inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: LP records

Written By: moycon on 10/12/11 at 9:37 pm

As a kid growing up in the 80's, there were cassette tapes around but I also had a lot of albums on vinyl.
I liked the LP records myself, mainly because the art work was a lot bigger, and at that time albums sometimes included extras, like posters and lyric sheets etc...
Flash forward to now. I still had all the records I owned as a kid in my garage. Last year on my birthday I went to an antique store and bought an old stereo system with a record player. Cleaned up the records (man I didn't take very good care of some of them!) And had a good old time listening to old favorites.

Iron Maiden
Black Sabbath
Misfits
Souxie and the Banshees
The Breakfast Club soundtrack
Return of the Living Dead soundtrack

Since then I've bought many used records from antique shops and used book stores and even some new records from Best Buy!
Anyways, was just curious if anyone else still had their old records from the 80's? What records do you still have?

Subject: Re: LP records

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/12/11 at 9:44 pm

Well, jeez, a had hundreds.  I gradually replaced all the vinyl I had on CD.  What I couldn't replace on CD I burned onto CD-R in the early '00s.  I sometimes miss my vinyl collection, but it's for the better.  I don't have the space to store them and it keeps me from spending money in used record shops!

Written By: gibbo on 10/12/11 at 9:57 pm

I only have a few 70's albums left (all replaced by CD's). The Eagles (Hotel California), America's (History), Doobies (Listen To the Music), Carole King's (Tapestry). I do still have two singles ....  Status Quo's - Down, Down (which was a hit in Australia) as well as Sweet's - Fox On the Run.

I still have (and play) some 80's CD's ... for example, The Eurythmics (Be Mine Tonight), Springsteen's (Born In the USA), Dire Straits (Money for Nothing), Dan Fogelberg's (Innocent Age), Jackson's (Thriller)....

Written By: Howard on 10/13/11 at 6:46 am

My Father has a whole collection of vinyls downstairs in our basement,I miss the crackling sound everytime you put on the record,those were good times.

To buy an LP you'd have to go to a vintage record shop who are willing to buy or sell records for cheap.

Written By: moycon on 10/13/11 at 12:20 pm

To buy an LP you'd have to go to a vintage record shop who are willing to buy or sell records for cheap.

Actually you can buy them brand new off Amazon and also at Best Buys. They aren't all that cheap though. The pawn shops, flea markets and antique stores have them for a lot less.
I usually pay around $3 to $5 for a used record. It really is fun having a retro night and breaking a couple LPs out.

Written By: Howard on 10/13/11 at 12:47 pm

Actually you can buy them brand new off Amazon and also at Best Buys. They aren't all that cheap though. The pawn shops, flea markets and antique stores have them for a lot less.
I usually pay around $3 to $5 for a used record. It really is fun having a retro night and breaking a couple LPs out.

I always liked the smell of the vinyl cover when pulling the record out to play.

Written By: King Tut on 10/13/11 at 12:53 pm

I always liked the smell of the vinyl cover when pulling the record out to play.

It smells like victory.

Written By: whistledog on 10/13/11 at 4:57 pm

I mostly have 45s and 12" singles.  I probably got over 1000 45s and about 300 12" singles, all with picture sleeves

Written By: lorac61469 on 10/13/11 at 5:17 pm

Sadly I don't have any of my old records.  I should call my dad and see if he kept them. 

I enjoyed all the Christmas albums.  I remember my dad having a copy of Whipped Cream and Other Delights by Herb Alpert... I was totally shocked as a kid that my dad has this record...nit because of the music but because of the cover art.  ;D 

Written By: King Tut on 10/13/11 at 7:23 pm

I have kept some, my brother may have some of mine somewhere (??). I got rid of the rest of them during the 1990s, when I transferred over to CDs for good. My mom still may have a few early 70s albums that my brothers or I just didn't listen to anymore.  (mom is a pac rat, keeps everything), and she has her album collection ( Bing Crosby, Dean Martin and Sinatra)

I remember my dad having a copy of Whipped Cream and Other Delights by Herb Alpert... I was totally shocked as a kid that my dad has this record...nit because of the music but because of the cover art.  ;D 

My mom has that one.

