inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: HOLLYWOOD, STOP MESSING UP OUR CHILDHOOD!!!!

Written By: nicole1977 on 06/25/11 at 8:44 pm

I just want to make a topic about how Hollywood has jacked up our childhood in the 80s by remaking movies that's based off of 80s cartoons and TV shows.  I was on YouTube, and I saw the trailer of The Smurfs' movie, and I was SOOOOO pissed off for the simple fact that Hollywood has messed up another 80s classic again!  First they messed up Alvin and The Chipmunks, GI Joe, Inspector Gadget, Garfield, Nightmare Of Elm Street, etc. and now they are remaking the Smurfs, and making them 3D.  WTF?????  I'm tired of Hollywood raping our childhood.  Here's a video that I made about this situation.  This is going too damn far.  Hollywood is not creative and innovative anymore when it comes to children's movies  Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWja69z2zJM

Subject: Re: HOLLYWOOD, STOP MESSING UP OUR CHILDHOOD!!!!

Written By: Zeb on 06/25/11 at 9:45 pm

Dear Nicole; 

I agree 100%.  All of those cartoons you mentioned were viewing staples for me on weekend and weekday mornings when I was a small child too.  I don't see why Hollywood has to make movies from cartoons that the 5-12 age group of today are far too young to even relate to.  I would like you to know that those of us born in the early to mid eighties like me are in this fight with you.

Regards:
Zeb

Written By: 80sfan on 06/25/11 at 10:51 pm

How about....

HOLLYWOOD, MAKE BETTER MOVIES!!

LOL.

Written By: nicole1977 on 06/25/11 at 11:48 pm

How about....

LOL.

I don't think that they are going to do that. Instead of being creative and make their own children's movies that's original like Toy Story, Shrek, Aladdin, etc, they want to raise the dead by taking old cartoons from the 80s and try to make it 3D to appeal to these kids that were'nt even around when the Smurfs came out. I was actually THERE when the Smurfs ran the 80s.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/26/11 at 12:13 am

I don't think that they are going to do that. Instead of being creative and make their own children's movies that's original like Toy Story, Shrek, Aladdin, etc, they want to raise the dead by taking old cartoons from the 80s and try to make it 3D to appeal to these kids that were'nt even around when the Smurfs came out. I was actually THERE when the Smurfs ran the 80s.

Hollywood is sooooo da*n lazy!

Written By: Louise1978 on 06/26/11 at 12:17 am

This sucks.I am a child of the 80's also and I loved the Smurf's.I wish Hollywood would become more original and stop remaking everything.I am so glad I was a child during the 80's when everything was original and not recycled crap that the kids get given now.

Written By: nicole1977 on 06/26/11 at 2:51 am

This sucks.I am a child of the 80's also and I loved the Smurf's.I wish Hollywood would become more original and stop remaking everything.I am so glad I was a child during the 80's when everything was original and not recycled crap that the kids get given now.

I know.  I mean, I was born in 1977, and the 80s was my WHOLE childhood from 3 years old in 1980 to 12 years old in 1989, and the Smurfs, Alvin and The Chipmunks, Jem, Rainbow Brite, Thundercats, He-Man, She-Ra, Monchichi, Mr. T, Inspector Gadget, GI Joe, Transformers, etc dominated my childhood, and when I see Hollywood recycling all of the stuff that we grew up on in the 80s, it pisses me off!!!! Why can't they make their own stuff?  Why can't they make a movie based on cartoons and TV shows of this generation?  Why do they have to dig into our sheesh?

Written By: Howard on 06/26/11 at 6:28 am

I know I agree Nicole,They make remakes of cartoons from our childhood into films but then winds up being garbage just like remakes of our childhood television shows,leave the classics alone! >:( ::)

Written By: Howard on 06/26/11 at 6:29 am

How about....

LOL.

Or just leave the classics alone!

