inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What I never understood about many other generations

Written By: nintieskid999 on 01/14/11 at 1:26 pm

Why is it they place much less emphasis on childhood then Generation Y? That's not to say I don't ever see them getting nostalgic (because I've seen it many times) but I've noticed Gen Yers take it to another level. That's one thing I wondered. Is it because we were exposed to so much more media than they were as kids? Can anyone explain it to me?

Subject: Re: What I never understood about many other generations

Written By: snozberries on 01/14/11 at 8:30 pm

Why is it they place much less emphasis on childhood then Generation Y? That's not to say I don't ever see them getting nostalgic (because I've seen it many times) but I've noticed Gen Yers take it to another level. That's one thing I wondered. Is it because we were exposed to so much more media than they were as kids? Can anyone explain it to me?

Were older, more mature and realize childhood was a phase to look back on either lovingly or with regret but we know we can't go back there so we have no need to obsess about every little detail with all the minutia that you guys do.
::)

Written By: whistledog on 01/14/11 at 9:34 pm

Were older, more mature and realize childhood was a phase to look back on either lovingly or with regret but we know we can't go back there so we have no need to obsess about every little detail with all the minutia that you guys do.

I agree with this.

Enjoy the decade, don't analyze it.  If stuff like this has you wondering, you need to spend less time on the computer, and more time in the real world. 

Written By: Dagwood on 01/14/11 at 9:43 pm

Agreed

Enjoy the decade, don't analyze it.  If stuff like this has you wondering, you need to spend less time on the computer, and more time in the real world. 

And agreed

Written By: 80sfan on 01/15/11 at 2:05 am

I think that Generation Z will laugh at us Y's  ;D (I'm a generation Y by the way).

Written By: 80sfan on 01/15/11 at 2:09 am

I also think it was because it became 'trendy' to look back at things in the 00's, especially at the 80's and 90's so I think this in part contributed to the 'nostalgia' that generation Y was exposed to.

Written By: snozberries on 01/15/11 at 6:04 am

another very good point O0

Written By: danootaandme on 01/15/11 at 6:33 am

I think that Generation Z will laugh at us Y's  ;D (I'm a generation Y by the way).

Like the Boomers laugh at all y'all  ;D ;D

Written By: Howard on 01/15/11 at 6:36 am

I'm a Generation X.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/15/11 at 11:13 am

Like the Boomers laugh at all y'all   ;D ;D

Sorry, but you offended me.  :-\\

Written By: snozberries on 01/15/11 at 11:54 am

Sorry, but you offended me.  :-\\

No offense to you personally but the group of your generation who find us (this board) and post here come off as whinnying turds and we do tend to laugh at a lot of your kind.
You may not see it in the posts but many of the responses in the 'why does this' and 'why didn't that' topics tend to be sarcastic jabs at the poster.

There always seems to be this perception that some profound observation is being made or some deep meaningful discussion is being had and the whole thing is so superficial and insignificant.  The same 15 or 20 topics show up monthly. The same comments are made. No one learns anything and no one really cares outside of the two people actually having the discussion.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/15/11 at 11:59 am

No offense to you personally but the group of your generation who find us (this board) and post here come off as whinnying turds and we do tend to laugh at a lot of your kind.
You may not see it in the posts but many of the responses in the 'why does this' and 'why didn't that' topics tend to be sarcastic jabs at the poster.

Oh yeah I see you guys' sarcasm!  ;D

I think the reason why you guys laugh at us is because some of them overanalyze everything! AND some of them have no sense of humor; it's just analyze analyze analyze!

Written By: snozberries on 01/15/11 at 12:01 pm

I think the reason why you guys laugh at us is because some of them overanalyze everything! AND some of them have no sense of humor; it's just analyze analyze analyze!

That's part of it. Btw I added another paragraph.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/15/11 at 12:04 pm

There always seems to be this perception that some profound observation is being made or some deep meaningful discussion is being had and the whole thing is so superficial and insignificant.  The same 15 or 20 topics show up monthly. The same comments are made. No one learns anything and no one really cares outside of the two people actually having the discussion.

