inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: '70s holdovers

Written By: yelimsexa on 03/27/11 at 9:10 pm

To parallel the thread in the '90s board, let's do a similar topic for the '70s-'80s. I'm listening to KC (still with the Sunshine Band supposedly to drop the disco connontation) and his song Give It Up and was a #1 UK hit and a Top 20 US hit in late 1983, yet it could practically pass for the late '70s (with just a few synth sounds to remind you it's now the '80s). Kool In The Gang up to In The Heart in '83 still had many songs with that lingering sound as well (though Emergency was full-blown '80s).  Gino Vannelli's "Living Inside Myself" (1981) isn't too unlike Earth, Wind & Fire's "After The Love Has Gone". What are some other songs that you mistake as "70s songs" yet they actually came out in the '80s?

NOTE: This topic has been done before, but there are definately some others that I could identify (and some from the other thread I disagree about). For example, the Bangles' Manic Monday is clearly '80s sounding. Paul Davis '65 Love Affair and Cool Night, though common thought of as "'70s sounding", do actually feel early '80s to me as there are lots of analog synths and  electronic gated reverb drums used in those songs. The same is true with Baby Come To Me. Those were typical "80s soft rock sounding" that aren't unlike the David Foster-styled ballads just around the corner.

http://www.inthe00s.com/archive/inthe80s/smf/1234805796.shtml

Subject: Re: '70s holdovers

Written By: Emman on 03/29/11 at 10:20 am

Celebration by Kool and the Gang
Fame by Irene Cara
Upside Down by Diana Ross
All I Do by Stevie Wonder

Written By: tv on 03/29/11 at 12:51 pm

To parallel the thread in the '90s board, let's do a similar topic for the '70s-'80s. I'm listening to KC (still with the Sunshine Band supposedly to drop the disco connontation) and his song Give It Up and was a #1 UK hit and a Top 20 US hit in late 1983, yet it could practically pass for the late '70s (with just a few synth sounds to remind you it's now the '80s). Kool In The Gang up to In The Heart in '83 still had many songs with that lingering sound as well (though Emergency was full-blown '80s). Gino Vannelli's "Living Inside Myself" (1981) isn't too unlike Earth, Wind & Fire's "After The Love Has Gone". What are some other songs that you mistake as "70s songs" yet they actually came out in the '80s?

NOTE: This topic has been done before, but there are definately some others that I could identify (and some from the other thread I disagree about). For example, the Bangles' Manic Monday is clearly '80s sounding. Paul Davis '65 Love Affair and Cool Night, though common thought of as "'70s sounding", do actually feel early '80s to me as there are lots of analog synths and  electronic gated reverb drums used in those songs. The same is true with Baby Come To Me. Those were typical "80s soft rock sounding" that aren't unlike the David Foster-styled ballads just around the corner.

http://www.inthe00s.com/archive/inthe80s/smf/1234805796.shtml
No "After The Love Is Gone" come out in 1982. I thought those 2 songs did sound alike though.

Yeah "Cool Night" sounds 70's vocally with a little 80's synth in the production.

Written By: yelimsexa on 03/29/11 at 1:19 pm

No "After The Love Is Gone" come out in 1982. I thought those 2 songs did sound alike though.

That was 1979.

Written By: tv on 04/11/11 at 4:03 pm

Into The Light by Benny Mardones was like this too in that the vocals sounded 70's A/C styles but the production sounded la ittle 80's synth.

"Hearts" by "Marty Balin" I think had the same 70's/80's formula as "Into The Light" too with the vocal and synth production.

Written By: youngerderek on 04/11/11 at 10:03 pm

to me Blondie is more of a 70s holdover than an 80s band (they were together from 1974 to 1982).

Written By: Howard on 04/12/11 at 6:37 am

What's a "holdover"?  ???

Written By: whistledog on 04/12/11 at 12:06 pm

Not so much a holdover, but an actual 70s song ...

'Wondering Where the Lions Are' by Bruce Cockburn.  Known in the US as a Top 40 hit in 1980, it was already a Top 40 hit in Canada in mid-late 1979

Written By: yelimsexa on 04/13/11 at 8:44 am

to me Blondie is more of a 70s holdover than an 80s band (they were together from 1974 to 1982).

The song "Rapture" itself is a "Rapper's Delight" holdover as well! The same "Good Times" beat sampled in there.

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/14/11 at 9:37 pm

Pedant Alert: Parallel Lines came out in 1978, and it was Blondie's third album.  Heart of Glass was disco enough to send the band stratospheric in 1978/1979, but  One Way or Another was punk/new-wave enough not to die along with disco.  Blondie was clever and talented enough to bridge both genres at the cusp of the 70s/80s transition, kept experimenting through 1979's Eat to the Beat (from which most people don't remember anything), but it was enough to the nod from Moroder to do Call Me for the American Gigolo soundtrack.

The song "Rapture" itself is a "Rapper's Delight" holdover as well! The same "Good Times" beat sampled in there.

And that's how we got the brilliant Autoamerican later in 1980, which brought us Rapture and the overplayed-at-the-time (but still cute) Tide is High, after which there was nothing left to do but fade away and radiate. 

But the faint golden glow of the tubes still lights up the amps, some 32 years later.

Written By: youngerderek on 04/15/11 at 1:30 pm

I really do think the 80s cultural era began right in 1980 on the whole. there was a lot of 80s-style stuff in the late 70s, and also an equal amount of 70s stuff after 1980. the eighties was one of those rare eras that began on time.

Written By: Nostalgic on 04/16/11 at 6:53 am

One Day In Your Life - Michael Jackson: recorded in '75, released as a single in '81
I've Never Been To Me - Charlene: recorded in '77, released in '82
The Night Owls - Little River Band, 1981
Longer - Dan Fogelberg: 1980, but has an early '70s sound
Words - F.R. David: 1983, but has that sappy '70s sound (I don't like the song at all)
Workin' My Way Back To You Babe - Spinners: a 1980 remake of a song from '65
Hands Up - Ottawan: very much a disco song, but was a hit in the second half of 1981

I should think of some more later.

Written By: watertowater on 04/18/11 at 5:28 am

Longer - Dan Fogelberg: 1980, but has an early '70s sound

Yeah, exactly what I was thinking.

Check for new replies or respond here...