inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Stirrup Pants?

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/05/11 at 6:14 pm

Hey Y'all!

I was wondering, around what year did stirrup pants start gaining popularity?

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk120/APenkala/StirrupPants.jpg

I can remember wearing when I was like 3, in 1989, and I just wonder when they came around.

Mine weren't that while. I had a bubble gum pink pair, a red pair I wore with a sweater witha puppy on the front and a black pair.

Thanks!

Subject: Re: Stirrup Pants?

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/06/11 at 7:42 am

According to the Google News Archive, they startedit initially peaked in 1985, cooled a bit in the late '80s, but had a second round of popularity in the early '90s. They have not really made a noteable comeback since. They are basically another version of ski pants.

Written By: lorac61469 on 01/06/11 at 11:13 am

My mom used to wear them in the 1950's and I wore them in the 80's.  1985 sounds about right. 

Written By: danootaandme on 01/06/11 at 5:18 pm

I remember them in the early 60s being very popular. They started out as just for ice skating, then they became everyday wear.

Written By: Lynne on 01/06/11 at 5:58 pm

Yes. 1985 was the year of the stirrup pant. They went well with the oversized sweaters and scrunchy socks that were popular around the same time. I believe there were two forms of stirrup pants as well: one that was like a legging with stirrups and meant to be worn with a longer shirt/short dress over, and another that was looser and more tailored like trousers.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/07/11 at 5:16 pm

Okay thanks guys! i aprpeciate the help!

Written By: Davester on 01/08/11 at 7:59 am

My gf in high school lived in those things.  The stirrups and the kind without them, which she called stretch pants.  She wore them with an over sized mens dress shirt (her dad's) with a belt around.  I don't recall her ever wearing jeans...

Written By: karen on 01/10/11 at 3:53 pm

I had a black pair, a bright pink pair, a jade green pair and a floral pair.  And definitely wore them around 85-86

Written By: nicole1977 on 01/10/11 at 4:00 pm

I've worn some when I was in the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th grade in the 80s.  What the hell was I thinking?

Written By: karen on 01/10/11 at 4:26 pm

I've worn some when I was in the 3rd, 4th, 5th, and 6th grade in the 80s.  What the hell was I thinking?

that you looked stylish and fashionable!

Written By: Cory! on 01/12/11 at 12:44 am

Hey! :D They wear those in Sugarland's new video for "Stuck Like Glue"! :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/14/11 at 10:55 am

I remember those. 

We hadn't coined the term "camel toe" yet, but 1985 would have been the perfect year for it!
;)

Check for new replies or respond here...