inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Card collecting in the 80's

Written By: moycon on 12/09/11 at 2:27 pm

Recently I was going through an old box of cards I've had from when I was a kid.
I have a box full of cards mainly Wacky Packages, Star Wars and suprisingly enough. E.T. cards! (I don't recall being that into E.T. but boy I have a bunch of those cards) I was also into the video game cards like Pac-Man and Donkey Kong where you scatched off a video game playing field and added up the points. I remember really liking those.
I also had a few packs of other pretty weird cards like Crazy Lables (A Wacky Packages rip-off), Dukes of Hazzard, Jaws, Raiders of the Lost Ark, even Mork and Mindy!
Checking on eBay I see back in the 80's they had a lot more cards I don't even remember like Cindi Lauper cards!!?

Was curious to see if anyone on the forums ever collected cards, and if so, do you still have any of them?

Subject: Re: Card collecting in the 80's

Written By: snozberries on 12/09/11 at 5:24 pm

I have a set of Charlie's angels cards (70s)
Mickey mouse cards
One life to live & all my children
Terminator
Lois & Clark (I know that's 90s)
New kids on the block
MTV cards
And a butt load of basket Ball cards  I love collecting basket ball cards

Written By: Howard on 12/09/11 at 7:01 pm

still have my Cabbage Patch Kids from 1986
Michael Jackson
ALF from 1987

Written By: robby76 on 12/09/11 at 7:49 pm

I remember getting into the Garbage Pail Kids craze. Looking back they were pretty gruesome.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 12/21/11 at 3:30 pm

I have New Kids On The Block cards, music cards and 90210 cards.  :)

Written By: Howard on 12/21/11 at 7:28 pm

I have New Kids On The Block cards, music cards and 90210 cards.  :)

How old are they?

Written By: moycon on 12/22/11 at 11:16 am

I bought 8 unopened wax packs of Tron cards from 1981 last week. Felt like a kid again opening them up and sorting my cards!

Written By: Howard on 12/22/11 at 1:21 pm

I bought 8 unopened wax packs of Tron cards from 1981 last week. Felt like a kid again opening them up and sorting my cards!

Wow 1981 and they were unopened? Did the cards have that vintage smell?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/23/11 at 11:53 am

I have a set of Charlie's angels cards (70s)
Mickey mouse cards
One life to live & all my children
Terminator
Lois & Clark (I know that's 90s)
New kids on the block
MTV cards
And a butt load of basket Ball cards  I love collecting basket ball cards

There were One Life to Live cards?  :o :o :o

I had a few Partridge Family cards from the '70s. I think I had managed to salvage one or two-but not many.

I also had a lot of Wacky Packages from the '70s. Didn't manage to salvage any of those-which is too bad. They are probably worth a fortune now.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 12/23/11 at 12:05 pm

I had a few Partridge Family cards from the '70s. I think I had managed to salvage one or two-but not many.

I also had a lot of Wacky Packages from the '70s. Didn't manage to salvage any of those-which is too bad. They are probably worth a fortune now.

Cat

I have to double check my collection... I'm certain about the AMC cards but only mildly sure about the OLTL cards... I just seem to remember having a trading card of Kate Saunders in her wedding dress.....when she was going to marry Cord but Tina screwed the pooch on that one.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/23/11 at 12:26 pm

I have to double check my collection... I'm certain about the AMC cards but only mildly sure about the OLTL cards... I just seem to remember having a trading card of Kate Saunders in her wedding dress.....when she was going to marry Cord but Tina screwed the pooch on that one.

I remember that ep. That was AFTER Tina fell over the falls-and survived!  :o :o :o :o

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 12/23/11 at 1:41 pm

I remember that ep. That was AFTER Tina fell over the falls-and survived!  :o :o :o :o

Cat

with Baby Milagro en tow!!!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/23/11 at 2:29 pm

with Baby Milagro en tow!!!!

Yup-which turned out to be Max & Gabriella's baby-Danny. C.J. was found alive later.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 12/23/11 at 2:31 pm

Yup-which turned out to be Max & Gabriella's baby-Danny. C.J. was found alive later.

Cat

Yup!  Lovely stroll down memory lane!  ;)

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/23/11 at 2:49 pm

Yup!  Lovely stroll down memory lane!  ;)

I'm sure everyone else is going, "HUH?"  :D :D

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 12/23/11 at 3:21 pm

I'm sure everyone else is going, "HUH?"   :D :D

Cat

pity for them! lol

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/23/11 at 3:38 pm

pity for them! lol

Yup-we highjacked this thread.  :D :D

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 12/23/11 at 4:01 pm

Yup-we highjacked this thread.  :D :D

Cat

http://gal.patheticcockroach.com/var/albums/humor/thread-hijacking/ThreadHijack-Car.jpg?m=1282899290

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/23/11 at 6:15 pm

http://gal.patheticcockroach.com/var/albums/humor/thread-hijacking/ThreadHijack-Car.jpg?m=1282899290

:D :D :D

Cat

Written By: Howard on 12/23/11 at 7:02 pm

Cat

Wacky Packages didn't come out in the 70's, they came out in 1985. ???

Written By: Howard on 12/23/11 at 7:05 pm

http://cache1.bigcartel.com/product_images/174083/300.jpg

I still have my Michael Jackson collectors cards from 1984.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/23/11 at 7:08 pm

Wacky Packages didn't come out in the 70's, they came out in 1985. ???

