inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What was laundry like in the 80's?

Written By: wsmith4 on 02/18/11 at 12:34 pm

Did they have dishwashers or did they use washers and dryers for laundry?  I know my mom cleaned all our jeans in the dishwasher.

Subject: Re: What was laundry like in the 80's?

Written By: nally on 02/18/11 at 12:37 pm

;D

I know my house had a dishwasher...which worked fine for a very long time.

We also had a washer and dryer, which lasted for about 15 years before we had to replace it.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/18/11 at 2:04 pm

I lived in an apartment with my first husband which did have a dishwasher. I don't understand what the reasoning was, but for some reason he didn't want me to use it. So, I washed dishes by hand. After doing this for so long (we lived in the apartment for about 3 years or so) I realized that we HAD a dishwasher!  :o :o :o  I totally forgot that it was there. So, I went to run it and because it wasn't ran for years, it didn't work. When we moved into our house-which also had a dishwasher, I used it. There were so many times when I listened to my ex when I shouldn't have-like when he said, "Let's get married." I should have said, not no but HELL NO!!!!  Oh well, live & learn.

Cat

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 02/18/11 at 4:44 pm

Surprisingly, laundry hasn't changed at all in the last 30 years.

It's still dirty.  :o :o :o

Written By: Howard on 02/18/11 at 8:29 pm

I don't know what laundry was like in the 80's.  ::)

Written By: snozberries on 02/18/11 at 11:40 pm

What was laundry Luke in the 80's?  Dirty...

It was Dirty dirty laundry  :D

Written By: Howard on 02/19/11 at 6:45 am

It's like saying what was detergent like in the 80's.  ::)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/19/11 at 1:32 pm

Wet and steamy like any other decade!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/19/11 at 2:53 pm

In some Heloise tips column I read years ago, it said you could clean ballcaps in the dishwasher.  My hubby's Navy hat was filthy so I ran it through the dishwasher.  It shrunk and no longer fit on his head.  Oops.  I guess I was supposed to put it over the bottom of a bowl so that it would keep it's shape.  We ended up having to buy him another custom-made hat.  lol

Written By: snozberries on 02/19/11 at 3:08 pm

In some Heloise tips column I read years ago, it said you could clean ballcaps in the dishwasher.  My hubby's Navy hat was filthy so I ran it through the dishwasher.  It shrunk and no longer fit on his head.  Oops.  I guess I was supposed to put it over the bottom of a bowl so that it would keep it's shape.  We ended up having to buy him another custom-made hat.  lol

well it would've been helpful if heloise had included the hint about fitting the cap around a bowl  ;D

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/19/11 at 4:21 pm

well it would've been helpful if heloise had included the hint about fitting the cap around a bowl  ;D

Actually, it did.  So I lay claim to that mistake.  I was remembering the hint and since I am an airhead, I neglected to remember the bowl part.  lol

This happened in the 2000's so I don't even know if I'm allowed to speak of this laundry event in this thread since the title is from the 80s.  lol
Heck I was lucky to have t.v. in the 80s, let alone a dishwasher (it was a luxury I did not acquire until my first apartment with my second husband.)  lol

Written By: snozberries on 02/19/11 at 4:31 pm

Actually, it did.  So I lay claim to that mistake.  I was remembering the hint and since I am an airhead, I neglected to remember the bowl part.  lol

This happened in the 2000's so I don't even know if I'm allowed to speak of this laundry event in this thread since the title is from the 80s.  lol
Heck I was lucky to have t.v. in the 80s, let alone a dishwasher (it was a luxury I did not acquire until my first apartment with my second husband.)  lol

were you fortunate enough to have one of those cutting aged microwaves?

http://www.ge.com/innovation/timeline/images/innovation/1978_in_spacemaker_m.jpg

Written By: Dagwood on 02/19/11 at 4:42 pm

Digital?  We wished.  We had one with knobs.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/19/11 at 5:05 pm

http://www.ge.com/innovation/timeline/images/innovation/1978_in_spacemaker_m.jpg

Heck no.  Ours, I'm sure we didn't get until the late 80s/early 90s?  It was a behemoth monster.  I DO remember getting our first VCR though (go figure for a T.V. addict).  You gotta remember the important stuff.  I remember getting my first (probably only) Easy-bake oven.  lol  It was the last time I really LIKED to cook.  :D

Written By: snozberries on 02/19/11 at 5:12 pm

Heck no.  Ours, I'm sure we didn't get until the late 80s/early 90s?  It was a behemoth monster.  I DO remember getting our first VCR though (go figure for a T.V. addict).  You gotta remember the important stuff.  I remember getting my first (probably only) Easy-bake oven.  lol  It was the last time I really LIKED to cook.   :D

I remember our first vcr.....we got it in December 1982! 