Written By: nicole1977 on 06/26/11 at 10:18 am

I know I agree Nicole,They make remakes of cartoons from our childhood into films but then winds up being garbage just like remakes of our childhood television shows,leave the classics alone! >:( ::)

I know.  Why don't they make movies based on TODAY'S STUFF?  Why do they have to go backwards to the 80s, and take what's ours and remake it, and then it turn into crap.  I'm sick of Hollywood messing up our childhood.

Written By: Howard on 06/26/11 at 12:52 pm

I know.  Why don't they make movies based on TODAY'S STUFF?  Why do they have to go backwards to the 80s, and take what's ours and remake it, and then it turn into crap.  I'm sick of Hollywood messing up our childhood.

Whatever stays in the past should stay in the past.

Written By: karen on 06/26/11 at 2:48 pm

think about who is making the films and tv shows.  People who grew up in the 80s are making shows about the programmes they watched and loved as children!

Written By: nicole1977 on 06/26/11 at 4:10 pm

think about who is making the films and tv shows.  People who grew up in the 80s are making shows about the programmes they watched and loved as children!

I don't think that they will jack up something that they grew up on in the 80s.  Are you talking about documentaries of these 80s cartoons or movies based on 80s cartoons?

Written By: nicole1977 on 06/26/11 at 4:12 pm

Whatever stays in the past should stay in the past.

EXACTLY!  I think that it will be best if today's kids watch the RERUNS of 80s cartoons instead of giving them a second-hand remake of 80s classics.  Like you said, whatever is in the past should STAY THERE!!!!!

Written By: snozberries on 06/26/11 at 5:04 pm

thank you karen I was just about to post the same thing....  The people making these movies  are the people who want to recapture their childhood but instead of staying true to it they want to make it bigger and bolder because of all the advances in technology they can.

Written By: snozberries on 06/26/11 at 5:07 pm

I don't think that they will jack up something that they grew up on in the 80s.  Are you talking about documentaries of these 80s cartoons or movies based on 80s cartoons?

karen is talking about what you are talking about nicole.  The people with power in hollywood right now are the people who grew up on the 80s shows you loved.... they loved them too and still do but they also love the power they have to reinvent the stuff that influenced them. In their minds they are not ruining the memory just updating it.... otherwise ya'll can just watch DVDs of the old stuff --- 

Written By: Howard on 06/27/11 at 6:37 am

EXACTLY!  I think that it will be best if today's kids watch the RERUNS of 80s cartoons instead of giving them a second-hand remake of 80s classics.  Like you said, whatever is in the past should STAY THERE!!!!!

and they had the nerve to remake Electric Company,children's television show I used to watch growing up and the new version sucked,nothing beats the old funky disco sound of the 70's.

Written By: nicole1977 on 06/27/11 at 11:47 am

and they had the nerve to remake Electric Company,children's television show I used to watch growing up and the new version sucked,nothing beats the old funky disco sound of the 70's.

Are you serious?  They remade Electric Company? To you the truth while you was watching Electric Company in the late 70s, I was a toddler in the late 70s learning how to walk.  I don't remember the 70s at ALL.  The earliest memory that I had as a child was in the early 80s when I was a preschooler.  Was Electric Company still on in the early 80s?

Written By: nicole1977 on 06/27/11 at 11:54 am

karen is talking about what you are talking about nicole.  The people with power in hollywood right now are the people who grew up on the 80s shows you loved.... they loved them too and still do but they also love the power they have to reinvent the stuff that influenced them. In their minds they are not ruining the memory just updating it.... otherwise ya'll can just watch DVDs of the old stuff --- 

Why are directors who grew up in the 80s as children want to ruin their own childhood by updating stuff that they grew up on?  To me, that's suicide.  I guess that they are doing it for the money and not caring about protecting what's theirs.  You only have ONE childhood in your lifetime.  Why ruin it by updating it?  Whatever's in the past should STAY in the past.

Written By: snozberries on 06/27/11 at 12:17 pm

Are you serious?  They remade Electric Company? To you the truth while you was watching Electric Company in the late 70s, I was a toddler in the late 70s learning how to walk.  I don't remember the 70s at ALL.  The earliest memory that I had as a child was in the early 80s when I was a preschooler.  Was Electric Company still on in the early 80s?

the electric company ran from 71 - 77.... what you saw were reruns those were on the air until about 85. 