Wrong. They actually first came out in the '60s but I didn't discover them until the '70s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wacky_Packages

Cat

Written By: Howard on 12/23/11 at 7:45 pm

Wrong. They actually first came out in the '60s but I didn't discover them until the '70s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wacky_Packages

Cat

I started collecting mine in 1986.

Written By: Foo Bar on 12/23/11 at 8:48 pm

I'm sure everyone else is going, "HUH?"   :D :D

You Know You're Old When...

Once upon a time, there were no rules on the backs of the trading cards that hinted anything about a particular card's value, nor were there any rules by which we could turn the process into a game of skill and strategy.  The object of the game was still to "catch 'em all", but back in the day, we had to negotiate our hard bargains in the playground by spelling out the terms, one card, one quarter, one shiny penny, one stick of gum at a time.  I remember my days in the trading pits.  We couldn't afford fancy sandboxes, so we had shallow pits dug into the playground dirt and filled with sand!  And that's where we learned to haggle, what contract law meant, and although nobody got as far as inventing compound interest, we did manage to invent escrow.

Uphill, both ways!

And ya tell 'em this, and they go "HUH?"

Written By: moycon on 12/23/11 at 11:30 pm

Most cards I see at like Target and Wal Mart these days are sports cards, but back in the 80's everything had a card.
I recently bought full sets of Jaws 3D and The Black Hole cards. I keep finding these crazy sets of cards from way back when.
Next up on the list...Three's Company and Dallas cards!! LOL Do a search on eBay and you'll be amazed.

Written By: Howard on 12/24/11 at 6:16 am

http://cache1.bigcartel.com/product_images/1662243/alf1.jpg

Who remembers collecting ALF cards?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/29/11 at 5:04 pm

I had almost a complete set of Addams Family movie cards.

My brother collected Garbage Pail Kids, Star Wars and E.T.

They might still be at my parents' home although I think I might have sold my cards to some shop somewhere when I needed money in my 20s.  :\'(

Written By: snozberries on 12/29/11 at 5:22 pm

I got nostalgic and started looking thru the cards I could get to...the rest are in rubbermaid totes under the bed and buried in the back of a closet.... 

of what I could find was a box of unopened 90210 wax packs. and full set of 21 Jumpstreet cards. O0

Written By: Howard on 12/30/11 at 6:36 am

I still have my Garbage Pail Kids, Michael Jackson and ALF cards stored in a plastic box.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/10/12 at 8:52 pm

How old are they?

God the cards have got to be at least 20 years old.  I started collecting the New Kids On The Block stuff when I was 13 years old.  :)

Written By: Howard on 01/11/12 at 6:54 am

God the cards have got to be at least 20 years old.  I started collecting the New Kids On The Block stuff when I was 13 years old.  :)

I started collecting Garbage Pail Kids cards since I was 12 years old.

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/11/12 at 7:25 am

The thing about cards from the '80s is that they are still very inexpensive in terms of collector's value, simply because so many were made and many are still found and preserved nowadays. They're still cool for keeping in your wallet or for a small picture frame. This was before there were any grading authorities as well, so it was more carefree in terms of condition, plus there were even some magazines devoted to it at the time. Plus, many didn't smash them like their parents did with their '50s/'60s cards. Sure, there are some cards from the '80s that have value, but the vast majority are only worth a few pennies!

Written By: moycon on 01/11/12 at 7:27 pm

Tis true. I picked up 48 wax packs from the 80's all unopened off eBay for $30 shipped!
Packs of cards today cost anywhere from .99 to 3.99 a pack. I got some great titles including....

Raiders of the Lost Ark
Supergirl
Ghostbusters 2
Rocky 2
Gremlins 2
Jaws 2
(Lots of sequels in the 80's eh?)
Dark Crystal
Cyndi Lauper
Smurfs
Buck Rogers
Mork and Mindy
Growing Pains and more!!!...

We are going to have another 80's party in a few weeks and I plan on passing packs around as party favors.
I think it'll really bring back some memories of the 80s

Written By: Howard on 01/11/12 at 7:30 pm

remember when you collected cards you had that stick of gum in every pack?

Written By: moycon on 01/12/12 at 2:22 am

Yeah that's the bad part. The gum is still there. In many cases it looks about the same, but it you try and chew it, it just breaks apart in your mouth and never turns into gum. Really bad.

I had to try.

Written By: Howard on 01/12/12 at 6:50 am

Yeah that's the bad part. The gum is still there. In many cases it looks about the same, but it you try and chew it, it just breaks apart in your mouth and never turns into gum. Really bad.

I had to try.

The gum was awful tasting, Whoever made it should be fired. How about giving me a normal piece of gum instead of gum that breaks apart in your mouth. ::)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 01/13/12 at 12:25 am

Tis true. I picked up 48 wax packs from the 80's all unopened off eBay for $30 shipped!
Packs of cards today cost anywhere from .99 to 3.99 a pack. I got some great titles including....

Raiders of the Lost Ark
Supergirl
Ghostbusters 2
Rocky 2
Gremlins 2
Jaws 2
(Lots of sequels in the 80's eh?)
Dark Crystal
Cyndi Lauper
Smurfs
Buck Rogers
Mork and Mindy
Growing Pains and more!!!...

We are going to have another 80's party in a few weeks and I plan on passing packs around as party favors.
I think it'll really bring back some memories of the 80s

I'm sure my brother had some Raiders of the Lost Ark ones, although I don't recall ever seeing the movie until well into adulthood.  ???

Still wish I lived closer so that I could go to one of your 80s parties.

I think I may be well into my 80's when I finally find local friends that would have a local 80s party. 

Check for new replies or respond here...