inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Maniac (1980 film)

Written By: Ryan112390 on 08/13/11 at 9:49 pm

Anyone else here love the film, Maniac? It was written by and stars Joe Spinell--He was in a lot of great 70s films such as the Godfather I and II, Taxi Driver, The Seven Ups, Rocky I and II. It's a great, gritty slasher horror film from the dawn of the '80s and the protagonist is the serial killer--I'd think that's rare in horror films, since most of the time the serial killer is the antagonist (think Jason, Freddie Krueger, Chuckie, etc)

Subject: Re: Maniac (1980 film)

Written By: Tia on 08/17/11 at 11:33 am

isn't that one of the first movies to have tom savini do the makeup effects? there's a surprisingly forward-looking slasher movie called "deranged" from 1974 that had the killer as the protagonist. (although of course that goes back at least as far as "in cold blood," but that's not really a slasher.)

Subject: Re: Maniac (1980 film)

Written By: moycon on 08/21/11 at 9:46 pm

I remember this film.
Dark and sleazy. After viewing the flick you'd likely want to go take a shower!
I enjoyed his flick The Last Horror Film (AKA Fanatic) much more.
Sure it was a pretty implausible movie (Like Caroline Munros character would have given Joe Spinells character the time of day!?? LOL I think not) but had a much better plot line than Maniac.
Both are essential viewing if you enjoy 80's splatter films.

Check for new replies or respond here...