inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What happened to all the comic book stores???

Written By: 70s80s90s on 03/22/11 at 2:35 am

I'm a pure Gen Xer born in 1972. One thing I enjoyed in the mid/late 70s and 80s as a kid/teenager was spending my weekly allowance @ the local comic book store(s). I commute from home to work every day or do errands on my days off and I don't see comic book stores anymore! WTF!? Yeah, Barnes and Noble, Borders, and independent book stores have comic books, but it's not the same as going into a dedicated store that sells purely comic books. Also, man, are these comic books today EXPENSIVE...Sheesh. What are they now? 5 bucks each? And the quality of these books suck! Too CGI like for me.  No wonder you don't see kids having boxes of comic books in their rooms today like I used to have back in the day. Kids today are missing out. Nothing beats going to the local comic book store buying the next issue of your favorite comic book(s). My favorites were The Amazing Spider-Man, The Avengers, The Hulk, The Transformers, G.I. Joe, X-men, Savage Sword of Conan, Superman, Sgt. Rock, and other titles. These days, kids watch these superheroes in the big screen or on blu-ray. So sad.

Generation X

Subject: Re: What happened to all the comic book stores???

Written By: snozberries on 03/22/11 at 11:51 am

We have s large comic book shop in Santa Barbara and while I was in LA I found one in Burbank and one on Melrose (more Hollywood than Beverly Hills Melrose)

Written By: snozberries on 03/22/11 at 11:51 am

Also there's an app for that.

Written By: RG1995 on 03/22/11 at 5:23 pm

Comics aren't as popular. Not too hard to figure that out really...

Written By: Howard on 03/22/11 at 7:20 pm

I don't see many Comic book stores these days,They must be passe.

Written By: MrCleveland on 03/23/11 at 4:06 pm

I, myself LOVE the Disney, Simpsons, Looney Tunes, and Sonic the Hedgehog Comic Franchises. They are more toward the Comedy/Adventure genre rather than the superhero genre.

It's been awhile since I've stepped foot into a Comic Book Store, but I think once the weather breaks (April) I'll probably stop by this comic book store called Carol & John's and if they don't have the comic...they can find it for you!

Written By: Howard on 03/23/11 at 7:02 pm

Remember those comic book stores that sold Superman,Batman and Wonder Woman comicbooks?

Written By: 80sfan on 03/23/11 at 7:37 pm

Comics aren't as popular. Not too hard to figure that out really...

I think we all know that, but it's hard for us to admit because it means the end of an era.  :-\\

Written By: Davester on 03/23/11 at 11:21 pm

I used to relish leisurely browsing through comic book shops and record stores.  My old standby for comic books was Comics&Comix at a local mall.  Started hitting that shop when I was in high school.  Incredible selection of current and back issues, as well as RPG (not rocket propelled grenade) supplies.  Last time I visited was in late 2003.  They closed a year later...

No shortage of online comic book dealers however, my main online haunts being Westfield Comics and TFAW, though they lack the charm of a brick-and-mortar shoppe.  Ah, the sweet scent of old ink and paper...

Comics are alive, well and better than ever. The most ordinary regular release of today far surpasses the most lavishly illustrated and printed "graphic novel" of yesteryear, no doubt about it.  It's three bucks a pop, now.  Yeah, I know, I know, but sh*t, if you can't afford the price of a comic book, your $$$ may be better spent elsewhere...

Written By: snozberries on 03/24/11 at 12:27 am

Also there's an app for that.

comic zeal. $7.99

Written By: Howard on 03/24/11 at 5:46 am

I think we all know that, but it's hard for us to admit because it means the end of an era.  :-\\

We can always re-live that era.

Written By: Cory! on 03/25/11 at 4:32 am

As a teenager, I can say comics are pretty popular around here with kids my age, and younger. There's quite a few comic book stores around here. :)

Written By: Howard on 03/25/11 at 6:15 am

comic book stores used to also sell baseball memorabilia and wrestling stuff too.

Written By: MrCleveland on 03/25/11 at 10:45 am

comic book stores used to also sell baseball memorabilia and wrestling stuff too.

I went to one place where they would play Dungeons and Dragons.

I myself would like to have a Comic Book Store with A Music Store, DVD Store, Video Game Store, and a Nostalgia Store. So you can get a comic book, a movie, a record, a Sega game, and a Happy Meal Toy in one place!

