inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Collectibles/vintage items of value from the '80s

Written By: yelimsexa on 03/29/11 at 1:38 pm

For better or for worse, I feel like there's a giant toll booth on Memory Lane on the way to the '80s for certain elements in particular. Some (such as cassettes/records and most video games) are really just gas money, but others may have a significant value, even for items that are seemingly common. But this saddens my heart along with other '80s friends as it makes you realize the price to enjoy nostalgia is increasing and conserving what's left of whatever was "Made in the '80s" will continue to become more important, and makes you want to kick yourself for throwing away some of the items I'm listing below many years ago.

Paper goods, such as magazines, newspapers, and catalogs are one noticeable item. Being that the '80s have a special element of being the last decade before the Internet started to take over print, are one example. For example, an issue of Brides magazine with a December 1989 issue date which retailed for $5 is asking for a whopping $135 on eBay!  :\'( http://cgi.ebay.com/vintage-BRIDES-magazine-1989-1990-Elaine-Irwin-cover-/330531218423?pt=Magazines&hash=item4cf53223f7 Not only that, it has some cover wear, writing on the cover, and a stamp on the cover as well. Typical Vogue magazines often sell for $20-$30 when they cost $3-$4 during the '80s itself, much higher when adjusted for inflation. Since lots of these magazines haven't been scanned online, there is definately some increased collector's interest, especially as eBooks seek to decline paper book usage and more shelf space can open the door to some collectibles. Fashion catalogs frequently sell for $10-$20 as well, when they were either free or just a few bucks.

Certain toys from the '80s, particularyly scarce items, have seen noticeable appreciation in value. This includes the rare video games in addition, some go for hundreds of dollars.

Cars, on the otherhand, are still pretty affordable bargains. For example, a 1985 Cadillac Limousine, well over $25,000 when new and definately for the "Polo Set" at the time and in average used condition with no major wear, currently has just 1 bid at $1800. Part of this has to do with the boxy styling compared with other decades, but given how much cars from the '60s cost 20 years ago in terms of collectibles, this is definately a good area for future classics and cars up to 1986 are old enough to be considered "historic" in many jurisdictions. You'll probably spend more on gas the first year than just for the value of this car!

Next time you visit a Flea Market or (dare I say it) an Antique mall, gobble up some '80s memorabilia if you feel it is cheap for the present; interest will only grow in time!

Subject: Re: Collectibles/vintage items of value from the '80s

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/29/11 at 1:58 pm

When Michael Jackson died the following weeks on eBay it was mayhem of his albums, records and memorabilia being sold at a frantic rate.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 03/29/11 at 2:50 pm

I have 2 vintage 1984 Michael Jackson dolls, one bought in 1999 and the other bought in 2000, both were 100 dollars apiece at the time--which to a 13 year old was EXPENSIVE when MJ cocnert tickets at the time were only aboiut 50 dollars.

I just bought a doll based on MJ's bad video appearance and the price was obscene. LMAO.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/29/11 at 4:11 pm

As someone who buys junk & sells antiques, I know that things can be worth quite a bit. The biggest? TOYS, TOYS, & more TOYS!!!! Especially when toys are in their original package.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 03/29/11 at 7:24 pm

I have the old Gameboy from 1989 and I may want to sell it but not sure what I'm gonna get for it?  ???

Written By: whistledog on 03/30/11 at 7:51 pm

I have the old Gameboy from 1989 and I may want to sell it but not sure what I'm gonna get for it?  ???

A couple of bucks maybe.

Written By: Howard on 03/31/11 at 6:41 am

A couple of bucks maybe.

Yeah,that's probably how much It'll cost today.

Written By: youngerderek on 04/05/11 at 8:43 pm

Yeah, not much

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/06/11 at 1:23 am

The value is all down to the question of the rarity of the product.

Written By: Howard on 04/06/11 at 6:34 am

The value is all down to the question of the rarity of the product.

Nobody is into Gameboy anymore,technology has changed a lot over the past 22 years.

Written By: Howard on 04/06/11 at 6:35 am

I still have the old Monopoly game board from when I was growing up.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/06/11 at 1:52 pm

I still have the old Monopoly game board from when I was growing up.
In its original box?

Written By: wsmith4 on 04/06/11 at 2:51 pm

I find that mostly Fortune 500 items are the hardest to find, but nothing as if not coherent!  Leftovers from the 80's, we are, for better or for worse, and I'm not about to lay down my inhibitions for that!  It's time to stand up and sing Monopology!!!!! 

Written By: Howard on 04/07/11 at 6:42 am

In its original box?

Yes It Is but half the box is all taped up from wear and tear over the years.

Written By: bird7773 on 05/18/11 at 2:11 pm

Ahh the 80', that was my time.  A time of great music, as well as movies and friends. Raiders of the Lost Ark, Van Halen among many others, it don't get any better than that, oh yea the clothes, the chute pants and cut out side shirts...

Written By: Howard on 05/18/11 at 7:22 pm

I still have this game where you have to press the buttons to correspond to the colors that light and it's not SIMON,It's called COPYCAT and I've had it for 23 years,all it needs are batteries.

Check for new replies or respond here...