We had our first mircrowave around 1979.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/19/11 at 6:21 pm

I got my first microwave about 1983 and it just died a couple of years ago.  :o :o :o No sh!t-that sucker lasted well over 25 years. They just don't make things the way they used to. (I still have the old console t.v. that I bought back in 1988. It was repaired once. Has a bunch of ghosts on it and the pictures isn't that crisp but it is still working.)

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 02/19/11 at 6:23 pm

I got my first microwave about 1983 and it just died a couple of years ago.  :o :o :o No sh!t-that sucker lasted well over 25 years. They just don't make things the way they used to. (I still have the old console t.v. that I bought back in 1988. It was repaired once. Has a bunch of ghosts on it and the pictures isn't that crisp but it is still working.)

Cat

that was way back before we became the disposable consumers we've been the last few years... my guess is, in this new economy they will build things better for a few years.

Written By: Howard on 02/19/11 at 6:24 pm

Wow,that microwave is classic. :o

Written By: Howard on 02/19/11 at 6:25 pm

Digital?  We wished.  We had one with knobs.

Our Family had an oven.

Written By: Howard on 02/19/11 at 6:26 pm

I remember our first vcr.....we got it in December 1982! 

We had our first mircrowave around 1979.

Wow,what did a microwave in 1979 look like?

Written By: snozberries on 02/19/11 at 6:43 pm

Wow,what did a microwave in 1979 look like?

not too different from the one pictured above but it was larger and only made to sit on the counter.

Written By: Davester on 02/19/11 at 6:59 pm

Surprisingly, laundry hasn't changed at all in the last 30 years.

It's still dirty.  :o :o :o

If it passes the sniff test, it's good to go...

Written By: Howard on 02/19/11 at 7:07 pm

not too different from the one pictured above but it was larger and only made to sit on the counter.

Did it have knobs?

Written By: snozberries on 02/19/11 at 7:08 pm

Did it have knobs?

Yes. It had a dial timer.

Written By: Howard on 02/20/11 at 6:20 am

Yes. It had a dial timer.

Those were the days.

Written By: snozberries on 02/20/11 at 9:55 am

Those were the days.

I do not miss the technology of yesteryear  things are so much better now!

Written By: Midas on 02/20/11 at 10:03 am

I think it had more skid marks back then

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/20/11 at 10:35 am

You didn't have one that looked like this?

http://www.visioncook.com/images/webcast121708%20069_water.jpg

I think my work did. Yup, they bought it back in the dark ages and never bothered to replace it.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/20/11 at 11:05 am

Monday morning, and the earlier the better (the morning sun drying and sweetening clothes better than the later), have the boiler full of clean warm suds. Soft soap may be used, or a bar of hard dissolved in hot water, and used like soft soap.

All the water in which the clothes have soaked should be drained off, and the hot suds poured on. Begin with the cleanest articles, which when washed carefully are wrung out, and put in a tub of warm water. Rinse out from this; rub soap on all the parts which are most soiled, these parts being bands and sleeves, and put them in the boiler with cold water enough to cover them. To boil up once will be sufficient for fine clothes. Then take them out into a tub of clean cold water; rinse them in this, and then in a tub of water made very slightly blue with the indigo-bag or liquid indigo. From this water they must be wrung out very dry, and hung out, always out of doors if possible. A wringer is much better than wringing by hand, as the latter is more unequal, and also often twists off buttons.

The lines must be perfectly clean. A galvanized-iron wire is best of all; as it never rusts, and needs only to be wiped off each week. If rope is used, never leave it exposed to weather, but bring it in after each washing. A dirty, weather-stained line will often ruin a nice garment. Leave clothes on the line till perfectly dry.

