am

hmmm...

yeah John Lennon save would have been awesome, although admittedly I wasn't sure who he was back in 1980.  I have completely changed my ways since then.

I think I would have spent for time in the arcade and/or movie theater.  I SO missed awesome arcades.

I might have tried to talk myself into not worrying so much about pleasing my mom (or trying to anyway), to not be afraid of becoming my own person, and to try not to stress out about not having too many boyfriends in high school.  It would eventually happen for me and just freakin' enjoy like while I had my youth.

Oh and I'd love to wear my 80s clothes again.  I loved my leg warmers and glittery tops.  Now I'd look ridiculous. 

Written By: stingr22 on 11/19/10 at 12:08 am

1.  I would make MTV the way it used to be, playing all music, all the time.  Of course, since it's my wish, it would be all 80s music!
2.  I would re-open my teenage hangout, Cardo's Pizza on S. High St. in Columbus, OH
3.  I would get my old car back - a 1967 Chevelle SS.

Written By: Frank on 11/19/10 at 12:18 am

1) I would have been involved in an incident back in 1989 which involved 2 different girls. Can't really explain more than that.

You would have had mega shyt loads of fun if you were in my predicament. I know I did.
(It sorta involved dating 2 best friends, at the same time...and each one knew, and each one wanted to top the other...and I'd go out with one for lunch, the other for dinner, lasted awhile...
then I had to chose one...and it was the wrong one...coz that's when I found out the one I chose was already married...I did not know until then. Apparently the other girl knew, but never said anything. Weird. )
Then things got even weirder. Ah, 1989...

Check for new replies or respond here...