inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The 2 Michael Boltons- from arena rocker w/Blackjack to blue-eyed soul crooner

Written By: yelimsexa on 11/29/10 at 11:45 am

Mention the name Michael Bolton in public and option "B" is 99% likely to be the response the audience will associate with him. Actually, I think of all artists who came out in the '80s, I can't think of any single person who changed their style so drastically as Michael Bolton, and continue to use it to this very day leaving their roots behind. I've read rock critics say his Blackjack/first 2 solo albums were nice arena-rock/AOR-style albums, but got alienated when he switched to soul/blues in 1987 and then provided some "made-for-radio and shopping mall" songs that satisfied the "soccer mom" crowd, similar to what Michael Buble is today. The Hunger album turned out to be very pivotal between the two phases of his artistry; while still retaining some hard rock influences from his earlier stuff, it really shifted the course of his career. So do more memorable songs in his later career trump his mostly unknown rock songs? Give us your thoughts.

Subject: Re: The 2 Michael Boltons- from arena rocker w/Blackjack to blue-eyed soul crooner

Written By: manbearpig on 11/29/10 at 1:25 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy2XMYh99js

Sounds like Sammy Hagar with a cold or a slightly improved Journey, which wouldn't be any better  8-P

Subject: Re: The 2 Michael Boltons- from arena rocker w/Blackjack to blue-eyed soul crooner

Written By: whistledog on 11/29/10 at 2:50 pm

Don't you mean Michael Bolotin? :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/29/10 at 3:17 pm

One Michael Bolton is enough!

Written By: danootaandme on 11/29/10 at 4:08 pm

Does anyone really care about Michael Bolton besides himself?

Written By: tv on 11/29/10 at 4:45 pm

You know I was thinking about Bolton a few times over the past few months. Love or hate him I think 1991's "Time, Love and Tenderness" is a classic. I mean the song kinda goes well for that time of what Mariah Carey, and Celine Dion were doing at the time even Rod Stewart.

Written By: tv on 11/29/10 at 4:59 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qy2XMYh99js

Sounds like Sammy Hagar with a cold or a slightly improved Journey, which wouldn't be any better  8-P

Sounds like 1986 alright. Bolton had natural brown hair I guess from that video and than he dyed it blonde I guess. He looked like Fabio when he had the long blonde hair 1989-1994 maybe? By the late 90's he had a short hair cut and he didn't look like Fabio anymore. I remember in the first half of the 90's Bolton was the singer some people love to hate at the time.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 11/29/10 at 8:35 pm

Can I substitute the cyanide capsule?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/sad3.gif

Written By: zcrito on 11/30/10 at 6:04 pm

You know I was thinking about Bolton a few times over the past few months. Love or hate him I think 1991's "Time, Love and Tenderness" is a classic. I mean the song kinda goes well for that time of what Mariah Carey, and Celine Dion were doing at the time even Rod Stewart.

I'm no Michael Bolton fan, and I don't celebrate the guy's entire collection, but to be honest his
Time, Love And Tenderness from 1991 is his best song (for the '80s it's probably Soul Provider from '89).
And that's it! Nothing else.

Written By: robby76 on 12/01/10 at 5:13 am

I am partial to his 1992 hit "Steel Bars". Oh and "Forever Isn't Long Enough" from that era too. Ah what the hell, I love me a bit o' Michael Bolotin!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNly3xai8Aw

Check for new replies or respond here...