Yeah, I see those boards all the time! I'm like, wasn't this posted 2 days ago?

Written By: Howard on 01/15/11 at 12:31 pm

Plus our generation is much older than you.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 01/15/11 at 1:01 pm

But isn't the point of this forum to overanalyze the decades?  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 01/15/11 at 1:04 pm

But what is the point of analyzing decades?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 01/15/11 at 1:08 pm

There always seems to be this perception that some profound observation is being made or some deep meaningful discussion is being had and the whole thing is so superficial and insignificant.  The same 15 or 20 topics show up monthly. The same comments are made. No one learns anything and no one really cares outside of the two people actually having the discussion.

Here are my 2 cents: Some things that are meaningless to you are significant to other people. If you don't like the post, you could always ignore it.  Some of my generation is whiny but so are some Boomers imo. No one's forcing you or anyone else to read these posts and comment. I guess we could always have that handy complaint box! Now that would solve all the whining problems....

http://seenreport.com/seenreport/images/thumbs/98f357f35b72580a184f038bcd37adc4480x360.jpg

Now that works for me!  

Written By: nintieskid999 on 01/15/11 at 1:13 pm

But what is the point of analyzing decades?

I guess to see how trends develop and morph into other things. To see how and why music, TV, clothing , and political trends wax and wane and how they relate to the vibe of the eras. It's just a big interest of mine. Sometimes you can predict how things will go in the future if you look at and know the signs. Maybe it has to do with the fact I was interested in history as a kid, read a lot of historical fiction, went to museums, and watched a lot of old time shows and even listened to some of the old talk radio shows on an AM radio station. I also thought it was cool to think about the changes in medicine and technology and try to predict what the future may bring us.

Written By: Howard on 01/15/11 at 1:16 pm

Yes.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 01/15/11 at 1:18 pm

Yes.

EXACTAMUNDO!  8)

Written By: snozberries on 01/15/11 at 1:19 pm

Yes.

No it isn't.

Written By: snozberries on 01/15/11 at 1:29 pm

I guess to see how trends develop and morph into other things. To see how and why music, TV, clothing , and political trends wax and wane and how they relate to the vibe of the eras. It's just a big interest of mine. Sometimes you can predict how things will go in the future if you look at and know the signs. Maybe it has to do with the fact I was interested in history as a kid, read a lot of historical fiction, went to museums, and watched a lot of old time shows and even listened to some of the old talk radio shows on an AM radio station. I also thought it was cool to think about the changes in medicine and technology and try to predict what the future may bring us.

It 's all marginalized decadeology. And decadeology is frowned upon on these boards.
http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=32397.msg1639686#msg1639686

We like to discuss tangible subjects like specific music specific tv shows specific movies.

You say you watch "old time tv shows" I wonder how old the shows were and if you watched them 'to study trends' or because they were readily available to you. Before there was tv land there was nick at nite. Nickalodeon showed kids shows during the day and classic tv over night. They showed shows from the 50s 60s and 70s not out of nostalgia but because those libraries were cheaper to air. Once the 80s and 90s shows became cheaper they abandoned their "nostalgic" line up.

As for the topics- I ignore as many as I can- but when I see the boards becoming over run with Y-ners I get annoyed.

Written By: nicole1977 on 01/15/11 at 1:39 pm

I'm glad that I'm Generation X because most of us don't whine about bullsheesh.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 01/15/11 at 1:46 pm

It 's all marginalized decadeology. And decadeology is frowned upon on these boards.
http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=32397.msg1639686#msg1639686

We like to discuss tangible subjects like specific music specific tv shows specific movies.

You say you watch "old time tv shows" I wonder how old the shows were and if you watched them 'to study trends' or because they were readily available to you. Before there was tv land there was nick at nite. Nickalodeon showed kids shows during the day and classic tv over night. They showed shows from the 50s 60s and 70s not out of nostalgia but because those libraries were cheaper to air. Once the 80s and 90s shows became cheaper they abandoned their "nostalgic" line up.

