inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does anybody remember The Great Muppet Caper?

Written By: nicole1977 on 06/12/11 at 3:20 pm

I rarely see people make a topic about this second Muppet movie.  The Great Muppet Caper was released 30 years ago in the summer of 1981.  I was 4 years old at the time.  I remember the glasses that McDonalds had of them, but I never saw the movie in theatres.  I only saw the movie a year after its theatrical release on HBO in 1982.  I love this movie.  I think that it's one of the best Muppet films. Miss Piggy did the best performance in this movie.  I like the way she whoop the female catburglars' asses.  So what do you think?

Subject: Re: Does anybody remember The Great Muppet Caper?

Written By: Dagwood on 06/12/11 at 6:54 pm

I don't remember the details, but I remember the movie.  I love to watch all the muppet movies.

Written By: Davester on 06/12/11 at 10:21 pm

Yea, we went to see it, probably more than once.  Like Dag, I can't remember the details...

Had all the glasses from mike & don's...

Written By: wildcard on 06/12/11 at 10:34 pm

love the Muppet movies I don't think I saw it when I was little, but some time later at home with my brothers.

Written By: Howard on 06/13/11 at 6:39 am

I remember seeing The Great Muppet Caper,I love watching all muppet films.

Written By: nicole1977 on 06/13/11 at 6:18 pm

I remember seeing The Great Muppet Caper,I love watching all muppet films.

Hurray, we have a winner!  ;D I didn't see it during its theatrical release in 1981, but I remember the glasses.  I was 4 in 1981, and I remember drinking orange juice out of them.  I saw it a year later in 1982 when I was 5 years old going to kindergarten.  I LOVE this movie, and the soundtrack is OFF THE CHAIN!!!!  I like that part when Miss Piggy had a fantasy, and she was swimming underwater.  I like that part when the Muppets was riding their bicycles.  How the hell did they do that?

Written By: snozberries on 06/13/11 at 6:58 pm

Yea, we went to see it, probably more than once.  Like Dag, I can't remember the details...

Had all the glasses from mike & don's...

Mike & Don's......is that how you say Mickey D's?  ;D

Written By: Davester on 06/14/11 at 1:13 am

Mike & Don's......is that how you say Mickey D's?  ;D

Just one way among a few...what an institution!  As big as the Catholic church..!

Written By: Howard on 06/14/11 at 6:16 am

Hurray, we have a winner!  ;D I didn't see it during its theatrical release in 1981, but I remember the glasses.  I was 4 in 1981, and I remember drinking orange juice out of them.  I saw it a year later in 1982 when I was 5 years old going to kindergarten.  I LOVE this movie, and the soundtrack is OFF THE CHAIN!!!!  I like that part when Miss Piggy had a fantasy, and she was swimming underwater.  I like that part when the Muppets was riding their bicycles.  How the hell did they do that?

There was also Muppets Take Manhattan.

Written By: nicole1977 on 06/14/11 at 5:49 pm

There was also Muppets Take Manhattan.
OH YEAH!!!!!! I LOOOOVE The Muppets Take Manhattan! I was 7 when it was released in theatres in 1984.  I saw it a year later in 1985 on HBO.  I so LOVE the wedding at the end.  It was so beautiful!  The first Muppet movie that I remember clearly and vaguely was The Great Muppet Caper, and then The Muppets Take Manhattan.  I was only 2 years old when The Muppet Movie was released in 1979.  I don't remember The Muppet Movie during its release back then.  I was too too young then.  I didn't see The Muppet Movie until I was 9 when it was on regular TV.  The Muppet Movie, The Great Muppet Caper, and The Muppets Take Manhattan were the best Muppet movies that they made. The Muppet Treasure Island and Muppets From Space were WACK, and it's too kiddiefied.  The Muppet movies in the late 70s and 80s were more mature.  The storylines were more mature.  The so-called Muppet movies that came out in the 90s were too childish and kiddiefied.  One thing about the Muppets is that in the late 1970s and the whole decade of the 1980s, it catered to EVERYBODY from adults to children.  Nowadays, ever since Disney bought the Muppets, it got too kiddiefied.  Today's Muppets are not catering to everybody like in the late 70s and 80s.  It only catered to children now.  The Muppets got too soft.  They're not the Muppets that you and I grew up on. When Jim Henson died in 1990, that's when the Muppets went downhill, real talk.  Most Generation Xers (1965-1980) grew up on the Muppets during their popularity.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/14/11 at 6:25 pm

Just one way among a few...what an institution!  As big as the Catholic church..!

Pope Scooter?
???

Written By: Howard on 06/14/11 at 7:34 pm

I also used to watch The Muppets Christmas Special.

Written By: wildcard on 06/14/11 at 10:17 pm

special? 

how about Carol  there goes Mr humbug there goes Mr Scrooge

Written By: Howard on 06/15/11 at 6:24 am

special?   

how about Carol   there goes Mr humbug there goes Mr Scrooge

I meant Christmas Carol,that was like from the late 70's early 80's.

Written By: nicole1977 on 06/15/11 at 5:35 pm

I meant Christmas Carol,that was like from the late 70's early 80's.

I remember seeing that in the early 80s.

Written By: Howard on 06/15/11 at 6:59 pm

I remember seeing that in the early 80s.

more like 1981.

Written By: nicole1977 on 06/15/11 at 8:38 pm

more like 1981.

I think I saw that when I was 4 in '81.  It's been 30 years.  It's been a long time since I saw it.

Written By: Doc Brown on 01/05/12 at 10:40 pm

As long as the Muppets are ruling the box office again, I can say that I remember TGMC rather fondly, just as much as do the original Muppet Movie. I still think the coolest song was either "Happiness Hotel" or "Night Life"(any number by The Electric Mayhem deserves special consideration.
Still, my favorite moment came when one of the lady thieves lifts the 'Baseball Diamond' from its red velvet catcher's mitt(anyone else notice that?), only to hear "Uh, 'scuse me, but I don't think that belongs to you!" from an upside-down Fozzie Bear, and the entire Muppet crew(sans you-know-who!) basically dive-bombs the burglars from the roof!

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Check for new replies or respond here...