inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: NBC, Before the late night debacle.....

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/13/10 at 4:15 pm

It's hard to believe that NBC was a dynamic power house from 1982-1997, and possibly a few years later.

Now it's fourth place.

::)  ;D

Oddly, Fox who was in fourth place, for quite awhile in now is third place.

Here's a promo, from when the 80's, before NBC's steady drop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKxnGyC6Xes&feature=related

Subject: Re: NBC, Before the late night debacle.....

Written By: Tommy on 11/13/10 at 4:31 pm

Thanks for posting that video. Man, the 80s were/are the best.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/13/10 at 5:06 pm

Your welcome.

Written By: whistledog on 11/13/10 at 7:58 pm

NBC doesn't know what they're doing anymore.  The peacock was proud in the 80's, and was the most watched network in my home.

Most of the shows I watched regularly as a kid were on NBC ...

The Golden Girls
The Facts of Life
Valerie / The Hogan Family
The Cosby Show
Knight Rider
Silver Spoons
Empty Nest
Family Ties
The A-Team
ALF
Night Court
Amen
Diff'rent Strokes
Gimme A Break
Remington Steele
Hunter
Highway to Heaven
Miami Vice
TVs Bloopers and Practical Jokes
Dear John
Unsolved Mysteries
A Different World

Written By: tv on 11/14/10 at 5:27 pm

It's hard to believe that NBC was a dynamic power house from 1982-1997, and possibly a few years later.

Now it's fourth place.

::)  ;D

Oddly, Fox who was in fourth place, for quite awhile in now is third place.

Here's a promo, from when the 80's, before NBC's steady drop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKxnGyC6Xes&feature=related
I like the video clips from Facts of Life and Different Strokes as well as the characters faces from those shows towards the end of the video with all the faces changing. Brings back memories just sitting there watching TV as a little kid.

Written By: yelimsexa on 11/15/10 at 12:15 pm

The just don't make Fall Preview videos like this anymore; in addition to taking up time, people simply see individual show promos and rely on other sources. Once Seinfeld left, NBC just hasn't been the same since; it missed the big-money game show fad started by ABC and the reality trend by CBS and didn't have cool, hip shows that FOX had, in addition to not having that good of a sports selection (Sunday Night Football, Hockey, and half of the time weekend afternoons are just filled with infomercials). Then again, TV networks in general are a victin to the fragmentation of media, both on TV and online. I have over 700 TV Guide issues from 1969-1991 that shows you how important TV was before there were too many channels/the Internet.

My favorite NBC promo videos were "Just Watch Us Now", "Let's All Be There", and "The Place To Be". I wish they could return with hour-long fall previews like they had in the '60s (and even NBC had a couple in the '80s during their Let's All Be There campaigns) to showcase the new shows to make the wider selection more clear rather than litter them over many commercial breaks.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 11/15/10 at 5:12 pm

NBC's Mid Season 2010 schedule...

http://tv.popcrunch.com/nbc-midseason-schedule-2011-30-rock-moves-to-10-pm-parks-and-rec-returns/

This can't be good, for 30 Rock.

Written By: MrCleveland on 11/22/10 at 6:07 am

Thank Brandon Tarikoff, he made NBC an 80's powerhouse, even SatAM NBC Cartoons were great!

Too bad the SatAM NBC Cartoons were removed by 1992.... :-\\

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/23/10 at 6:18 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4eVbr6DFpY&feature=related

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/29/10 at 8:46 pm

"Late Night with David Letterman" was much better on NBC.  The show was still funny after it moved to CBS, but I always felt it lacked the edge it had on NBC.

Written By: Hud on 11/30/10 at 2:17 pm

"Late Night with David Letterman" was much better on NBC.  The show was still funny after it moved to CBS, but I always felt it lacked the edge it had on NBC.

As one who watched him from the start, I have always said this. Dave used to be less political, be involved in skits (remember him sprinting around the city on foot to instigate trouble?), and include oddball regulars we knew and liked, like LB Melman and Chris Elliot. Dave donned cheap clothes and wrestling shoes at NBC for gosh' sake. Then he went to CBS and got the bucks and corporate makeover with expensive suits and professional big shot 'tude and the downhill slide began until I don't even like the guy any more.

Check for new replies or respond here...