If any fruit-stains are on napkins or table-cloths, lay the stained part over a bowl, and pour on boiling water till they disappear. Ink can be taken out if the spot is washed while fresh, in cold water, or milk and water; and a little salt will help in taking out wine-stains. Machine-oil must have a little lard or butter rubbed on the spot, which is then to be washed in warm suds. Never rub soap directly on any stain, as it sets it. For iron-rust, spread the garment in the sun, and cover the spot with salt; then squeeze on lemon-juice enough to wet it. This is much safer and quite as sure as the acids sold for this purpose. In bright sunshine the spot will disappear in a few hours.

–from The Easiest Way in Housekeeping and Cooking,
    by Helen Stuart Campbell, 1880

...oh, the 1980s...!  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 02/20/11 at 11:14 am

^brilliant Philip.... I found it as an actual recipe  ;D

1880′S RECIPE FOR WASHING CLOTHES

Years ago an Alabama grandmother gave the new bride the following recipe. This is an exact copy as written and found in an old scrapbook, complete with spelling errors (For you non-southerners, wrench means, rinse)

RESIPE FOR WARSHING CLOTHES

Build fire in backyard to heat kettle of rain water. Set tubs so smoke wont blow in eyes if wind is pert. Shave one hole cake of lie soap in boilin water.

Sort things, make 3 piles

1 pile white,

1 pile colored,

1 pile work britches and rags.

To make starch, stir flour in cool water to smooth, then thin down with boiling water.

Take white things, rub dirty spots on board, scrub hard, and boil, then rub colored don’t boil just wrench and starch.

Take things out of kettle with broom stick handle, then wrench, and starch.

Hang old rags on fence.

Spread tea towels on grass.

Pore wrench water in flower bed. Scrub porch with hot soapy water.

Turn tubs upside down.

Go put on clean dress, smooth hair with hair combs. Brew cup of tea, sit and rock a spell and count your blessings.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/20/11 at 11:16 am

Years ago an Alabama grandmother gave the new bride the following recipe. This is an exact copy as written and found in an old scrapbook, complete with spelling errors (For you non-southerners, wrench means, rinse)

Build fire in backyard to heat kettle of rain water. Set tubs so smoke wont blow in eyes if wind is pert. Shave one hole cake of lie soap in boilin water.

1 pile white,

1 pile colored,

To make starch, stir flour in cool water to smooth, then thin down with boiling water.

Take white things, rub dirty spots on board, scrub hard, and boil, then rub colored don’t boil just wrench and starch.

Hang old rags on fence.

Turn tubs upside down.

Go put on clean dress, smooth hair with hair combs. Brew cup of tea, sit and rock a spell and count your blessings.
I notice...

...brew cup of tea!

Written By: Shiv on 02/20/11 at 11:17 am

Our washer is from 1987. Still works. Our dryer was also from 1987 but it crapped out around 2000.

Written By: snozberries on 02/20/11 at 11:18 am

I'm guessing all these old appliances people are listing are NOT energy star efficient  :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/20/11 at 11:20 am

Our washer is from 1987. Still works. Our dryer was also from 1987 but it crapped out around 2000.
That's modern technology for you!

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/20/11 at 11:21 am

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_rGDisFvv3Do/SmXcfIreR5I/AAAAAAAAAEg/kd-HG96lLF8/s320/washboard&tubII.jpg

Those were the days!

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/20/11 at 11:23 am

1 pile white,

1 pile colored,

Hang old rags on fence.

Turn tubs upside down.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_473nrD5vEv8/TD7rMbWeAaI/AAAAAAAACtg/n2H5v9fXOxM/s1600/Woman-wash-tub.jpg

Wait tills she turns the tub upside down.

Written By: snozberries on 02/20/11 at 11:25 am

at least we're not doing it like this

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/50512526.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=E41C9FE5C4AA0A14B8103D9D83FA295BC98374FADFCA8C984CD81EDEE76F2240B01E70F2B3269972

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/20/11 at 11:36 am

at least we're not doing it like this

http://cache1.asset-cache.net/xc/50512526.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=E41C9FE5C4AA0A14B8103D9D83FA295BC98374FADFCA8C984CD81EDEE76F2240B01E70F2B3269972
This image is not showing...

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm66/Phil_O-Sopher/50512526.jpg

They'll get wet if it rains.

Written By: Howard on 02/20/11 at 1:12 pm

I do not miss the technology of yesteryear  things are so much better now!

I do in a way sometimes.

