inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is the R&B of the '80s more forgotten than that of the '70s or '90s?

Written By: yelimsexa on 04/04/11 at 1:03 pm

One thing that really makes me nostalgic for the '80s is nor the New Wave, not the Hair Metal, not even the R&B big crossovers like Michael Jackson and Prince, not the early hip hop, but the Funk, R&B, Soul, and New Jack Swing artists. This was doomed from the start given 1980 was in the wake of disco's backlash and mainstream AOR radio shyed away from most black artists except for a select few, proven artists like Lionel Richie, MJ, and Diana Ross. I'm saying this now because even second tier R&B groups from the '60s, '70s, and '90s are still devoted a known, such as the Emotions, A Taste Of Honey, Dazz Band, Xscape, and SWV. MTV was also slow getting their act on and BET really just added the segregation to the pop of this era. Then of course in the '90s black music was popular again with mainstream audiences. It's hard to find on many radio stations, and except for a few devoted followers, lots of this stuff is forgotten.

Subject: Re: Is the R&B of the '80s more forgotten than that of the '70s or '90s?

Written By: tv on 04/04/11 at 4:15 pm

R&B in the 80's: Well I don;t think Luther Vandross, Sade, or Anita Baker are forgotten from that era or even "DeBarge".

I do think that Alexander O' Neal, Cherelle, Mel'isa Morgan, Kashif, Shirley Murdock, Phlyiss Hyman are forgotten from that era though. Maybe even the Pointer Sisters , Deniece Williams(she was the Christina Aguilera of that era), and The Mary Jane Girls are forgotten. Even a group like "Troop" who were a pre-cusor to 90's R&B in 1989 are forgotten.

Yeah thats true the 90's and and for most of the 70's until disco hit R&B was pretty popular.

Subject: Re: Is the R&B of the '80s more forgotten than that of the '70s or '90s?

Written By: youngerderek on 04/04/11 at 5:26 pm

I don't think it's forgotten, I just don't think it's seen as defining the decade in way the 70s and 90s R&B did.

Written By: yelimsexa on 04/04/11 at 8:58 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL3Geo5_uQI They're a second-tier disco carryover, but this is a great forgotten gem here.

Written By: Howard on 04/05/11 at 6:33 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL3Geo5_uQI They're a second-tier disco carryover, but this is a great forgotten gem here.

I love the group GQ. :)

Written By: Howard on 04/05/11 at 6:34 am

The R&B of the 80's will never be forgotten,It's something I listen to almost all the time now.

Written By: robby76 on 04/05/11 at 10:52 am

The whole breakdance craze was more or less RnB and elements of that are still alive and well today.

Don't forget Janet Jackson and Whitney Houston were huge breakout stars! Then again you could also class them as 'soul' or 'pop'.

And if anything I too lean more towards 80s soul music... Five Star, Debarge, Atlantic Starr, Jets, New Edition, Pointer Sisters, Michael McDonald.

Written By: tv on 04/05/11 at 6:08 pm

The whole breakdance craze was more or less RnB and elements of that are still alive and well today.

Don't forget Janet Jackson and Whitney Houston were huge breakout stars! Then again you could also class them as 'soul' or 'pop'.

And if anything I too lean more towards 80s soul music... Five Star, Debarge, Atlantic Starr, Jets, New Edition, Pointer Sisters, Michael McDonald.
Oh yeah I forgot about them.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/05/11 at 6:44 pm

Gotta have me some Janet Jackson.  8)

Written By: Howard on 04/05/11 at 7:44 pm

Five Star, Debarge, Atlantic Starr, Jets, New Edition, Pointer Sisters, Michael McDonald.

Earth Wind And Fire,Grandmaster Flash,Secret Weapon,Kwick,Jermaine Jackson.

Written By: robby76 on 04/05/11 at 8:05 pm

So I think the answer is no, they're not particularly forgotten.  :)

Howard, I was looking at a Jermaine Jackson's greatest hits cd yesterday. Might get it at some point just to have in the collection.

Written By: robby76 on 04/05/11 at 8:09 pm

Oh yeah I forgot about them.

And don't forget Bobby Brown with his Don't Be Cruel album.

Written By: Howard on 04/05/11 at 8:18 pm

Howard, I was looking at a Jermaine Jackson's greatest hits cd yesterday. Might get it at some point just to have in the collection.

love a few of his favorites.

Written By: tv on 04/11/11 at 4:20 pm

I liked "Do What You Do" from 1984 by him.

Written By: tv on 04/11/11 at 5:13 pm

One thing that really makes me nostalgic for the '80s is nor the New Wave, not the Hair Metal, not even the R&B big crossovers like Michael Jackson and Prince, not the early hip hop, but the Funk, R&B, Soul, and New Jack Swing artists. This was doomed from the start given 1980 was in the wake of disco's backlash and mainstream AOR radio shyed away from most black artists except for a select few, proven artists like Lionel Richie, MJ, and Diana Ross. I'm saying this now because even second tier R&B groups from the '60s, '70s, and '90s are still devoted a known, such as the Emotions, A Taste Of Honey, Dazz Band, Xscape, and SWV. MTV was also slow getting their act on and BET really just added the segregation to the pop of this era. Then of course in the '90s black music was popular again with mainstream audiences. It's hard to find on many radio stations, and except for a few devoted followers, lots of this stuff is forgotten.
Yeah as I eluded too in another post I was watching a special on the pop/R&B group Debarge like a year and a half ago and the moderator said on the special that Debarge had an advantage when they first debut in the music scene in the early 80's: that they were light skinned. I was like really race/ethicity still mattered in the music industry at that point? It must have been from the disco backlash that black artists weren't getting a fair shake. I didn't add those 2 points together with the disco backlash and why black artists weren't getting a fair shake at that time when I was watching that special. The moderator on that special said Michael Jackson was the only black artist that was crossing over onto pop radio at that time I think.

Written By: Howard on 04/12/11 at 6:42 am

The 80's R & B will never be forgotten,The sounds of Jeffery Osbourne,El Debarge,Freddie Jackson,Michael McDonald and Stevie Wonder will never be forgotten either.

Check for new replies or respond here...