Written By: nicole1977 on 06/27/11 at 12:19 pm

the electric company ran from 71 - 77.... what you saw were reruns those were on the air until about 85. 

OK, I figure that.  I was answering Howard because he said that he saw The Electric Company in the late 70s.

Written By: snozberries on 06/27/11 at 12:32 pm

Why are directors who grew up in the 80s as children want to ruin their own childhood by updating stuff that they grew up on?  To me, that's suicide.  I guess that they are doing it for the money and not caring about protecting what's theirs.  You only have ONE childhood in your lifetime.  Why ruin it by updating it? 

A) the directors are not making the movies....they are paid to make the movies. There are only a handful of directors in Hollywood with the power to generate their own films... the producers are the ones who get the movies made.

B) People in hollywood see things differently-....bigger and more effects translates to better in their world.  When they look at the old stuff they get that nostalgic feeling (probably) but also, having an eye for the changes that have occurred over the past 30 yrs they also see how dated and flat everything looks. They want to a) introduce the stuff to a new audience and b) take what they knew and see how it would look by today's standards----using today's technology.

If you think about it- if we had this technology back then the smurfs would look exactly like they do in the film its a fact.

Written By: snozberries on 06/27/11 at 12:41 pm

continuing this debate....

Whatever's in the past should STAY in the past.

if that were the case you would never have had the Chipmunks or the Smurfs to experience and have as "your own" when growing up.....

I can't find any original images but the Smurfs were first created in 1958 so they don't really belong to the 80s

and how about this......

The Evolution of The Chipmunks

1958-Sixties...
http://www.acartoonchristmas.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/chipmunks-christmas-back1.jpg http://thm-a04.yimg.com/nimage/a35302291149a2ee

http://www.acartoonchristmas.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/chipmunks-christmas-back2.jpg

The 80s
http://www.acartoonchristmas.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/chipmunks-christmas-2.jpg

http://www.king-sheep.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/alvin-the-chipmunks-80s-cartoon-version.jpg

Today....

http://i43.tower.com/images/mm113984821/alvin-chipmunks-squeakquel-original-soundtrack-cd-cover-art.jpg

Ross Bagdasarian, Sr. created the chipmunks in 1958.... his son... Ross Jr. still holds the rights to the Chipmunks and dude is still getting rich off of them.... so basically you're getting mad at the man who has always had the rights to the franchise for making money off of something that never belonged to your generation in the first place.

Written By: snozberries on 06/27/11 at 12:50 pm

OK, I figure that.  I was answering Howard because he said that he saw The Electric Company in the late 70s.

I know... and I answered you because you asked this question

Was Electric Company still on in the early 80s?

Written By: snozberries on 06/27/11 at 1:02 pm

continuing this debate....

if that were the case you would never have had the Chipmunks or the Smurfs to experience and have as "your own" when growing up.....

I can't find any original images but the Smurfs were first created in 1958 so they don't really belong to the 80s

I did just find this image....

http://www.sfgate.com/blogs/images/sfgate/sfmoms/2009/09/02/smurfs-peyo.jpg

Written By: Howard on 06/27/11 at 7:05 pm

Electric Company ran from 1971-1977(8) Then it went into repeats in the mid 80's then it came back on television in 2003 till it was finally cancelled.But then in 2009 it was brought back to PBS Channel 13.

http://donnadestefano.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/ec_logo_800_3588-790517.jpg

Written By: Howard on 06/27/11 at 7:05 pm

Why are directors who grew up in the 80s as children want to ruin their own childhood by updating stuff that they grew up on?  To me, that's suicide.  I guess that they are doing it for the money and not caring about protecting what's theirs.  You only have ONE childhood in your lifetime.  Why ruin it by updating it?  Whatever's in the past should STAY in the past.

Cause it's not gonna be as watchable as it once was.