Written By: Howard on 02/20/11 at 1:13 pm

You didn't have one that looked like this?

http://www.visioncook.com/images/webcast121708%20069_water.jpg

I think my work did. Yup, they bought it back in the dark ages and never bothered to replace it.

Cat

Wow that is so retro.  :o

Written By: Howard on 02/20/11 at 1:14 pm

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_rGDisFvv3Do/SmXcfIreR5I/AAAAAAAAAEg/kd-HG96lLF8/s320/washboard&tubII.jpg

Those were the days!

What if you had a big heavy stain that couldn't come out? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/20/11 at 1:32 pm

Scrub harder!

Written By: snozberries on 02/20/11 at 1:36 pm

they dye the garment a different, darker color...

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/20/11 at 1:39 pm

they dye the garment a different, darker color...
...extremely dark colour?

Written By: Howard on 02/20/11 at 1:42 pm

Scrub harder!

Didn't they have Tide at the time?

Written By: snozberries on 02/20/11 at 1:44 pm

...extremely dark colour?

no gradually darker that way if they got it stained again they had room to dye again.  ;)

Written By: snozberries on 02/20/11 at 1:45 pm

they did have tide but it depended on position of the moon.  :D

Written By: karen on 02/20/11 at 1:47 pm

Tide was invented in 1943

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/20/11 at 1:52 pm

Harder washing when it is a Full Moon?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/20/11 at 1:53 pm

Done at night time, so no one will see?

Written By: snozberries on 02/20/11 at 1:57 pm

depends...which one regulates high tide vs low tide?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/20/11 at 3:20 pm

1985 -- My Beautiful Laundrette
Directed by Stephen Frears

http://movieposters.2038.net/p/My-Beautiful-Laundrette.jpg

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/20/11 at 4:12 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohFJIerqZso

Cat

Written By: Howard on 02/21/11 at 6:19 am

;D

Written By: Howard on 02/21/11 at 6:20 am

Tide was invented in 1943

So Tide was used more in the 1950's.

Written By: karen on 02/21/11 at 8:12 am

So Tide was used more in the 1950's.

more than now? or more than before it was invented?

Written By: snozberries on 02/21/11 at 9:00 am

;D

I owe you more karma.

Written By: wsmith4 on 02/21/11 at 10:29 am

y'all missed my point.  Did you mom have to wash your clothes in the dishwasher like mine did?  Or were there washers and dryers in the 80's like there are now? I cannot remember any of the 80's, despite being born in 1978.  Actually, come to think of it, my first memory is when I joined this forum.

Written By: snozberries on 02/21/11 at 12:13 pm

You can't remember cuz yer a whackadoo
isn't it ironic?
Doncha think?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/21/11 at 1:23 pm

y'all missed my point.  Did you mom have to wash your clothes in the dishwasher like mine did?  Or were there washers and dryers in the 80's like there are now? I cannot remember any of the 80's, despite being born in 1978.  Actually, come to think of it, my first memory is when I joined this forum.
My mother has never owned a dishwasher.

Written By: wsmith4 on 02/21/11 at 1:43 pm

You can't remember cuz yer a whackadoo
isn't it ironic?
Doncha think?

:-[

Written By: AmericanGirl on 02/21/11 at 2:21 pm

Had a dishwasher in the 80's - never put any jeans in them.  Jeans went in the washer/dryer.  ::)

Laundry is one household chore that hasn't made a lot of major strides over my lifetime.  We had washer/dryer since I was a little kid - in the 60's.  Although I distincly remember the family owning a wooden "wash-board" and also a bucket with rollers attached for squeezing out water.  But we had a washer/dryer too, at least by the time I was in grade school.

Dishwashers were more rare at that time - but they were around.  In the 60's dishwashers were mostly owned either by people with new-ish homes or else relatively affluent people.

In both categories of appliances, they probably work a lot better than the early versions - but the old ones were built better.  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 02/21/11 at 2:37 pm

My mother has never owned a dishwasher.

My mother had a dishwasher...... Me  >:(

Written By: snozberries on 02/21/11 at 2:38 pm

Wait--- you're not going all sensitive on me now are you?

Written By: wsmith4 on 02/21/11 at 2:40 pm

Wait--- you're not going all sensitive on me now are you?

Written By: Dagwood on 02/21/11 at 2:41 pm

Nah, we had a washer and dryer.  Mom hated to put anything in the dishwasher.  We had to beat our dishes against the rocks to get them clean.