As for the topics- I ignore as many as I can- but when I see the boards becoming over run with Y-ners I get annoyed.

I sometimes watched those shows on Nick at Nite when I was younger. However, I was much more into shows from the 70s than I was into shows from the 50s and 60s.  If you don't like generation Y posting here, too bad. The Internet as just as much ours. We grew up with it.  I was regularly using the Internet since age 11. In fact, your post sounds rather whiny to me.

Written By: whistledog on 01/15/11 at 1:48 pm

But when you go on and on about it in different topics that are all the same, it gets repetitive, and turns into a discussion that can nor will ever have a final answer.

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/1240/decadeology.jpg

No matter how you go about it, all the answers will be the same, so nothing is learned, solved or made clear because it never made sense to begin with!

Written By: nintieskid999 on 01/15/11 at 1:53 pm

But when you go on and on about it in different topics that are all the same, it gets repetitive, and turns into a discussion that can nor will ever have a final answer.

No matter how you go about it, all the answers will be the same, so nothing is learned, solved or made clear because it never made sense to begin with!

I guess I'll bring new material to the table then. I was just looking for some insight.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/15/11 at 1:54 pm

Plus our generation is much older than you.

I can live with that!

Written By: nintieskid999 on 01/15/11 at 2:16 pm

I can live with that!

Ditto!  8)

Written By: Davester on 01/15/11 at 5:04 pm

Could say the same for...

But when you go on and on about in different topics that are all the same, it gets repetitive, and turns into a discussion that can nor will ever have a final answer.

But when you go on and on about in different topics that are all the same, it gets repetitive, and turns into a discussion that can nor will ever have a final answer.

It's, all of it, subjective...

For the luva..!

what in blazes do you guys want.!?

To the OP - reheating and reserving is not as interesting as it used to be.  You should have seen this board several years ago.  Mostly 1980s nostalgia discussions....

Written By: 80sfan on 01/15/11 at 5:50 pm

Yes.

Oh Howard.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/15/11 at 7:52 pm

We discouraged decadeology for (valid) reasons best not dredged up again, but just because it's old to us, doesn't mean it's old hat to everybody.  

http://blackcompanystudios.co.uk/files/blog/the_moon_vs_an_elephant_jpg-small.jpg

Besides, given the choice between a couple of days of almost-decadeology, I'll take that over seeing the "most recently-updated threads" being bogged down by 10+pages of threads, each being a 60+ (and in some cases, 600+)-page thread that actually died years ago but which lives on by people who post one-word responses solely to inflate total post counts.

Obligatory Retro Content:  While googling "an elephant the moon" for purposes of this post, I discovered that I'm not the only person who remembers the ads from Leading Edge, purveyors of the decent Gorilla dot-matrix printer, and the insanely awesome Elephant Memory Systems 5.25" diskettes.  

Obligatory Citation:  Every year, I have a goofy New Year's ritual that involves booting an Apple II+ from one such diskette.  First floppy I ever bought.  It's been at least 30 years since that disk was formatted, and probably 25+ since it was last written to.  For once, the marketing lived up to the hype: an elephant never forgets.

Written By: snozberries on 01/15/11 at 9:36 pm

I sometimes watched those shows on Nick at Nite when I was younger. However, I was much more into shows from the 70s than I was into shows from the 50s and 60s.  If you don't like generation Y posting here, too bad. The Internet as just as much ours. We grew up with it.  I was regularly using the Internet since age 11. In fact, your post sounds rather whiny to me.

1) I wouldn't mind the posting if you guys had anything interesting to say...  ::) 

2) if you are focus on shows from the 70s then you are missing the foundation that pop culture is set on. If you want to study a trend then start from the beginning don't start in the middle and think you can accurately predict trends and changes.... 

3) take a pop culture class in college. Try submitting the stuff you post here. If it's an accredited college your prof will tell you your arguments lack depth.