Written By: Howard on 06/27/11 at 7:10 pm

I was a little kid but I remember watching it on Channel 13 in 1977.

Written By: nicole1977 on 06/28/11 at 2:09 am

I was a little kid but I remember watching it on Channel 13 in 1977.

You are a prime example of what I'm talking about.  You were 3 years old in 1977, and you remember watching Electric Company.  I was just born in 1977.  You remember the late 70s more than I do.  I was born too late in the 70s to remember it.  I can tell you about the early 80s, though. In the early 80s when I was a very small child, I remember watching the Muppet Show when it was still on air in 1980, and I was 3 years old at the time.  The show was off the air when I was 4 in 1981.  In the early 80s, Kermit and Miss Piggy reigned supreme.  They were VERY popular, especially Miss Piggy.  I remember when she had her own television special in 1982.  I was 5.  I remember the Miss Piggy dolls, lunch boxes, stickers, coloring books and sheesh.  I remember when the music that came out in the early 80s still sounded like leftover disco songs.  I remember in 1980 when EVERYBODY was blasting either"Celebration" by Kool and The Gang or "Upside Down" by Diana Ross.

Written By: Howard on 06/28/11 at 6:34 am

You are a prime example of what I'm talking about.  You were 3 years old in 1977, and you remember watching Electric Company.  I was just born in 1977.  You remember the late 70s more than I do.  I was born too late in the 70s to remember it.  I can tell you about the early 80s, though. In the early 80s when I was a very small child, I remember watching the Muppet Show when it was still on air in 1980, and I was 3 years old at the time.  The show was off the air when I was 4 in 1981.  In the early 80s, Kermit and Miss Piggy reigned supreme.  They were VERY popular, especially Miss Piggy.  I remember when she had her own television special in 1982.  I was 5.  I remember the Miss Piggy dolls, lunch boxes, stickers, coloring books and sheesh.  I remember when the music that came out in the early 80s still sounded like leftover disco songs.  I remember in 1980 when EVERYBODY was blasting either"Celebration" by Kool and The Gang or "Upside Down" by Diana Ross.

I don't remember much but I think I remember what was on Channel 13 that year. Do you remember Villa Alegre? ???

Written By: Howard on 06/28/11 at 6:35 am

And whatever they do do not remake Mr.Rogers Neighborhood!

Written By: nicole1977 on 06/28/11 at 10:18 am

And whatever they do do not remake Mr.Rogers Neighborhood!

Or Sesame Street?  LMAO!

Written By: nicole1977 on 06/28/11 at 10:21 am

I don't remember much but I think I remember what was on Channel 13 that year. Do you remember Villa Alegre? ???

At least you REMEMBER the late 70s unlike myself who was only a baby in 1977 and a toddler in 1978 and 1979.  No, I don't remember Villa Alegre. 

Written By: lorac61469 on 06/28/11 at 10:35 am

Or Sesame Street?  LMAO!

What they need to do is stop showing the new episodes of Sesame Street and show the ones from the 70's.  The new ones suck!!  I loved S.S. when I was a kid but couldn't stand to watch it with my kids.  Actually, both my kids hated Sesame Street. :-\\  (they do like to watch the old ones on YouTube, though.)

Written By: nicole1977 on 06/28/11 at 10:46 am

What they need to do is stop showing the new episodes of Sesame Street and show the ones from the 70's.  The new ones suck!!  I loved S.S. when I was a kid but couldn't stand to watch it with my kids.  Actually, both my kids hated Sesame Street. :-\\  (they do like to watch the old ones on YouTube, though.)

I feel you.  Sesame Street is wack now.  Sesame Street in the 70s and 80s are better.  I used to watch Sesame Street a lot when I was 3,4,5,6 and 7 years old, and around that time, Sesame Street was better than the newer episodes.

Written By: Davester on 06/28/11 at 7:02 pm

Do you remember Villa Alegre? ???

