inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are the '80s becoming associated with senior citizens?

Written By: m83 on 08/26/11 at 8:58 pm

Do you think they are slipping from being the 'parents' time to being the 'grandparents/seniors' time? Think about it, the beginning of 1980 is as close to Spring of 1948 as it is to now! A 60 year old of today, born in 1951, was in his late 20s when the 80s began and his late 30s when they ended - the 1980s would be a part of what he meant when he would yab on about the "old days" to the younger generation.

A 40 year old of today - generally considered middle aged and perhaps even a bit on the older side, when you consider the average Western person is about 35 to 40 years of age, was only 8 or 9 in 1980 and thus would have an incomplete picture of the '80s. They might even feel more fondness for the '90s when they were in their 20s.

The Cold War brings up memories of deep history, as it happened "right after World War 2". The 80s was the end of the Cold War, but is probably more associated with the term than any other decade. The fall of the Berlin Wall/Soviet Union was the end of an era that began in the 1910s.

Even an 80 year old of today was only in his 50s generally in the '80s, older already, but still young enough to be active and working and even into pop culture a little bit (not that an 80 year old even can't be, but it's far less common).

Do you think the '80s are starting to lose nostalgic interest because fewer and fewer young people can remember them as time goes on? Really you would have to be at least 45 to have a complete picture of the 80s now, so it's not totally unfair to say they are in the same camp as the 1940s, 1950s, 60s now, is it?

Subject: Re: Are the '80s becoming associated with senior citizens?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/26/11 at 10:23 pm

I dunno...it's starting to feel that way!
;D

Written By: moycon on 08/26/11 at 10:37 pm

I don't think it's happened yet.
I think the 60's are more associated with senior citizens than the 80's.
Of course I guess a younger persons opinion, like say a 20 year old would be a better one than mine.
I grew up in the 80's and am now 40.

Written By: Brian06 on 08/26/11 at 10:49 pm

I don't think so, like say 55-64 year olds (not quite seniors but older adults) were still young people in the '80s so they might still enjoy the '80s too, but if you're talking who grew up in the '80s it would mainly be like 40 somethings.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/26/11 at 11:19 pm

I don't associate the 80s with my grandparents. They were born in the 20s and 30s.

Written By: Howard on 08/27/11 at 6:43 am

I think the 1950's are associated with the senior citizens,A lot of them grew up in that era.

Written By: joeman on 08/27/11 at 9:33 am

A 40 year old of today - generally considered middle aged and perhaps even a bit on the older side, when you consider the average Western person is about 35 to 40 years of age, was only 8 or 9 in 1980 and thus would have an incomplete picture of the '80s. They might even feel more fondness for the '90s when they were in their 20s.

I remember in the 90s the media hyped up Generation X as 20 somethings claiming the 90s as their decade as opposed to the 60s/70s.  I am not sure if they felt that in general or it was a marketing ploy to sell people flannel...alt music..etc..

Written By: 80sfan on 08/27/11 at 11:01 am

The 80s? Not yet. The 60s? Yes! The 70s? It's somewhere in between. ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/27/11 at 11:43 am

Senior citizen is a common polite designation for an elderly person in both UK and US English, and it implies or means that the person is retired. This in turn implies or in fact means that the person is over the retirement age, which varies according to country. Synonyms include pensioner in UK English and retiree and senior in US English. Some dictionaries describe widespread usage of "senior citizen" for people over the age of 65."Senior citizen" is replacing the term old-age pensioner traditionally used in UK English.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/27/11 at 11:44 am

btw, what is AARP?

Written By: Bobby on 08/27/11 at 11:56 am

When I think of 'senior citizens' I, like Philip Eno, think of people at retirement age which is about 60-65? To be over 60 now, the person must have been around 30 in 1980? The decade hasn't got too long to go before it gets to 'senior citizen' status but it's a little while yet.

Written By: karen on 08/27/11 at 11:59 am

btw, what is AARP?

guessing that it is American Association of Retired Persons

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/27/11 at 11:59 am

When I think of 'senior citizens' I, like Philip Eno, think of people at retirement age which is about 60-65? To be over 60 now, the person must have been around 30 in 1980? The decade hasn't got too long to go before it gets to 'senior citizen' status but it's a little while yet.
There again, the age for retirement is on the up.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/27/11 at 12:00 pm

No wonder I have not heard it, it is American based.

Written By: karen on 08/27/11 at 12:50 pm

No wonder I have not heard it, it is American based.

I was wrong.  It's the Association for the Advancement of Retired Persons.  It's US-based, a bit like SAGA I guess

http://www.aarp.org/

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/27/11 at 12:52 pm

I was wrong.  It's the Association for the Advancement of Retired Persons.  It's US-based, a bit like SAGA I guess

Many thanks, and we all know the acronym for SAGA  ;)

Written By: Howard on 08/27/11 at 12:53 pm

The 80s? Not yet. The 60s? Yes! The 70s? It's somewhere in between. ;D

The 70's are more from Generation X.