Written By: Howard on 03/25/11 at 7:04 pm

I went to one place where they would play Dungeons and Dragons.

I myself would like to have a Comic Book Store with A Music Store, DVD Store, Video Game Store, and a Nostalgia Store. So you can get a comic book, a movie, a record, a Sega game, and a Happy Meal Toy in one place!

Comic book stores used to have video games you used to put quarters in all day.

Written By: moycon on 03/28/11 at 1:16 am

We have comic book stores in my area. I can think of three within driving distance.
I used to collect comics about 20 years ago. I stopped because they started to cost too much! In the 80's I could get a comic for like .50-.75 these days they are like $3-$5
Used to be good cheap entertainment. Lately I've been buying the DC Showcase Presents and the Marvel Essentials. You get around 20 classic comics in a book form for about $10.
The only downside is that they are only in B&W. Still thanks to these books, comics are good cheap entertainment again! :)

Written By: Howard on 03/28/11 at 6:41 am

We have comic book stores in my area. I can think of three within driving distance.
I used to collect comics about 20 years ago. I stopped because they started to cost too much! In the 80's I could get a comic for like .50-.75 these days they are like $3-$5
Used to be good cheap entertainment. Lately I've been buying the DC Showcase Presents and the Marvel Essentials. You get around 20 classic comics in a book form for about $10.
The only downside is that they are only in B&W. Still thanks to these books, comics are good cheap entertainment again! :)

I think you can get them on Ebay for cheap. ???

Written By: youngerderek on 03/29/11 at 12:38 am

they're still around. not as common no, but just like record stores, and arcades, most sizable cities have at least one.

Written By: Howard on 03/29/11 at 6:27 am

they're still around. not as common no, but just like record stores, and arcades, most sizable cities have at least one.

I don't think New York has many.

Written By: tv on 03/29/11 at 1:05 pm

Yeah I used to collect baseball cards when I was younger.

Written By: nally on 03/29/11 at 1:06 pm

I have been collecting them for almost 25 years myself, and have a collection of more than 7,000 of 'em. (Mostly from the 80's and 90's.)

Written By: tv on 03/29/11 at 1:09 pm

I have been collecting them for almost 25 years myself, and have a collection of more than 7,000 of 'em. (Mostly from the 80's and 90's.)
I was big into baseball cards in 1993-1994.

Written By: tv on 03/29/11 at 1:13 pm

We used to have a store called "Star Spangled Comics" about 3-5 minutes away from my house in the early to mid 90's I think. They were big into baseball cards when their business first started out but then totally went into the comic books.

Written By: nally on 03/29/11 at 1:19 pm

I was big into baseball cards in 1993-1994.

Right around that time, the new ones were all being glossed and becoming more expensive. And I began focusing on completing my older sets; in fact, the 1987 Topps were being sold at a reasonable rate at this one store which I regularly went to.

Written By: tv on 03/29/11 at 2:04 pm

Right around that time, the new ones were all being glossed and becoming more expensive. And I began focusing on completing my older sets; in fact, the 1987 Topps were being sold at a reasonable rate at this one store which I regularly went to.
Yeah I remember the "Fleer Ultra" sets which were glossed over. I liked "Stadium Club", "Upper Deck" and "DonRuss" too.The thing that got me was the card company's were doing special issue sets like mid year issues.

Written By: Howard on 03/29/11 at 7:25 pm

The Mets And Yankees.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 03/30/11 at 12:21 am

We have at least 3 independent comic book stores here in Pittsburgh, although it seems that most use the same distributor and don't stock the comics I like.  I'm more drawn to 70s era horror comics myself and got four or five long boxes worth.

Written By: Howard on 03/30/11 at 6:22 am

Remember when comic book stores had video games?

Written By: yelimsexa on 03/30/11 at 10:03 am

A store at a mega-mall I went to over the weekend had a sports shop with lots of baseball cards in boxes, many from the '80s and early '90s. These cards, unlike your parents' '50s and '60s cards did, won't be appreciating in value much anytime soon, due to the large quantity produced and still available and most in excellent or near mint condition. Of course the Digital Natives feel that paper comics are "before their time" as well.

Check for new replies or respond here...