I used to watch that..!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-38zuWpgB8

Written By: Howard on 06/28/11 at 7:14 pm

At least you REMEMBER the late 70s unlike myself who was only a baby in 1977 and a toddler in 1978 and 1979.  No, I don't remember Villa Alegre. 

Villa Alegre was a children's television show that taught kids Spanish,it ran from 1977-1981.

Written By: Howard on 06/28/11 at 7:15 pm

Or Sesame Street?  LMAO!

I don't even watch the new version of Sesame Street anymore,It's not the same as it once was back in the 80's.

Written By: Howard on 06/28/11 at 7:16 pm

Back in the days when you had Big Bird,Snuffy,Oscar The Grouch,Bert And Ernie and The Count.

Written By: Howard on 06/28/11 at 7:16 pm

I feel you.  Sesame Street is wack now.  Sesame Street in the 70s and 80s are better.  I used to watch Sesame Street a lot when I was 3,4,5,6 and 7 years old, and around that time, Sesame Street was better than the newer episodes.

and now they teach Elmo The internet! ::)

Written By: Howard on 06/28/11 at 7:19 pm

I used to watch that..!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-38zuWpgB8

Dave,for some strange reason I can't find the beginning opener to the show with the words lighting up from the 70's.

Written By: amber on 07/05/11 at 10:30 am

I was born in 1987 and was three years old in 1990. So I wasn't really a child of the eighties. That being said, I do remember alot of the 80's cartoons. I guess I watched them in reruns. Most shows cartoons or other wise are not as good today. Somewhere around the late 90's that started to happen. I guess when there started being so many tv channels. But even then the children's shows where ok. I wish I had been around in the 80's to watch the original of all these shows that I love. I watched strawberry shortcake, and all the ones you mentioned. I love them not like the kids shows today. I cant even stand most of them.

Maybe y'all can help me there was a cartoon I watched, not sure if it was a rerun or not. Care-bears comes to mind. That what I think of when I think of that show. It was like bears or something. Can't really remember much more about it.
Thinks for doing this. There are people out there that love the classics.     

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/06/11 at 12:01 am

I just want to make a topic about how Hollywood has jacked up our childhood in the 80s by remaking movies that's based off of 80s cartoons and TV shows.  I was on YouTube, and I saw the trailer of The Smurfs' movie, and I was SOOOOO pissed off for the simple fact that Hollywood has messed up another 80s classic again!  First they messed up Alvin and The Chipmunks, GI Joe, Inspector Gadget, Garfield, Nightmare Of Elm Street, etc. and now they are remaking the Smurfs, and making them 3D.  WTF?????  I'm tired of Hollywood raping our childhood.  Here's a video that I made about this situation.  This is going too damn far.  Hollywood is not creative and innovative anymore when it comes to children's movies  Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWja69z2zJM

I agree with you.  I mean where in the fudge did they get Katy Perry to play Smurfette or Hank Azaria to play Gargamel?

Written By: Howard on 07/06/11 at 6:38 am

I agree with you.  I mean where in the fudge did they get Katy Perry to play Smurfette or Hank Azaria to play Gargamel?

not a good choice.

Written By: nicole1977 on 07/06/11 at 10:31 am

I know.  I mean, really?  Do they have other cartoons from this generation to jack up?  Why do they have to jack up our sheesh?

Written By: Howard on 07/06/11 at 7:12 pm

I know.  I mean, really?  Do they have other cartoons from this generation to jack up?  Why do they have to jack up our sheesh?

If they have the money and the actors/actresses to play the parts,so be it.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/07/11 at 1:15 pm

Katy Perry in the Smurfs movie sort of ruined the whole idea of a Smurfs movie me.  :(

Written By: Howard on 07/07/11 at 1:42 pm

Katy Perry in the Smurfs movie sort of ruined the whole idea of a Smurfs movie me.  :(

She looks like Marge Simpson on a bad hair day. ::)

Written By: nicole1977 on 07/07/11 at 6:54 pm

She looks like Marge Simpson on a bad hair day. ::)

LMAO!  That's not right.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 07/08/11 at 6:42 am