Written By: Howard on 08/27/11 at 12:57 pm

American Association Of Retired People but you got it right Karen.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/27/11 at 1:01 pm

btw, what is AARP?

Are there two Associations with with acronym?

Written By: Howard on 08/27/11 at 1:06 pm

Are there two Associations with with acronym?

I'm not sure.

Written By: King Tut on 08/28/11 at 12:38 am

I remember all the 1980s and the 1970s, I ain't no senior citizen.

You can be 40 years old and still recall the 1980s very well.

Written By: Howard on 08/28/11 at 6:17 am

I remember all the 1980s and the 1970s, I ain't no senior citizen.

Would the late 30's (like me) count? ???

Written By: King Tut on 08/28/11 at 11:29 am

Would the late 30's (like me) count? ???

I'm unsure of your question. Count for what? If you are in your late 30s, then you are not a senior citizen. Not sure if that's what your question was.

Written By: Howard on 08/28/11 at 1:58 pm

I'm unsure of your question. Count for what? If you are in your late 30s, then you are not a senior citizen. Not sure if that's what your question was.

I was just saying that I'm still in my prime.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 08/28/11 at 2:14 pm

No Howard, karen got it the second time, Association for the Advancement of Retired People.  You can join at age 60 (as I recall.)  It's a privet (not governmental) organization that charges membership fees every year.  They send you a magazine with articles geared towards retired people, and also employ lobbyists to push issues/benefits that benefit older people from the government.  I think alot of people just join because they give you a membership card that offers discounts at retail places like hotels and such.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/28/11 at 2:17 pm

No Howard, karen got it the second time, Association for the Advancement of Retired People.  You can join at age 60 (as I recall.)  It's a privet (not governmental) organization that charges membership fees every year.  They send you a magazine with articles geared towards retired people, and also employ lobbyists to push issues/benefits that benefit older people from the government.  I think alot of people just join because they give you a membership card that offers discounts at retail places like hotels and such.
It sounds like SAGA just as Karen said above.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 08/28/11 at 2:24 pm

It sounds like SAGA just as Karen said above.

I'd not heard of SAGA until you and karen mentioned it.  :)

Written By: King Tut on 08/28/11 at 4:14 pm

I was just saying that I'm still in my prime.

I guess you still are, late 30s.

Written By: Dagwood on 08/28/11 at 6:48 pm

Um, no.  I am 40 and associate heavily with the 80's.  No where near a senior citizen

Exactly.  I turned 9 in 1970 and 18 in 1989.  I remember the 80s very well.

Written By: Howard on 08/29/11 at 6:37 am

I guess you still are, late 30s.

and very soon I could have my mid-life crisis.

Written By: Dagwood on 08/29/11 at 7:03 am

Howard, you don't have to have a mid life crisis.  It's not required as part of life.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/29/11 at 7:05 am

Howard, you don't have to have a mid life crisis.  It's not required as part of life.
How can you have a mid life crisis, when it is not known how old you will be when you die and divide it by two?

Written By: King Tut on 08/29/11 at 12:44 pm

I have a midwife crisis. I don't know which one my daughter should use.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/29/11 at 2:01 pm

;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/29/11 at 5:10 pm

I turned "legal" & retired in the '80s and even though I may be retired, I am FAR from being a senior citizen.

BTW, I did retire at the ripe old age of 26 so that doesn't mean anything.

Cat

Written By: Dagwood on 08/29/11 at 8:18 pm

Not a crisis.  That should be her choice. ;)

Written By: karen on 08/30/11 at 11:05 am

the one with the warm hands

Written By: Bobby on 09/09/11 at 4:34 pm

the one with the warm hands

Ha ha.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 09/09/11 at 7:23 pm

If you are in your 80's then you are a senior citizen.

Written By: GenXer on 02/07/12 at 12:50 am

Do you think they are slipping from being the 'parents' time to being the 'grandparents/seniors' time? Think about it, the beginning of 1980 is as close to Spring of 1948 as it is to now! A 60 year old of today, born in 1951, was in his late 20s when the 80s began and his late 30s when they ended - the 1980s would be a part of what he meant when he would yab on about the "old days" to the younger generation.

The Cold War brings up memories of deep history, as it happened "right after World War 2". The 80s was the end of the Cold War, but is probably more associated with the term than any other decade. The fall of the Berlin Wall/Soviet Union was the end of an era that began in the 1910s.

Even an 80 year old of today was only in his 50s generally in the '80s, older already, but still young enough to be active and working and even into pop culture a little bit (not that an 80 year old even can't be, but it's far less common).