4) this whole the internet is ours because we grew up with is crap... I've been using the internet since I was 20. I'm not sure how old you are but I'm willing to guess I've been using the internet for either as long as you've been alive or at the very least much longer than you have.

I'm not saying you can't post here I'm just saying trying posting something interesting.... 

Written By: snozberries on 01/15/11 at 9:37 pm

I guess I'll bring new material to the table then. I was just looking for some insight.

that's all we're asking... 

Written By: snozberries on 01/15/11 at 10:08 pm

To the OP - reheating and reserving is not as interesting as it used to be.  You should have seen this board several years ago.  Mostly 1980s nostalgia discussions....

That could very well be the problem... some of us have been here so long we just see the same topics over and over again. I don't mind if say, it's been a year or two since we saw the topic but lately its been every day with the repetitiveness...

Which genres of music most defined the 90s

Culturally defining the 90s movies and tv shows

So Generation Z starts in the early 1990s

90s babies vs 80s babies

Are people born in the 90s considered 90s kids

True 90s kid

What birth year makes the ultimate 90s kid

The early 90s -- very dated

Culturally defining 90s technologically

Which generation am I a part of

What happened

Thoughts on the late 90s

and....wait for it.....

yep...two topics on 1996...

these are just topics I lifted from the 1st 3 pages of the 1990s portion of the boards.... there are 128 pages of topics in the 1990s section. Perhaps if they took the time to sift through the already started topics and pick up those discussions we wouldn't ride them as hard as we do....  

Written By: danootaandme on 01/16/11 at 6:25 am

Sorry, but you offended me.  :-\\

I don't understand why you should be offended  ???  It is a fact that each generation does laugh at what the younger generation does, mostly because they are doing the same things we did, that we now know to be a bit reckless, many times foolish, but that is what makes life.  You will do the same, trust me.

Written By: Howard on 01/16/11 at 6:43 am

No it isn't.

Why not? ???

Written By: Howard on 01/16/11 at 6:44 am

I'm glad that I'm Generation X because most of us don't whine about bullsheesh.

Us Generation X'ers,we move on.

Written By: snozberries on 01/16/11 at 7:37 am

Why not? ???

for all the reasons stated in all the posts you didn't read  :P

Written By: Dagwood on 01/16/11 at 7:41 am

4) this whole the internet is ours because we grew up with is crap... I've been using the internet since I was 20. I'm not sure how old you are but I'm willing to guess I've been using the internet for either as long as you've been alive or at the very least much longer than you have.

AMEN!

And, I will bring up the decadology topic again like Q did.  Chucky does not want it here, therefore it should not be here.  He owns the board.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/16/11 at 11:46 am

I don't understand why you should be offended  ???   It is a fact that each generation does laugh at what the younger generation does, mostly because they are doing the same things we did, that we now know to be a bit reckless, many times foolish, but that is what makes life.  You will do the same, trust me.

I'm not offended anymore not that I understand what you mean.
Oh boy am I gonna laugh at Generation Z and Generation A?  ;D .

Written By: 80sfan on 01/16/11 at 11:54 am

Could say the same for...

It's, all of it, subjective...

For the luva..!

what in blazes do you guys want.!?

To the OP - reheating and reserving is not as interesting as it used to be.  You should have seen this board several years ago.  Mostly 1980s nostalgia discussions....

I've been readingthe site since it began in 2001 and I agree there was so much 80's nostalgia from 2001 to about 2007, now it's the 90's turn. But unlike the 90's nostalgia, the 80's nostalgia didn't get repetitive.

Written By: Howard on 01/16/11 at 12:17 pm

I'm not offended anymore not that I understand what you mean.
Oh boy am I gonna laugh at Generation Z and Generation A?  ;D .

There was a Generation A & Z?  ???

Written By: 80sfan on 01/18/11 at 11:33 pm

There was a Generation A & Z?   ???

People are calling the generation after generation Y generation Z.  :o

But I just made up A.