LMAO!  That's not right.  ;D

I know it isn't,It's a stupid role,Smurfette did not have humongous hooters in 1982. ::)

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/08/11 at 3:46 pm

I know it isn't,It's a stupid role,Smurfette did not have humongous hooters in 1982. ::)

That's true too.  I don't know why they didn't stay true to the Smurfette character at all.  :(

Written By: Howard on 07/08/11 at 7:02 pm

That's true too.  I don't know why they didn't stay true to the Smurfette character at all.  :(

as usual they want to eff everything up. ::)

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/08/11 at 10:05 pm

as usual they want to eff everything up. ::)

Too true.  They took a lovely cartoon that was created by Hanna-Barbera and Peyo and they messed it up big time.  :( Not the kind of movie that I want to see.  :(

Written By: nicole1977 on 07/08/11 at 10:45 pm

Why are they trying to sexualize Smurfette?  I mean, the wind blowing up her dress?  WTF?

Written By: snozberries on 07/09/11 at 2:00 am

Why are they trying to sexualize Smurfette?  I mean, the wind blowing up her dress?  WTF?

It's a reference to Marilyn Monroe.

Smurfette has always been sexualized. Hello one girl among a hundred male surfs. Well 99 plus vanity.  :D
Where exactly did you think those baby snuffs came from in the last season  ;D

Written By: Howard on 07/09/11 at 6:36 am

Too true.  They took a lovely cartoon that was created by Hanna-Barbera and Peyo and they messed it up big time.  :( Not the kind of movie that I want to see.  :(

They think kids of today would be interested in something like Smurfs. Nobody knows who The Smurfs are except the kids of yesterday.

Written By: Howard on 07/09/11 at 6:38 am

Smurfette never had boobs,She talked girly but never had cleavage. ::)

Written By: snozberries on 07/09/11 at 9:52 am

Smurfette never had boobs,She talked girly but never had cleavage. ::)

she was still a sex pot...just an A cup sexpot. 

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/09/11 at 12:08 pm

No she wasn't.  Smurfette in the cartoon world was as flat as a board.  :(  But I was more concerned about the way 12 year old males are going to see Smurfette.  :(

Written By: snozberries on 07/09/11 at 3:46 pm

No she wasn't.  Smurfette in the cartoon world was as flat as a board.  :(  But I was more concerned about the way 12 year old males are going to see Smurfette.  :(

A cup....flat as a board.....same diff.

Written By: Dagwood on 07/09/11 at 5:58 pm

Saw the trailer today when we went to see Zookeeper.  It looks incredibly stupid but my daughter can't wait. 

Written By: Howard on 07/09/11 at 6:58 pm

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_tlEH12pN2DA/TK35iq-ve3I/AAAAAAAAAZY/cjuZS0i7xpY/s1600/smurfette.gif

The real Smurfette.

Written By: Howard on 07/09/11 at 6:59 pm

OMG 12 year old kids?  :o

Written By: Howard on 07/09/11 at 7:00 pm

Saw the trailer today when we went to see Zookeeper.  It looks incredibly stupid but my daughter can't wait. 

Eddie Murphy did Dr.Doolittle a couple years ago.

Written By: snozberries on 07/09/11 at 7:31 pm

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_tlEH12pN2DA/TK35iq-ve3I/AAAAAAAAAZY/cjuZS0i7xpY/s1600/smurfette.gif

The real Smurfette.

She totally looks like a smurfy ho in that pic.

Written By: Howard on 07/10/11 at 6:49 am

http://www.nextmovie.com/blog/upcoming-movie-remakes/

Written By: Dagwood on 07/10/11 at 8:22 am

Eddie Murphy did Dr.Doolittle a couple years ago.

Yeah, but Zookeeper is nothing like Dr Doolittle

Written By: danootaandme on 07/10/11 at 8:35 am

My fondest memories are incredibly stupid kids movies. 

Written By: Dagwood on 07/10/11 at 8:42 am

My fondest memories are incredibly stupid kids movies. 