Written By: moycon on 10/13/11 at 10:17 pm

This forum inspired me to buy an album from the 80's for the next 80's night we have.
I snagged Doctor Detroit soundtrack off eBay for like $7.00.
It has a couple good songs on it (Devo does the main theme) , but for the most part I thought it was pretty lame.

Written By: Henk on 10/14/11 at 5:53 am

I still have my albums (and 7"s for that matter) from the 1980s as well as from other eras. Why get rid of it?  8)

I don't have a lot of albums, though (mainly Depeche Mode), and I can't play any of them because my record player broke down. :(

Written By: Howard on 10/14/11 at 6:30 am

I mostly have 45s and 12" singles.  I probably got over 1000 45s and about 300 12" singles, all with picture sleeves

My Father has a shelf full of old 45's and vinyls,He hasn't played them in many years.

Written By: karen on 10/14/11 at 8:55 am

Still have all of our vinyl.  And the turntable still works.

I was playing a compilation album called Formula 30 just last weekend.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/14/11 at 2:16 pm

I have my vinyl from the '70s & '80s. I think I even have some from the '60s. The ones that were well listened to (and probably full of scratches & skips), I have replaced on CD-but still kept the old vinyl. There are plenty that I haven't be able to find on CD. I wanted to transfer those to CD using my computer so I bought myself a turntable (that is sitting right next to me as I am typing this) but I haven't been able to find a good program to use for it. The one program that I used, made the music sound like crap! So that project has been put on hold-which is just as well because I have so many other projects in the works.

Cat

Written By: AmericanGirl on 10/14/11 at 2:47 pm

Yes I still have vinyl - mostly 70's and 80's - I won't part with my vinyl!  Maybe about 1000 albums total, plus four shoeboxes full of 45s.  I also have a working turntable.

A few of my albums:
- Joe Jackson - Night and Day
- Men At Work - Business As Usual
- Lionel Ritchie - Can't Slow Down
- Duran Duran - Seven and The Ragged Tiger
- Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms
- War - Outlaw
- Genesis - Genesis ("Stars" album)
- The Fixx - Reach The Beach/Phantoms
- Michael Jackson - Thriller/Bad
- Billy Joel - An Innocent Man
- Pretenders - Learning To Crawl
- Police - Ghost In The Machine/Sychronicity
- Prince - 1999/Purple Rain
- Culture Club - Kissing To Be Clever

8)

Written By: Howard on 10/14/11 at 7:23 pm

Still have all of our vinyl.  And the turntable still works.

I was playing a compilation album called Formula 30 just last weekend.

Our turntable still works just not as good as it used to be.

Written By: Howard on 10/15/11 at 7:16 pm

I hope one day My Father transfers his old vinyls into CDs one day,just too many records to count.

Written By: yelimsexa on 10/17/11 at 7:05 am

I have a 1963 jukebox which means I have mostly 45s (over 17,000 different titles, and almost every Billboard #1 hit from 1955 to 1989, missing only two). I have around 700 LPs as well and have a newer turntable that also plays cassettes and CDs, but given the space and lack of jukebox use, I don't have as many. I try to avoid country and second-rate easy listenting artists such as Eddy Arnold, Al Martino, and John Gary due to lack of value. Best of all, I average only around 15 cents per 45 and around 75 cents per LP through some eBay deals. I find the doo wop, early rock, punk, and rare soul records the hardest to get cheap. I also find that some LPs in the '80s skip not due to wear, but due to unsupportable bass dynamics (Prince's Lovesexy is a good example).

In terms of my yearly distribution, most of my 45s are from the mid-1960s to mid-1980s, where I have at least 400 different 45s every year from 1963 to 1987, with 1966-1969 and 1978-1980 all with at least 500 different 45's. I have over 1500 picture sleeves, 90% of those from the '80s. I even have some classical 45s, a couple hundred Christmas 45s, some from the big band era, and even over 1,000 45s from the 1990s, including at least one from the "grunge trinity": Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Soundgarden. It's sorry that we've surrendered to digital technology as we won't enjoy music from the 1990s (and especially 2000s) onwards in jukeboxes.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 04/01/12 at 4:57 am

Even though I was born into the early stages of CD technology I still listened to lots of vinyl records in the early 90's since my parents had a record player and their records in the living room as it was normal. My sister who is 8 years older, had lots of kid's records from the late 70's and early 80's, too and that's basically stuff that's part of my earlier childhood. I always knew, that LPs and 7" are older technology, but it was always not too ancient to me - considering some records dated like '87. How could it be ancient when it was released just a year after I was born? That's basically how you think as a kid.