Written By: snozberries on 02/21/11 at 2:42 pm

Oh jeez.

Written By: Dagwood on 02/21/11 at 2:43 pm

Sounds familiar.  We must have been rich...we had two.  My sister and me.

Written By: snozberries on 02/21/11 at 2:43 pm

Nah, we had a washer and dryer.  Mom hated to put anything in the dishwasher.  We had to beat our dished against the rocks to get them clean.

Now that's funny!  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 02/21/11 at 2:44 pm

Sounds familiar.  We must have been rich...we had two.  My sister and me.

;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/21/11 at 3:11 pm

Same here. And my mom never did my laundry-I did hers.  ::)

Cat

Written By: Howard on 02/21/11 at 7:16 pm

more than before it was invented.

Written By: Howard on 02/21/11 at 7:18 pm

Nah, we had a washer and dryer.  Mom hated to put anything in the dishwasher.  We had to beat our dishes against the rocks to get them clean.

Why against the rocks? ???

Written By: Dagwood on 02/21/11 at 8:04 pm

Why against the rocks? ???

So that we didn't ruin the dishwasher by using it to clean the dishes.

Written By: snozberries on 02/21/11 at 8:10 pm

Who's on first?

Written By: karen on 02/22/11 at 6:25 am

more than before it was invented.

:-\\

Well I think they probably do use more now that it's been invented

Written By: Howard on 02/22/11 at 6:26 am

So that we didn't ruin the dishwasher by using it to clean the dishes.

Wouldn't they break?  ???

Written By: Dagwood on 02/22/11 at 6:50 am

Wouldn't they break?  ???

Not if you do it right. ;)

Written By: wsmith4 on 02/22/11 at 6:52 am

Not if they're rubber.

I always eat off rubber plates, don't you?  In fact, is there any other option??

By the way, folks, what's up with washing machines?  Did they exist in the 80's or did we all wash our clothes in the dishwasher like my mom did?

Written By: Howard on 02/22/11 at 6:59 am

Not if you do it right. ;)

Why not just use soap and water? ???

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/22/11 at 12:28 pm

Who's on first?

Rolling Stones on Second?  ;)

What is on second.

Written By: snozberries on 02/22/11 at 12:47 pm

What is on second.

I don't know.
(third base)

Written By: Dagwood on 02/22/11 at 6:07 pm

Why not just use soap and water? ???

Rocks work better

Written By: Howard on 02/22/11 at 7:21 pm

Rocks work better

So rocks would be the scrubbing friction as you would rub the stain out?  ???

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/22/11 at 8:55 pm

What is on second.

What, The Band?  No, Yes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlXjIg4fH74

(Rolling Stones aren't even in this thread!)

Written By: Dagwood on 02/22/11 at 9:06 pm

So rocks would be the scrubbing friction as you would rub the stain out?  ???

You got it.  They work great on the fine china

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/22/11 at 10:11 pm

What, The Band?  No, Yes!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlXjIg4fH74

(Rolling Stones aren't even in this thread!)

That was awesome! and Who.  ;D

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/22/11 at 11:15 pm

That was awesome! and Who.  ;D

Yes?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/23/11 at 12:21 am

Yes?

The Band.

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/23/11 at 12:28 am

The Band.

No, Bookmistress, The Band is performing later on.  Who's on stage!  (This thread's about what?)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/23/11 at 1:30 am

Rocks work better
Rock 'n Roll!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/23/11 at 2:08 am

I understand (according to the infomercial) that Stonedine cookware, you can even heat up your random piece of tasty gravel without hurting the pan.  I believe everything they say...  :P  http://www.drtvvideos.com/video/fe3a7359db4f371/Stone-Dine  (I'm up way too late usually and have become addicted to informercials.)

Written By: Howard on 02/23/11 at 6:21 am

You got it.  They work great on the fine china

Ok,Thanks.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/23/11 at 7:43 am

Ancient Chinese Secrets.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 02/23/11 at 12:14 pm

http://newimages.yachtworld.com/2/0/7/9/5/2079550_24.jpg?1193714649000

This here is an 1983 washer and dryer.^

Written By: wsmith4 on 02/23/11 at 12:34 pm

Really? That doesn't look anything like an appliance from that time.  Who says it's from 1983?

