inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Superboy! - How did I miss this?

Written By: snozberries on 05/01/11 at 11:53 am

So...I have been spending the day correcting a grievous oversight on my part.... I have never seen the series Superboy.

Honestly I didn't I know about the show (don't know how I missed it apparently it was on the air for 4 yrs). I found out about it when I saw it was released on DVD a couple of years ago. I put it in my netflix que last year and finally got around to getting Disc One. 

Talk about your ultimate cheese fest (the only kind of cheese I enjoy)  this is soooooo 80's geek-tastic!

So far I have seen a kid fall in a recycleing pit filled with soda cans and they actually showed both Pepsi and Coke cans, Mountain Dew and Dr. Pepper (obviously this was before product placement became prevalent) .

So apparently Clark is at Metropolis U with Lana Lang, Perry White's son or nephew, and Lex Luthor. 
I have seen Abe Vigoda  and now Ray Walston as guest stars.

There's not much in the way of story (although I'm not really paying close attention to it)  there's an incident of the week type deal but no bad guy of the week like in Smallville (although, according to IMDB) Bizaro shows up in at least 8 eps, Metallo for 6 and Mr. Mxyzptlk for two eps... so that'll be interesting (assuming those eps are avail on DVD.

Compared to this Smallville (which I'm not a huge fan of for personal reasons) is a freaking amazing show. It's funny tho because the pilot (unless there's an unaired pilot out there) does nothing to set up the story of Superboy. The series opens with an emergency landing at an airport. Clark manages to sneak away and turn into Superboy and pull down the landing gear so the plane can land. Everyone watching had little reaction. A quick gasp and someone pointing "SUPERBOY"  which means they had all been introduced to him prior to the pilot. I'm a fan of origins. I want to know how the superhero is introduced to the community. This failed to that. I'm going to have to get thru the dvd set and see if there are extras  but for now I'm mildly amused and somewhat entertained.

Subject: Re: Superboy! - How did I miss this?

Written By: snozberries on 05/01/11 at 12:14 pm

Superboy just entered a military complex...apparently they've never heard of Superboy so we just the whole truth, justice and the american way speech! lol

I think I just found my origins episode... it's episode 5 on the disc. Ssuddenly, after 4 eps, Superboy appears and Lana and TJ White act like they've never seen him before... I wonder why the network just didn't air it as the traditional pilot...  ::) 

Written By: snozberries on 05/01/11 at 12:39 pm

Courtney Gains that dude who played Malaki in Children of the Corn is in ep 4 with Ray Walston  ;D 
Doug Barr (from the Fall Guy) is in ep 5
Leif Garrett is in ep 6  :o

Written By: whistledog on 05/01/11 at 4:27 pm

Season 1 is on DVD.  It is well worth the purchase

Written By: snozberries on 05/01/11 at 5:01 pm

Season 1 is on DVD.  It is well worth the purchase

I just finished disc one. Waiting on disc two to arrive.... it's pretty hilarious...

I'm rewatching ep 5  it is def. the pilot episode....lame they didn't air the eps in order.

Written By: whistledog on 05/01/11 at 6:29 pm

I just finished disc one. Waiting on disc two to arrive.... it's pretty hilarious...

I'm rewatching ep 5  it is def. the pilot episode....lame they didn't air the eps in order.

It was quite a funny show.  What's odd is that I don't think the producers had intended it to be as corny as it became.  It is one of those shows that ran for the average length of a TV show (4 seasons; 100 eps), but it's not well remembered.

Written By: snozberries on 05/01/11 at 6:51 pm

It was quite a funny show.  What's odd is that I don't think the producers had intended it to be as corny as it became.  It is one of those shows that ran for the average length of a TV show (4 seasons; 100 eps), but it's not well remembered.

I honestly had no knowledge of it...don't know how I missed it since I'm such a Superman fanatic but if I was aware of it that knowledge totally slipped my mind. and I can tell from the first 8 eps that I have never seen any of those eps ever...  I don't know...much as I love 80s tv I think I would've thought the show was cheesy even back then... the effects suck. and  um the writing is unintentionally  hilarious  but I am enjoying it... I'm just enjoying it for all the wrong reasons... it does make smallville look like shakespeare or the Citizen's Kane of TV shows.  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...