I hate it when some people point at people my age and say something like: "You can't even know what records are", or "Look, that's what we had when we were young, you know what that's called?"...

Written By: Howard on 04/01/12 at 6:33 am

I miss the times of listening to old LP records and vinyls, back in the early 80's those days were good.

Written By: moycon on 04/01/12 at 7:25 pm

We were listening to some vinyl yesterday while playing some game on the Xbox 360.
Talk about mixing old tech with new tech!! WOOT!!!

Written By: lady of the 80s on 04/01/12 at 9:51 pm

I have lots of vinyl that I had when I was a kid and I have a lot of cassettes, too.  The cassettes have not aged as well and some I had to toss because they no longer play.

The first new LP I ever got was Men At Work's Business As Usual.  I remember being fascinated by the inner sleeve with all the photos and lyrics.  I had previously only had records from the '60s which had plain inner sleeves.  The inner sleeve of my Men At Work LP was wrinkled.  It must have been shoved into the sleeve by the machine or whatever.  I've since got an upgrade Business As Usual with a non-wrinkled inner sleeve, but could not part with the one I had as a kid because it was my first LP I got new.  So I have two Business As Usuals.

I've since added a lot to my vinyl selection, but these are the LPs I had from back in the '80s, most still with their cellophane, because I would slice them open from the side so I could keep the plastic on.  Some of them I got from the Columbia Record Club.

AC/DC Highway To Hell (I got from a friend who lived across the street)
Bryan Adams Cuts Like A Knife and Reckless
Dave Clark Five (lots of records I got used as a kid--I'm not quite that old)
Phil Collins Face Value, Hello, I Must Be Going, No Jacket Required
Dio Dream Evil
Duran Duran Duran Duran, Rio, Seven And The Ragged Tiger
Foreigner Agent Provocateur
Genesis (lots of records--I was a HUGE fan of them)
J. Geils Band Freeze Frame
Hall & Oates Rock 'n' Soul Part 1
Heart Heart
Iron Maiden (lots of records--I was a HUGE fan in the late '80s)
Jethro Tull (lots of records bought used--HUGE fan in the late '80s, early '90s)
Joan Jett and the Blackhearts I Love rock 'n' Roll
Judas Priest (lots of records)
KISS (lots of records I got used)
Men At Work Business As Usual, Cargo, Two Hearts
Mike + The Mechanics Mike + The Mechanics, Living Years
Monkees (lots of records I got used--I was a HUGE fan in the early '80s)
Alan Parsons Project Ammonia Avenue (turned out to be my all-time favorite LP--didn't know that at the time)
Police Synchronicity
Pretenders Learning To Crawl
Power Station The Power Station
Paul Revere & The Raiders Spirit of '67 (got used)
Romantics In Heat, Strictly Personal, The Romantics (didn't care for the music much but had huge crush on singer)
Rick Springfield Living In Oz, Success Hasn't Spoiled Me Yet
Sting The Dream of the Blue Turtles
Tears For Fear Songs From The Big Chair
Tina Turner Private Dancer
Van Halen 1984
Yes 90125, Big Generator
ZZ Top Eliminator

I've got a lot of 45s that I've had since I was a kid, too.

Written By: lady of the 80s on 04/01/12 at 10:00 pm

Sadly I don't have any of my old records.  I should call my dad and see if he kept them. 

I enjoyed all the Christmas albums.  I remember my dad having a copy of Whipped Cream and Other Delights by Herb Alpert... I was totally shocked as a kid that my dad has this record...nit because of the music but because of the cover art.  ;D

My grandmother had Herb Alpert records (including that one).  Every time I visited, I played them, but my favorite was What Now My Love because it had the song "Magic Trumpet."  Looking at my vinyl collection, I see I have two copies of Whipped Cream... and I have no idea why.

Written By: moycon on 04/02/12 at 3:58 am

I need to make a list of all the vinyl I have.
The range of genres I have represented is pretty funny.
I even have a record of a Morman group made up of females who who dress as and sing ancient american indian songs.

