inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What is/are your favorite '80s music producers?

Written By: yelimsexa on 02/14/11 at 8:42 am

Except for Prince, all of these names were very dominant in the making of your favorite '80s hits, that understanding each producer's style can give you a better understanding in the making of the sound of the '80s.

Subject: Re: What is/are your favorite '80s music producers?

Written By: tv on 02/14/11 at 5:18 pm

Some of these producers were still plenty revelant in the 90's.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 02/14/11 at 5:55 pm

Quincy jones is still relevant now.

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/14/11 at 8:38 pm

Other: Adrian Sherwood.  Was into everything from Depeche Mode to Skinny Puppy, and if a career spanning new wave to industrial wasn't wide enough, he's still actively involved in the reggae/dub scene, as well as occasional forays into blues.

Written By: whistledog on 02/14/11 at 11:14 pm

A few others not in the list ...

Jim Steinman
Colin Thurston
Bob Ezrin
Trevor Horn
Mark "Flood" Ellis
Brian Eno
Stephen Hague
Bob Clearmountain
Jim Vallance
Tony Swain and Steve Jolley
Daniel Lanois
Bruce Fairbairn
Robert John "Mutt" Lange
Bob Rock

I also liked Colin Fairley.  He was behind the helm for the 1984 album 'Sisters' by The Bluebells and the debut by General Public and the smash hit 'Tenderness'

John Punter - He co-produced the 1984 album 'Keep Your Hands Off My Power Supply' for Slade, which gave the band their North American breakthrough with 'Run Runaway' and 'My Oh My'

I think my all-time favourite is Rhett Davies.  He was behind the helm for 'Flesh and Blood' (1980) and 'Avalon' (1982) for Roxy Music, as well as the (should not be) forgotten debut by Industry and the fantastic 1983 hit 'State of the Nation'.  He also produced the uniquely strange, yet excellent 1983 album 'Dazzle Ships' by OMD, the 1985 album 'Boys & Girls' by Bryan Ferry' and the 1986 album 'Measure for Measure' by Icehouse

'Dazzle Ships' to me is probably the strangest albnum of the 80s.  Many of the songs include typewriter sounds, bleeps and machine like noises, but it's quite compelling, and contains the hit 'Telegraph' which is still my favourite song from OMD.

Written By: Cory! on 02/15/11 at 1:08 am

Jon St. James. :)

Worked mostly with Stacey Q, and did her new album too.

Written By: yelimsexa on 02/15/11 at 6:23 am

Some of these producers were still plenty revelant in the 90's.

And some were around and noticeable in earlier decades (Quincy Jones started in the '50s actually, but of course will be best associated with Michael Jackson's '80s stuff). They were all listed here given each producer's production peak came in the '80s.

Written By: Howard on 02/15/11 at 6:28 am

Quincy Jones definitely.

Written By: midnite on 02/15/11 at 8:57 pm

A few others not in the list ...

I think my all-time favourite is Rhett Davies.  He was behind the helm for 'Flesh and Blood' (1980) and 'Avalon' (1982) for Roxy Music, as well as the (should not be) forgotten debut by Industry and the fantastic 1983 hit 'State of the Nation'.  He also produced the uniquely strange, yet excellent 1983 album 'Dazzle Ships' by OMD, the 1985 album 'Boys & Girls' by Bryan Ferry' and the 1986 album 'Measure for Measure' by Icehouse

'Dazzle Ships' to me is probably the strangest albnum of the 80s.  Many of the songs include typewriter sounds, bleeps and machine like noises, but it's quite compelling, and contains the hit 'Telegraph' which is still my favourite song from OMD.

All excellent albums!!!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/15/11 at 9:23 pm

Other: Adrian Sherwood.  Was into everything from Depeche Mode to Skinny Puppy, and if a career spanning new wave to industrial wasn't wide enough, he's still actively involved in the reggae/dub scene, as well as occasional forays into blues.

Karma for Adrian Sherwood.  Don't forget African Head Charge, and STILL the only Ministry album worth a sh*t: 'TWITCH'!

Producers:

Daniel Miller (Depeche Mode, Fad Gadget, The Normal, Yazoo, Erasure, etc.)
Mike Howlett (OMD, A Flock of Seagulls, Blancmange, Gang of Four, Thompson Twins, etc.)
Trevor Horn (ABC, FGTH, Pet Shop Boys, Marc Almond, etc.)
Brian Eno (Brian Eno, David Bowie, Talking Heads, Devo, U2, etc.)
Bill Laswell (Laurie Anderson, Herbie Hancock, The Ramones, Iggy Pop, PIL, Golden Palominos, etc.)

The Legendary Pink Dots, Edward Ka Spel, Cevin Key, and others who commingled on various LPD, Skinny Puppy, Tear Garden projects.

Written By: stingr22 on 03/07/11 at 9:06 pm

Brian Eno should have been on your list.  He gets my vote.

Written By: Sean1983 on 03/12/11 at 11:00 am

Lewis Martinee
Dieter Bohlen

Written By: whistledog on 03/12/11 at 11:37 am

Dieter Bohlen

Never really thought of him as a producer, but I guess he did helm production work for Blue System and Modern Talking.

Written By: Davester on 03/12/11 at 1:53 pm

Don't know much about (or pay much attention) to producers but many of my favorite albums from the era were produced by Brian Eno, Nile Rodgers, Rick Rubin, John "Mutt" Lange and Ted Templeman...

Check for new replies or respond here...