I can't bring myself to go see it, though.  And it's not like I was a huge fan of the Smurfs back in the day either. 

Written By: danootaandme on 07/10/11 at 8:49 am

I can't bring myself to go see it, though.  And it's not like I was a huge fan of the Smurfs back in the day either. 

One of the reasons we had so much fun was because the parents didn't come with us. I wouldn't go see the Smurfs any more than my mother would have gone to 13 Ghosts.

Written By: snozberries on 07/10/11 at 9:25 am

One of the reasons we had so much fun was because the parents didn't come with us. I wouldn't go see the Smurfs any more than my mother would have gone to 13 Ghosts.

13 Ghosts  ;D 

yeah my parents were the same way I watched a lot of crap growing up. my mom would dump me at the movies in the am and pick me up in the late afternoon....  when we got HBO and I started watching that stuff at home she'd just walk in to see what I was laughing at and then walk out shaking her head  ;D

Written By: Howard on 07/10/11 at 1:48 pm

Yeah, but Zookeeper is nothing like Dr Doolittle

I agree but they do both talk to animals.

Written By: Dagwood on 07/10/11 at 2:33 pm

My mom used to drop me off and leave, too.  I loved that.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/10/11 at 4:25 pm

I tend to stay away from the movies that were based on Hanna Barbera cartoons.  If someone made a Gobots movie today the chances of my going to see it are slim and absolutely nill unless they could stay true to the G1 Gobots story lines.  :P

Written By: karen on 07/11/11 at 11:03 am

The real Smurfette.

Thanks for finding an image of Smurfette.  Elizabeth has a Smurf theme for some fancy dress thing at camp this summer.

Written By: snozberries on 07/11/11 at 4:22 pm

Thanks for finding an image of Smurfette.  Elizabeth has a Smurf theme for some fancy dress thing at camp this summer.

hmmmm a smurf theme?  so everyone else is painting themselves blue and wearing only pants?   ;)

I hope they are focusing more on the accessories of their particular strong trait -  and less on the costume it self

ie vanity carried a mirror, brainy had glasses, handy had a hammer, arty or crafty or whatever his name is had that paintbrush.

personally I think Miss E. should go as brainy - cuz she's smart....you could put her in a smurfy blue shirt, white pants and a hat...and glasses of course.... but then again brainy was annoying so maybe smurfette is a wiser choice.  :D

Written By: 2kidsami on 07/11/11 at 4:51 pm

Thanks for finding an image of Smurfette.  Elizabeth has a Smurf theme for some fancy dress thing at camp this summer.
A white pillowcase should do!

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/11/11 at 11:18 pm

And now for something completely different:

http://i.imgur.com/eA3lS.jpg

Space Invaders: The Movie.

Written By: Howard on 07/12/11 at 6:32 am

or maybe a small white bedsheet? ???

Written By: Howard on 07/12/11 at 6:33 am

And now for something completely different:

http://i.imgur.com/eA3lS.jpg

Space Invaders: The Movie.

What's next? Pac Man The Movie?  ::)

Written By: karen on 07/12/11 at 9:07 am

She also has to dress up for a prom night.  I'm hoping that it is prom night first then smurf night and I can make one white dress do for both costumes!

hmmmm a smurf theme?  so everyone else is painting themselves blue and wearing only pants?  ;)

I hope they are focusing more on the accessories of their particular strong trait -  and less on the costume it self

ie vanity carried a mirror, brainy had glasses, handy had a hammer, arty or crafty or whatever his name is had that paintbrush.

personally I think Miss E. should go as brainy - cuz she's smart....you could put her in a smurfy blue shirt, white pants and a hat...and glasses of course.... but then again brainy was annoying so maybe smurfette is a wiser choice.  :D

I hadn't thought of all the different characters.  tbh my main knowledge of smurfs is from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oofM5ttD6c

Written By: wildcard on 07/12/11 at 1:36 pm

Yeah What is the name of that smurf with the paintbrush?  Oh painter                    http://www.timelesstrinkets.com/Smurfs/CollectorPages/Characters.html

Written By: snozberries on 07/12/11 at 3:00 pm

Yeah What is the name of that smurf with the paintbrush?  Oh painter                    http://www.timelesstrinkets.com/Smurfs/CollectorPages/Characters.html

Not a whole lot of thought went into those smurf names. Actually they're fairly superficial when you think about it like the surfs entire identity is tied up in the one dominant trait they have. There's no effort to try to get to know the surfs on a deeper level.  You are what you do nothing more nothing less. It's  judgmental and its a horrible message to send to kids.