Written By: Howard on 04/02/12 at 6:25 am

We were listening to some vinyl yesterday while playing some game on the Xbox 360.
Talk about mixing old tech with new tech!! WOOT!!!

Wow that's way cool.

Written By: Howard on 04/02/12 at 6:26 am

What do you do with all the vinyl you've collected? Do you give it away?  ???

Written By: karen on 04/02/12 at 10:54 am

What do you do with all the vinyl you've collected? Do you give it away?  ???

Listen to it

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/07/12 at 1:01 pm

I have lots of vinyl that I had when I was a kid and I have a lot of cassettes, too.  The cassettes have not aged as well and some I had to toss because they no longer play.

The first new LP I ever got was Men At Work's Business As Usual.  I remember being fascinated by the inner sleeve with all the photos and lyrics.  I had previously only had records from the '60s which had plain inner sleeves.  The inner sleeve of my Men At Work LP was wrinkled.  It must have been shoved into the sleeve by the machine or whatever.  I've since got an upgrade Business As Usual with a non-wrinkled inner sleeve, but could not part with the one I had as a kid because it was my first LP I got new.  So I have two Business As Usuals.

I've since added a lot to my vinyl selection, but these are the LPs I had from back in the '80s, most still with their cellophane, because I would slice them open from the side so I could keep the plastic on.  Some of them I got from the Columbia Record Club.

AC/DC Highway To Hell (I got from a friend who lived across the street)
Bryan Adams Cuts Like A Knife and Reckless
Dave Clark Five (lots of records I got used as a kid--I'm not quite that old)
Phil Collins Face Value, Hello, I Must Be Going, No Jacket Required
Dio Dream Evil
Duran Duran Duran Duran, Rio, Seven And The Ragged Tiger
Foreigner Agent Provocateur
Genesis (lots of records--I was a HUGE fan of them)
J. Geils Band Freeze Frame
Hall & Oates Rock 'n' Soul Part 1
Heart Heart
Iron Maiden (lots of records--I was a HUGE fan in the late '80s)
Jethro Tull (lots of records bought used--HUGE fan in the late '80s, early '90s)
Joan Jett and the Blackhearts I Love rock 'n' Roll
Judas Priest (lots of records)
KISS (lots of records I got used)
Men At Work Business As Usual, Cargo, Two Hearts
Mike + The Mechanics Mike + The Mechanics, Living Years
Monkees (lots of records I got used--I was a HUGE fan in the early '80s)
Alan Parsons Project Ammonia Avenue (turned out to be my all-time favorite LP--didn't know that at the time)
Police Synchronicity
Pretenders Learning To Crawl
Power Station The Power Station
Paul Revere & The Raiders Spirit of '67 (got used)
Romantics In Heat, Strictly Personal, The Romantics (didn't care for the music much but had huge crush on singer)
Rick Springfield Living In Oz, Success Hasn't Spoiled Me Yet
Sting The Dream of the Blue Turtles
Tears For Fear Songs From The Big Chair
Tina Turner Private Dancer
Van Halen 1984
Yes 90125, Big Generator
ZZ Top Eliminator

I've got a lot of 45s that I've had since I was a kid, too.

I used to belong to Columbia House as well as RCA record club. I preferred RCA to Columbia House because you didn't have to send that stupid card in every month and if you didn't send it in, you got some record you didn't want. Finally in the 2000s, Columbia House did away with that card thingy which is why I joined them (but by then I was buying CDs). I managed to get freebies from both by having others joined.

Cat

Written By: lady of the 80s on 04/07/12 at 8:01 pm

I used to belong to Columbia House as well as RCA record club. I preferred RCA to Columbia House because you didn't have to send that stupid card in every month and if you didn't send it in, you got some record you didn't want. Finally in the 2000s, Columbia House did away with that card thingy which is why I joined them (but by then I was buying CDs). I managed to get freebies from both by having others joined.

