inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Need to know the song of an 80s beer commercial, HELP!!!

Written By: JigJaw on 09/15/11 at 1:04 pm

Hi, everybody! I know somebody has to know this. Do any of you remember a beer commercial from like around 1986-1987, with this guy throwing a baseball around (I think he wanted to be a pitcher or was a pitcher), and something like a country song playing
"I got a dream, I got a dream and it comes from the heart of the heartland....When I want a test, I'm going to reach for the best, I got it all here in my hand, where ever i go I want to let 'em know I come from the heart of the heartland."

If anybody knows which company that was and more importantly, the name of the song and artist, I would so greatly appreciate it!!

Thanks,
Jason

Subject: Re: Need to know the song of an 80s beer commercial, HELP!!!

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/17/11 at 9:31 pm

The beer you're after would be Heileman Old Style, and the jingle dates back to 1988.  Heileman went down as a result of a failed leveraged buyout, and after a series of brand/asset transfers, the name is owned by (and the beer brewed by) Pabst.

Although I can't find a copy of Heileman Old Style's "From the Heart of the Heartland" commercial, I can throw a little pop culture into the mix:  Once upon a time, the BoDeans were offered $250K to sing it, but turned it down.

Written By: moycon on 09/17/11 at 10:01 pm

Good job Foo Bar! I read this thread but had no clue what beer it was.
I drank more soft drinks in the 80's than beer. The fact I was in grade school explains that.  8)

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/17/11 at 11:07 pm

Good job Foo Bar! I read this thread but had no clue what beer it was.
I drank more soft drinks in the 80's than beer. The fact I was in grade school explains that.  8)

So did I, except it was high school.  I'm making up for it, I promise!

Written By: JigJaw on 09/18/11 at 11:53 am

So did I, except it was high school.  I'm making up for it, I promise!

Awesome! Thank you soooo much! I too, was only 12 when the commercial came so had to drink more soft drinks, but have more than made up for lost time.  ;D

Again, thanks!

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/20/11 at 8:18 pm

Awesome! Thank you soooo much! I too, was only 12 when the commercial came so had to drink more soft drinks, but have more than made up for lost time.  ;D

Again, thanks!

Glad to help!  But we're not done yet, because we still haven't found the actual song!

So bookmark this thread - a while from now (days, weeks, months, maybe years), someone will have upped the commercials to YouTube either as commercials, and someone else will stumble across this thread.  (It might even be you!)  

For instance, now that we know what late 80s beer commercial we're looking for, finding old commercials for it is a little easier:

gPmx4JHobXM

You might want to comment on this posting of a Heilemann's Old Style ad or some of the other similar classic beer commercials.  There are plenty of beer geeks and advertising creatives out there who should be able to fill in the remaining blanks.  

Check for new replies or respond here...