Written By: wildcard on 07/12/11 at 4:31 pm

Yeah I just was sure that smurfs name didn't have a y.  Not many smurfs that didn't have a y at the end or no name.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 07/12/11 at 5:06 pm

It is not just 80s cartoons that they turn into movies:

Rocky & Bullwinkle
George Of The Jungle
The Flintstones
Scooby Doo

And don't get me started about non-cartoons.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 07/12/11 at 7:23 pm

She also has to dress up for a prom night.  I'm hoping that it is prom night first then smurf night and I can make one white dress do for both costumes!
I hadn't thought of all the different characters.  tbh my main knowledge of smurfs is from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oofM5ttD6c

I thought the smurf song had "La La La la La La" in it? ???

Written By: Howard on 07/12/11 at 7:24 pm

It is not just 80s cartoons that they turn into movies:

Rocky & Bullwinkle
George Of The Jungle
The Flintstones
Scooby Doo

And don't get me started about non-cartoons.

Cat

I pretty much saw 3 out of the 4 remakes.

Written By: snozberries on 07/12/11 at 9:14 pm

TNT is bringing Dallas back  ::)

Written By: snozberries on 07/13/11 at 12:54 am

sorry there wasn't a better version of this on youtube....you can always google it if you wanna see it in HQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDqNCg4hvG8

Written By: Howard on 07/13/11 at 6:19 am

TNT is bringing Dallas back  ::)

and the original cast is back.

Written By: Howard on 07/13/11 at 6:21 am

sorry there wasn't a better version of this on youtube....you can always google it if you wanna see it in HQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDqNCg4hvG8

OMG Is that a fat Smurfette?  :o ;D

Written By: karen on 07/13/11 at 9:59 am

I thought the smurf song had "La La La la La La" in it? ???

Did you listen to the whole song?

Written By: snozberries on 07/13/11 at 11:12 am

OMG Is that a fat Smurfette?  :o ;D

It's smurfette. If smurfette were Anna Nicole smith smurf. It aired on SNL back when Anna Nicole was still alive and had a reality show

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/13/11 at 11:39 am

It's smurfette. If smurfette were Anna Nicole smith smurf. It aired on SNL back when Anna Nicole was still alive and had a reality show

Also if she dressed like a street walker.  :)  But even that's better than some of the crap that they've got going on right now.  Even if it is prenaturally adult.  :)

Written By: Howard on 07/13/11 at 7:22 pm

I'm thinking of the theme that was on tv.

Written By: Howard on 07/13/11 at 7:23 pm

I thought her reality show was not great.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/13/11 at 8:34 pm

No...please...anything but that...I'll talk...I'll tell you anything!!!
:o

Written By: wildcard on 07/13/11 at 11:05 pm

I have a Witch Doctor David Seville parody and a few days ago I thought I'd look for a midi that might be okay to use.  Sure if you want the new sh--. 

Written By: 80sfan on 07/18/11 at 4:19 am

I heard they are going to remake Footloose! Oh no!  :-\\ ;D

Written By: Howard on 07/18/11 at 6:13 am

I heard they are going to remake Footloose! Oh no!   :-\\ ;D

Is it gonna star Kevin Bacon? ???

Written By: 80sfan on 07/18/11 at 1:14 pm

Is it gonna star Kevin Bacon? ???

Doubt it.

Written By: Howard on 07/18/11 at 1:40 pm

Doubt it.

Kevin Bacon is a film director now.

Check for new replies or respond here...