Written By: Howard on 02/23/11 at 12:38 pm

Really? That doesn't look anything like an appliance from that time.  Who says it's from 1983?

the website.

Written By: wsmith4 on 02/23/11 at 12:45 pm

what website?

Written By: snozberries on 02/23/11 at 1:29 pm

hey bill.....did you and senor chang grow up in the same household?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/23/11 at 8:25 pm

Apparently they DID have front-loading washers in 1983, here is a youtube video of the final rinse and spin cycle of an 1983 machine.  Yes, I AM avoiding doing anything productive (how can you tell?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMeVJGYF6Gk

Written By: snozberries on 02/23/11 at 8:30 pm

Apparently they DID have front-loading washers in 1983, here is a youtube video of the final rinse and spin cycle of an 1983 machine.  Yes, I AM avoiding doing anything productive (how can you tell?)

Ha ha ha. Your ability to procrastinate astounds me!!

Written By: Howard on 02/24/11 at 6:44 am

what website?

I'll have to check again.

Written By: Howard on 02/24/11 at 6:47 am

Apparently they DID have front-loading washers in 1983, here is a youtube video of the final rinse and spin cycle of an 1983 machine.  Yes, I AM avoiding doing anything productive (how can you tell?)

Wow,I don't think they sell those front loading washers anymore? ???

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/24/11 at 7:05 am

Ha ha ha. Your ability to procrastinate astounds me!!

You have to go with what you are good at...  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 02/24/11 at 9:24 am

Wow,I don't think they sell those front loading washers anymore? ???

No they don't sell those front loading washers anymore but they do sell front loading washers. They are quite popular nowadays.

Written By: lorac61469 on 02/24/11 at 9:28 am

Wow that is so retro.  :o

Not really retro.  They are new and are still used in Dairy Queens around the country.  I should know hubby runs two DQ's and is getting ready to open another in the Spring.

Written By: karen on 02/24/11 at 9:29 am

No they don't sell those front loading washers anymore but they do sell front loading washers. They are quite popular nowadays.

In the UK pretty much all washing machines are front loaders.  The style of machine we had in the US is considered hopelessly old-fashioned in the UK!  However most houses have the washing machine in the kitchen so the frontloaders are more practical, fitting under the worktop

Written By: lorac61469 on 02/24/11 at 9:35 am

We have a front loader made by LG and it SUCKS and it stinks (as in smells)!!!  Apparently it's a problem with those types of machines and Tide is selling a product to remove the smell.  I usually just run an empty cycle with tons of bleach to clean it.

I had an LG dryer too and the drum inside cracked, it was also a piece of crap...basically all my LG appliances suck. DO NOT BUY LG!!!

Written By: karen on 02/24/11 at 9:41 am

We have a front loader made by LG and it SUCKS and it stinks (as in smells)!!!  Apparently it's a problem with those types of machines and Tide is selling a product to remove the smell.  I usually just run an empty cycle with tons of bleach to clean it.

I had an LG dryer too and the drum inside cracked, it was also a piece of crap...basically all my LG appliances suck. DO NOT BUY LG!!!

You need to leave the door open after washing to let the inner seal dry out.  Also every few months or so run a hot wash (bio powder) with no clothes in to clean all through it.

Written By: lorac61469 on 02/24/11 at 9:44 am

You need to leave the door open after washing to let the inner seal dry out.  Also every few months or so run a hot wash (bio powder) with no clothes in to clean all through it.

Ohhhhh!!!  I had no idea!  Thanks.    :)

Written By: Howard on 02/24/11 at 1:11 pm

must be in those laundromats.

Written By: snozberries on 02/24/11 at 3:35 pm

just for clarification I said

meaning the 1983 version... just making sure everyone caught that.  :P

Written By: Dagwood on 02/24/11 at 5:22 pm

Yup, I have one.

Written By: snozberries on 02/24/11 at 5:45 pm

Yup, I have one.

I want one. I want the set that looks like tv sets!!!!  8)  Despite what carol says about lg  :P

http://www.abesofmaine.com/abeimg/lgwm3885hcca.jpg

Written By: Dagwood on 02/24/11 at 6:57 pm

I want one. I want the set that looks like tv sets!!!!  8)  Despite what carol says about lg  :P

I love it.

Written By: lorac61469 on 02/24/11 at 7:15 pm

I want one. I want the set that looks like tv sets!!!!  8)  Despite what carol says about lg  :P

LG makes good cell phones...anything bigger, not so much and getting someone out for service is nearly impossible. 

