inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Madonna's "Burning Up" - a forgotten gem

Written By: lucky2003 on 04/23/11 at 2:19 pm

I know probably this has been brought up earlier, but anyway. Who likes Madonna's 1983 "Burning Up" video? I sure do! I prefer "Burning Up" to her other overrated 80s hit singles like "Like A Virgin" and "Material Girl", I mean they were good, but this song is truly good. I like it because it's raw and so underground, while still being catchy.  :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pufec0Hps00
She used to be so cool. What the hell happened? Sometimes I wish that she stayed a one/two/three-hit wonder, so people would stop hating her and calling her names. I guess she's the only artist, that debuted in 1982/3 who's still hugely popular.

Subject: Re: Madonna's "Burning Up" - a forgotten gem

Written By: 80sfan on 04/23/11 at 3:57 pm

It's weird, because Madonna didn't really have a hit song until Holiday, which hit number 16 on the charts (US chart). Her first 2 songs: Everybody and Burning Up were flops, despite being good songs!

And even then, people didn't really know who Madonna was until about 1984 with 'Lucky Star'.

And the Madonna hate? I think it's called jealously. When you're that successful and for that long (almost 30 years) you're bound to attract hate from some people.

Written By: Howard on 04/23/11 at 7:17 pm

And she started "Everybody" in October of 1982 which was her first major hit.

Written By: 80sfan on 04/23/11 at 8:26 pm

Well, it wasn't a hit, but it was a single!  :(

Written By: Howard on 04/24/11 at 6:44 am

http://www.trouveztout.org/Madonna/images/madonna-Everybody.jpg

And she started the whole hot "boytoy" image look.  8)

Written By: Nostalgic on 04/25/11 at 5:22 am

I like Burning Up, and the accompanying video.

I think Burning Up was rereleased in 1984 in Australia - after Holiday - where it reached the top 10.

Written By: Howard on 04/25/11 at 6:38 am

I like the video,I think it's pretty hot when the car with the guy tried to almost run her over and then Madonna does some sexy poses in the street like flip her hair,almost pull her top off and move her body too.

Written By: wsmith4 on 04/25/11 at 9:32 am

Uhhh, "Everybody" didn't even chart on the Hot 100, but ok...

The 12" mix to Burning Up is fantastic,  I highly recommend everyone take a listen.  Im' sure it's on youtube.

Written By: whistledog on 04/25/11 at 12:25 pm

Both 'Everybody' and 'Burning Up' reached the Top 5 on the US Dance chart.  Though they did not enter the Hot 100 at all, they were still hits.

Written By: Howard on 04/25/11 at 12:39 pm

The 12" mix to Burning Up is fantastic,  I highly recommend everyone take a listen.  Im' sure it's on youtube.

Yes It Is.

Written By: Howard on 04/25/11 at 12:40 pm

Both 'Everybody' and 'Burning Up' reached the Top 5 on the US Dance chart.  Though they did not enter the Hot 100 at all, they were still hits.

That's until after 1983 did she become popular.

Written By: Louise1978 on 04/30/11 at 7:33 am

Thanks for posting.That's the first time I have ever seen that video.I was 5 back in 83.I wasn't watching music videos back then.The first Madonna video I remember is Material girl.I love the music videos of the 80's.It was a fun era.

Written By: Howard on 04/30/11 at 7:07 pm

Thanks for posting.That's the first time I have ever seen that video.I was 5 back in 83.I wasn't watching music videos back then.The first Madonna video I remember is Material girl.I love the music videos of the 80's.It was a fun era.

Material Girl was a glamourous video,I liked it.

Written By: Midas on 05/01/11 at 12:24 pm

Agreed.  I has it!

Check for new replies or respond here...