Cat

Yeah, I remember forgetting to send in the card one time and I got Journey's Raised On Radio which I didn't really want.  I belonged to the RCA club too for a short time, but I only got cassettes through them.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/08/12 at 2:17 am

I used to have a few records up until my first marriage when my frst husband threw out a bunch of my stuff. 
I think maybe I might have a few records at my parents still.  I think The Police Syncronicity, Abba (couple albums from the 70s), and maybe the soundtrack to Grease.  ;D 

My (second and final) hubby and I bought a record player/CD player/Radio/Cassette player from some office supply store for about a hundred bucks, never really used it for records though.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/08/12 at 11:44 am

I used to have a few records up until my first marriage when my frst husband threw out a bunch of my stuff. 
I think maybe I might have a few records at my parents still.  I think The Police Syncronicity, Abba (couple albums from the 70s), and maybe the soundtrack to Grease.  ;D 

My (second and final) hubby and I bought a record player/CD player/Radio/Cassette player from some office supply store for about a hundred bucks, never really used it for records though.

You had a first husband that did that too? My first husband threw out a bunch of books of mine. "She doesn't need these." Pissed me off royally and from that point on, he learned not to TOUCH MY THINGS!!!!  >:( >:( >:( >:(

Cat

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/08/12 at 10:44 pm

I used to belong to Columbia House

Now we're talking retro.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5175/5584822951_3c4ee67be7_o.jpg

(ad dates from back when 8-tracks were the most convenient way to represent the club's offerings!). 

Columbia House closed on July 29, 2011.  At its peak in 1993, it made up 15% of all CD sales and took in half a billion dollars a year.  But there was a dark side to it:

"In many ways, though, the real victim of the clubs wasn't the consumer, but the recording artist. As record clubs' popularity mushroomed, the introductory incentive deals became more and more important to the success of the whole system. Since these incentive records were considered "giveaways" by both the clubs and the labels, artists were not paid royalties on them. Additionally, artists' royalties on even normal record-club purchases were typically far below the industry standard. The artists' financial losses became more noticeable in the CD era: for one, record clubs began to account for huge percentages of overall sales of certain blockbuster albums. On top of that, the cost of manufacturing a compact disc dropped to a fraction of what it had previously been to create vinyl."

Here's the whole story.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/08/12 at 11:10 pm

You had a first husband that did that too? My first husband threw out a bunch of books of mine. "She doesn't need these." Pissed me off royally and from that point on, he learned not to TOUCH MY THINGS!!!!  >:( >:( >:( >:(

Cat

My ex-husband was of the mind that anything of mine was trash and allowed to be thrown out but his stuff was made of gold and had to be polished and waxed (he freakin' waxed his damn computer chair)  ::)  And in his words, I was supposed to take care of his stuff or we'd never have anything nice.  ??? ::)  Well you take your damn nice stuff and *you* pay for the storage locker out of your non-existant paycheck and don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.  >:( ;D  Sorry, off on a little tangent there.
Your thread shall now be returned to it's original topic after this tone.  *beep*  ;)

Written By: moycon on 04/08/12 at 11:22 pm

I had joined the record and tape club when I was a teenager. Still have my Iron Maiden Live Evil double LP album from that club! Haven't listened to it in years. I need to break it out soon and give it a listen. Find out if I used to take care of my LPs when I was a kid! LOL

Written By: Howard on 04/09/12 at 6:30 am

Now we're talking retro.

(ad dates from back when 8-tracks were the most convenient way to represent the club's offerings!). 

Columbia House closed on July 29, 2011.  At its peak in 1993, it made up 15% of all CD sales and took in half a billion dollars a year.  But there was a dark side to it:

"In many ways, though, the real victim of the clubs wasn't the consumer, but the recording artist. As record clubs' popularity mushroomed, the introductory incentive deals became more and more important to the success of the whole system. Since these incentive records were considered "giveaways" by both the clubs and the labels, artists were not paid royalties on them. Additionally, artists' royalties on even normal record-club purchases were typically far below the industry standard. The artists' financial losses became more noticeable in the CD era: for one, record clubs began to account for huge percentages of overall sales of certain blockbuster albums. On top of that, the cost of manufacturing a compact disc dropped to a fraction of what it had previously been to create vinyl."

Here's the whole story.

Wow I remember when Columbia House had those articles.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/09/12 at 11:30 am

Now we're talking retro.

Here's the whole story.

