inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Frosted Hair?

Written By: apollonia1986 on 02/04/11 at 8:46 pm

Hi Y'all!

I've always wanted to ask this question. I've always been fascinated by people who had frosted tips and things in thier hair. Can some one explain to me how it's done?

Do you have to color all over the head or just little strips of hair?

And every time I google it, I get pictures of Justin Timberlake from like 10 years ago!

Thanks!

Subject: Re: Frosted Hair?

Written By: Claybricks on 02/04/11 at 9:33 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpciqRxy0OQ

Put this search term into Google with quotation marks: "How To Highlight Your Hair"

Put this search term into Youtube:  How to highlight hair

Dan

Written By: danootaandme on 02/05/11 at 6:11 am

Pay a pro or suffer the consequenes

Written By: Howard on 02/05/11 at 6:35 am

Why would a girl want to frost her hair?  ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/05/11 at 6:39 am

To highlight her hair?

Written By: Howard on 02/05/11 at 6:41 am

To highlight her hair?

I guess.

Written By: danootaandme on 02/05/11 at 7:07 am

It is very common, you probably see frosted hair everyday but just didn't know that is what it is called.  Frosted hair is when the highlight just the tips of the hair instead of dying the whole lot...and lots of guys do it, too.

Written By: nicole1977 on 02/05/11 at 10:36 am

I never tried frosted hair.  It doesn't work well on Afro-textured hair.

Written By: Howard on 02/05/11 at 12:50 pm

It is very common, you probably see frosted hair everyday but just didn't know that is what it is called.  Frosted hair is when the highlight just the tips of the hair instead of dying the whole lot...and lots of guys do it, too.

I have no hair to begin with. I lost mine.

Written By: Claybricks on 02/05/11 at 1:16 pm

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_8TVLPzVfe-A/SjvjmPCOENI/AAAAAAAAB3s/H5BMHwrPbP8/s400/tony_the_tiger_432.gif

Tony The Tiger likes his hair Sugar Frosted!

Dan

Written By: lorac61469 on 02/05/11 at 1:30 pm

Hi Y'all!

I've always wanted to ask this question. I've always been fascinated by people who had frosted tips and things in thier hair. Can some one explain to me how it's done?

Do you have to color all over the head or just little strips of hair?

And every time I google it, I get pictures of Justin Timberlake from like 10 years ago!

Thanks!

At a salon they will use foil to do the highlights but I've done it at home with a kit that I bought at the drugstore.  You need to use a little cap and a crochet type hook to pull the hair through the holes. 

http://ts3.mm.bing.net/images/thumbnail.aspx?q=419460166154&id=89757599e3dbeaa5be4f995bbc597565&url=http://www.hairscissors.co.uk/MANAGE/ADMIN/STOREMANAGEMENT/PRODUCTS/IMAGES/5011151.jpg

Written By: apollonia1986 on 02/05/11 at 3:59 pm

Thanks y'all I appreciate all the input. Now i'm not planning to color my hair until it starts to turn grey. And my mother was well into her 50s before her greys showed, so it'll be a while for me hopefully.

I'd always seen that little car, but I never knew just how you used it. (I saw it at the beauty shop, not on my mother! LOL!)

Thanks again!

Written By: Mat1991 on 02/06/11 at 9:52 pm

I thought frosted hair was more of a late '90s thing.  :-\\

Written By: Lynne on 02/06/11 at 10:19 pm

No offence, but I don't really see an intelligent answer to the question, so I'll add my 2 cents. LOL. Frosting is usually done in the same way as highlighting, in that the colourist places a foil under a small section of your hair and applies colour with a brush. The only difference, is that the colour is only applied to the tips of the hair. The cap method is a no-no, as is more difficult to isolate the part you want to frost. When the hair has all been pulled through the cap, the coated ends may touch others parts of the hair and colour where you don't want...asuming you have longer hair. If you have the Justin Timberlake 'do, then you might be okay ;)  One thing I've noticed though is that, unlike highlights, frosting is always platinum blonde and is usually on a background of brunette or dark blonde.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/07/11 at 12:02 am

I definitely remember it in the '80s!
::)

Written By: 80sfan on 02/07/11 at 12:19 am

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_8TVLPzVfe-A/SjvjmPCOENI/AAAAAAAAB3s/H5BMHwrPbP8/s400/tony_the_tiger_432.gif

Tony The Tiger likes his hair Sugar Frosted!

Dan

Karma!  ;D

Written By: Mat1991 on 02/07/11 at 2:45 am

I suppose I was only thinking of the likes of Justin Timberlake and various boy bands during the time.

How, exactly, was frosted hair popular in the '80s?

Written By: Howard on 02/07/11 at 6:15 am

That's what I thought.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 02/07/11 at 4:49 pm

I've seen actresses like Melissa Gilbert and Valerie Bertinelli with blonde frosted hair in the 80s.

I even say a picture of MJ's mother with frosted hair back in 60s! :o

If I did frost my tips, I'd do it with color like red or bold blue.

Written By: Lindee on 02/12/11 at 11:07 am

Frosted hair was originally from the 70s.

Check for new replies or respond here...