Written By: Howard on 01/19/11 at 6:24 am

People are calling the generation after generation Y generation Z.   :o

But I just made up A.

I'm Generation X.

Written By: RG1995 on 01/19/11 at 3:03 pm

Every generation sucks in some way honestly. Boomers, Xers, Yers, and Zs(?).

Written By: Davester on 01/19/11 at 6:59 pm

Oh snap..!

Written By: Howard on 01/20/11 at 6:34 am

You have a point there,they're not all perfect.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/23/11 at 12:32 am

You have a point there,they're not all perfect.

I'm perfect!  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/01/angel3.gif

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/23/11 at 1:43 pm

Nice weather we are having, huh?

Cat

Written By: karen on 01/24/11 at 9:06 am

not as good as the weather was in 1985

Written By: Ben on 01/29/11 at 10:53 am

not as good as the weather was in 1985

Maybey we should start a topic, Weather in 1985 vs. Weather in 1995?

or "What does a true 90s kid think of weather today vs. What an 80s kid thinks of weather today?"

Let the topic run for years until kids born in 2012 start making threads like "kids born in 2012 vs. kids born in 2009, what do you think?"  and blah blah blah...

Written By: stingr22 on 03/07/11 at 9:26 pm

I think that Generation Y is so ignored is because it does not really have it's own identity.  Every decade has defining pop culture moments, trends, etc.  Gen Y doesn't have that.  It's just kind of blah.

Written By: yelimsexa on 03/08/11 at 7:56 am

I think that Generation Y is so ignored is because it does not really have it's own identity.  Every decade has defining pop culture moments, trends, etc.  Gen Y doesn't have that.  It's just kind of blah.

Part of that has to do with them being associated with the bland '00s decade, but they have some recognition and will get more as more people get educated about generational differences.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/08/11 at 9:10 pm

We do have pop culture trends; it's just trends that some people don't necessarily like. Like reality tv shows, autotune, facebook, twitter, celebrity breakdowns, etc.

I think some of those things I listed are okay, but I think some of them are kinda not my taste.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 03/08/11 at 10:55 pm

We do have pop culture trends; it's just trends that some people don't necessarily like. Like reality tv shows, autotune, facebook, twitter, celebrity breakdowns, etc.

I think some of those things I listed are okay, but I think some of them are kinda not my taste.

None of those are exactly my cup of tea and I'm Gen Y myself.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 03/08/11 at 11:04 pm

I think that Generation Y is so ignored is because it does not really have it's own identity.  Every decade has defining pop culture moments, trends, etc.  Gen Y doesn't have that.  It's just kind of blah.

00s pop culture may have been bland but you'd have to be crazy to think it was blah in terms
of political, national, and international events. The 00s was a decade
of turbulence. It was also a time of technological innovation. It was overall very eventful.
I'll be remembering the current events of the time far more than the pop culture and I'm fine with that.
I wasn't too fond of the 00s decade but I must admit I lived through a very important part of history.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/08/11 at 11:46 pm

00s pop culture may have been bland but you'd have to be crazy to think it was blah in terms
of political, national, and international events. The 00s was a decade
of turbulence. It was also a time of technological innovation. It was overall very eventful.
I'll be remembering the current events of the time far more than the pop culture and I'm fine with that.
I wasn't too fond of the 00s decade but I must admit I lived through a very important part of history.

If you think the 00s was evenful, the 10s might be even more eventful! I mean, look at Libya, Egypt, etc.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 03/09/11 at 12:08 am

If you think the 00s was evenful, the 10s might be even more eventful! I mean, look at Libya, Egypt, etc.

I've been predicting the same thing lately, especially around the world. I see more turbulence for this decade (the 2010s).
I'm not sure however if they're going to be more or less turbulent than the 00s. Only time will tell.

Written By: Howard on 03/09/11 at 6:28 am

and also Global Warming.

Written By: yelimsexa on 03/09/11 at 6:53 am

and also Global Warming.

That's more '00s to me (though I first heard about it in the early '90s).

Check for new replies or respond here...