inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did polka-dot shirts become popular in the 80s?

Written By: 80sfan on 06/08/11 at 3:42 pm

I don't see them in the early 80s, that's all I know. ::)

Subject: Re: When did polka-dot shirts become popular in the 80s?

Written By: yelimsexa on 06/09/11 at 7:06 am

Looks like an "older than you think" case here- they've been around since the mid-19th century when the Polka dancing became popular, which makes this older than the telephone and the light bulb. I guess you could call this more "timeless" than anything else, even though overall polka dots were noticeably more common 20-25 years ago in terms of use. It probably mainted it's appeal through nostalgia and will definately be something that won't completely fade away. But polka dot shirts were pretty much popular generally in the late 1840s-1850s, then again in the 1880s-1900s, then again in pretty much from the mid-1920s through most of the rest of the 20th century.

Written By: nicole1977 on 06/12/11 at 3:15 pm

The polka dot style became popular in the late 80s, especially in black neighborhoods.  I always thought that men looked SO gay in polka dot clothing.  You have to blame Kwame for that.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/12/11 at 10:47 pm

The polka dot style became popular in the late 80s, especially in black neighborhoods.  I always thought that men looked SO gay in polka dot clothing.  You have to blame Kwame for that.

Yeah, I noticed that when I watch movies, music videos, and tv, there were no one with polka dot shirts from about 1980 to 1986. Then about '87, I noticed they're everywhere!! They were even popular in the early 90s, about up to about '93!

Written By: Howard on 06/13/11 at 6:37 am

you mean like during the rap era? ???

Written By: nicole1977 on 06/13/11 at 6:25 pm

you mean like during the rap era? ???

Yes.

Check for new replies or respond here...