Do you think the '80s are starting to lose nostalgic interest because fewer and fewer young people can remember them as time goes on? Really you would have to be at least 45 to have a complete picture of the 80s now, so it's not totally unfair to say they are in the same camp as the 1940s, 1950s, 60s now, is it?

Hmmm...I was 8 when 1980 rolled around. I remember my everyday life back then even as far back when I was 4-5 years old in the mid-1970s. How could I not? Those were fun days!!!

Written By: Howard on 02/07/12 at 6:29 am

Why would the 80's be associated with senior citizens?  ???

I don't get it.  ::)

Written By: yelimsexa on 02/08/12 at 6:55 am

If you start hearing '80s music and styles being used in Senior Citzen ads, such as nursing home commercials and senior expos, or people associated with the '80s on a magazine such as AARP, then take that as a sign. Last time I checked, I heard '50s-style rock n' roll music used in a Senior Expo commercial. If you want to go to a concert full of senior citizens, go to something like a doo-wop concert (I was the youngest and the next oldest was like 20 years older than me). Generally, it is the older actors first who get the treatment, followed by the athletes, younger actors, and musicians. The final stage is when senior citizens are playing the TOYS, video games, or watching cartoons from the '80s, since they were the youngest demographic to enjoy this slice of '80s culture. I'd say the '80s being with senior citizens are in its infancy, and only for some of the deep matters of that era, such as the politics and culture aimed at an older audience (30-50 somethings at the time). Senior citizen culture for the time being still focuses on the '50s and '60s, with the WWII era past its peak but still lingering and the '70s showing some definite steps, such as soft rock songs like Barry Manilow, Billy Joel, and Elton John targeted at 50-and 60-somethings. One final sign is when some items from an era are described as "antique", and not "vintage". This is currently the case with the '50s, a lesser degree with the '60s and an even smaller degree with the '70s. Cars up to 1987 in many places now qualify as "antique", but many prefer vintage since the often poor, boxy '80s design pales in comparison with those made in the earlier decades.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/08/12 at 9:15 am

It all comes down to your definition of "senior citizen." According to Social Security-that is someone who is 65 years or older. People who are 65 now are the early Baby Boomers and were in their 40s in the '80s. Most of them probably relate more to the music that were popular in the '60s & '70s. Most of the senior citizens today are of earlier generations and probably didn't listen to popular music of the '80s.

Cat

Written By: 1986baby on 02/12/12 at 5:32 am

That discussion is kind of rediculous. Let 1948 be as far away from 1980 as 1980 is from today. Those late-40's-born-people may sound old today but they weren't considered 'old' in the early 80's... come on, they were in their 30's...

Written By: Howard on 02/12/12 at 6:21 am

That discussion is kind of rediculous. Let 1948 be as far away from 1980 as 1980 is from today. Those late-40's-born-people may sound old today but they weren't considered 'old' in the early 80's... come on, they were in their 30's...

The 1980's were the Generation X era.

Written By: 1986baby on 02/12/12 at 7:18 am

The 1980's were the Generation X era.

Yes, but senior citizens are in their 30's?

Written By: Howard on 02/12/12 at 7:45 am

I'm close to 40 and I'm not even a senior citizen.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/12/12 at 7:48 am

In the UK Senior citizens are those that are over 65 years old.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 03/20/12 at 5:48 am

I think some people are missing the central point here. There's some truth on both sides, but people (particularly more youthful and fun people) can still casually like the pop culture into their 20s/30s and even 40s or beyond sometimes. I think we just get pickier about what we like as we get older. ;)

Just as a parallel, I'm 30 and I hate the autotune kiddie pop/rap garbage like Lil Wayne, Nicki Minaj and Bieber, but I still like the good or more old school early 2010s music like Foster The People, Adele, Kings Of Leon or any indie rock band that has an 80s influence. To a lesser extent I like Bruno Mars and Katy as well. I'm still a fan of today's pop culture (even if at times I may sound or even feel like I'm not), I'm just more selective. Its the same deal in every generation with adults I'd say.

My mom was born in 1954 (i.e. part of the 60s/70s generation) and LOVED the 80s music to death when it was going on. Not just on the radio, but buying tapes at the mall and actually still being a part of the pop culture, despite being 30-35ish. That's how I grew up with so much of it.

For a better example though: my dad is now 74 and born in 1938. He likes alot of the mellower or more classic rockish 80s music, such as Dire Straits, Christopher Cross, Tears For Fears, Stevie Wonder and The Police. Now he'd think the rap or something kiddie like New Kids On The Block was noise he couldn't relate to, but he likes the more mature stuff. See what I mean?

So yes on that level, today's younger old people (i.e. 65-75) may have casually liked some 80s pop culture at the time. Although no, seniors are still very far from the central demographic that 80s stuff is marketed towards. Both sides are somewhat correct imo. :)

Check for new replies or respond here...