That ad just triggered a memory. My mother had a membership to C.H, & she used to buy 8-tracks. I know she still has a bunch of them and who knows if they will play or not because she no longer has a player. (Or does she?  ??? ) Somehow I doubt they will play because they were in a case and some how soda spilled in the case and...well, you can guess.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/09/12 at 11:31 am

My ex-husband was of the mind that anything of mine was trash and allowed to be thrown out but his stuff was made of gold and had to be polished and waxed (he freakin' waxed his damn computer chair)  ::)  And in his words, I was supposed to take care of his stuff or we'd never have anything nice.  ??? ::)  Well you take your damn nice stuff and *you* pay for the storage locker out of your non-existant paycheck and don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.  >:( ;D  Sorry, off on a little tangent there.
Your thread shall now be returned to it's original topic after this tone.  *beep*  ;)

Man, I think we were married to the same guy. Mine used to Armor-All his steering wheel in his car.

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/09/12 at 10:56 pm

Man, I think we were married to the same guy. Mine used to Armor-All his steering wheel in his car.

Cat

Computer chairs and steering wheels are very important to a man.  Youz women never understand us!
>:(

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/09/12 at 11:09 pm

Computer chairs and steering wheels are very important to a man.  Youz women never understand us!

Apparently.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 04/10/12 at 6:26 am

and don't forget the porn!  ;)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 04/10/12 at 9:33 pm

and don't forget the porn!  ;)

I may be wrong, but I don't think any woman is gonna want to polish your porn either.  ;) ;D

Written By: Howard on 04/11/12 at 6:40 am

I may be wrong, but I don't think any woman is gonna want to polish your porn either.  ;) ;D

nope, no porn should ever be polished.  ;)

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/12/12 at 1:19 am

If it was important, he wouldn't have used Armor-All on it.  :)

I can't tell you who made the clothes I wear to work every day, but I know damn well what goes onto my tires, my dashboard, my window glass, and my car seats, and Armor-All ain't it.  A man's gotta have priorities in life, y'know.  There's a lotta good detailing products out there, but Armor-All, IMO, ain't one of them.  Slings when applied to tires, reacts poorly with some dashboard plastics, no benefit on (aniline or topcoated) leather.  Keep silicone-based products off the leather, folks.

Back to the 8-track stuff.  You know how foam padding (in everything your car seats, to your 8-track tapes, to your equiment cases) can sometimes disintegrate?  Well, the good news for owners of 8-track tapes is that you can make your own, which should give you another 30 years to rip the audio to MP3.

Written By: Howard on 04/12/12 at 6:36 am

How much can you get for an LP record today? ???

Written By: yelimsexa on 04/12/12 at 7:48 am

It depends, but 98% of them will be in the 25 cents to 2 dollar range for the following reasons:

-The vast majority are best sellers and thus common
-Certain genres (country, easy listening, certain types of jazz, classical) are in weak demand and unpopular.
-Most are not mint, and even some that are still in that condition tend to be in the genres above, and many Rock LPs are considerably worn
-Vinyl tends to eat up space in storage, so there's little reason to buy in bulk unless you have a large storage era, so the "best" records tend to be focused

The other 2%, such as Doo Wop, 50's/60's R&B/Blues/Soul, the Beatles, Punk, Psy, an other "underground and radical" genres are what's basically left, with a few exceptions, but even the rarest Lawrence Welk record will often sell for less than the most common Beatles LP, simply due to lack of demand.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 04/12/12 at 8:18 am

I'd check on eBay.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/12/12 at 3:05 pm

It all depends on the precise album or band.

Written By: Radar on 04/12/12 at 4:35 pm

I have received as much as $10 for an album (An old rare 60s album I owned), and $0 for others. It depends on the artist and the album and how rare it is.

Written By: Howard on 04/12/12 at 7:14 pm

It depends, but 98% of them will be in the 25 cents to 2 dollar range for the following reasons:

-The vast majority are best sellers and thus common
-Certain genres (country, easy listening, certain types of jazz, classical) are in weak demand and unpopular.
-Most are not mint, and even some that are still in that condition tend to be in the genres above, and many Rock LPs are considerably worn
-Vinyl tends to eat up space in storage, so there's little reason to buy in bulk unless you have a large storage era, so the "best" records tend to be focused

The other 2%, such as Doo Wop, 50's/60's R&B/Blues/Soul, the Beatles, Punk, Psy, an other "underground and radical" genres are what's basically left, with a few exceptions, but even the rarest Lawrence Welk record will often sell for less than the most common Beatles LP, simply due to lack of demand.

and some record covers might have that smell of decay too so you have to think about that as well.

Check for new replies or respond here...