Written By: snozberries on 02/24/11 at 7:29 pm

I love it.

Totally me right?

LG makes good cell phones...anything bigger, not so much and getting someone out for service is nearly impossible. 

But the most important thing is that it looks like a tv set. Hell if I had a house that thing looks so good I'd totally have one in my bedroom. On display....like a tv  :D

Written By: Dagwood on 02/24/11 at 9:58 pm

Totally me right?

It sure is. :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/25/11 at 7:58 am

I want a washer/dryer that will put the clothes in by itself and when it is done will fold them & put them away. Have they invented those yet?

Cat

Written By: wsmith4 on 02/25/11 at 9:59 am

My mom had a dishwasher back in the 80's that she used to wash our jeans in, but I don't think washers & dryers were around back then so she had no other choice.

Written By: Howard on 02/25/11 at 3:01 pm

just for clarification I said

meaning the 1983 version... just making sure everyone caught that.  :P

I did but not at first.

Written By: Howard on 02/25/11 at 3:02 pm

Wow,it does look like a TV Screen.  :o

Written By: Howard on 02/25/11 at 3:03 pm

I want a washer/dryer that will put the clothes in by itself and when it is done will fold them & put them away. Have they invented those yet?

Cat

Nope not yet but maybe in the next couple of years.

Written By: snozberries on 02/25/11 at 3:52 pm

Cat

They do have them... its called Clean Attire Robotic Laundry Operating System or C.A.R.L.O.S. for short... you just have to program them properly first. :D

Written By: Dagwood on 02/25/11 at 4:57 pm

Cat

I am so with you on that. 

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/25/11 at 7:26 pm

They do have them... its called Clean Attire Robotic Laundry Operating System or C.A.R.L.O.S. for short... you just have to program them properly first. :D

Ya know, I really hate it when you make a post like that and I get a message like this:

Sorry, you can't repeat a karma action without waiting 24 hours.

I owe ya one.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 02/25/11 at 7:28 pm

Ya know, I really hate it when you make a post like that and I get a message like this:

I owe ya one.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

I got her for ya.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/25/11 at 7:51 pm

I got her for ya.

Thanks, & I got you.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 02/25/11 at 7:55 pm

I owe ya one.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

so do I!!!!  ;D

Written By: Don Carlos on 02/25/11 at 8:03 pm

That could work if I could get a Cook At aTtendance, and a Chauffeurt At The-ready, otherwise, I think the work load is fairly equally divided, thank you very much

Written By: snozberries on 02/25/11 at 8:05 pm

That could work if I could get a Cook At aTtendance, and a Chauffeurt At The-ready, otherwise, I think the work load is fairly equally divided, thank you very much

;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/26/11 at 7:36 am

so do I!!!!  ;D

Paid.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 02/26/11 at 10:03 am

Paid.

Cat

O0

Written By: Howard on 02/26/11 at 3:18 pm

AHA!  ;D

Written By: Howard on 02/26/11 at 3:18 pm

;D

Written By: stingr22 on 03/07/11 at 9:41 pm

I've never heard of anyone washing clothes in the dishwasher, except I used to wash baseball caps in there.  My mom did our laundry in the washer and dryer.  In the summer, she would put some of the clothes out on a clothesline to save electricity, I guess.  We got our first dishwasher in the late 70s, which was a dream come true for me!  I no longer had to hand wash dishes!!

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/10/11 at 9:46 pm

http://www.tomroyal.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/lolralph.jpg

I just look for the Gary Larson Cat Fud cartoon, and the Internets do the rest.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/12/11 at 10:00 pm

I just look for the Gary Larson Cat Fud cartoon, and the Internets do the rest.

One of my favorite Far Sides indeed!

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Po2L6M_34bM/SLM8IpGvBiI/AAAAAAAAAfg/vEG3NxWOaAA/s400/cat+fud.jpg

I see the dog as James O'Keefe and the cat as Ron Schiller!
:D

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/15/11 at 12:19 am

I see the dog as James O'Keefe and the cat as Ron Schiller! :D

I'm not sure which one I see myself as,

http://www.gamesprays.com/images/icons/Missile_icon939.jpg

but I love this one, especially when the whole world's blowing up.

Check for new replies or respond here...