inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What was the best "girl" cartoon of the '80s?

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/11/12 at 10:48 am

As a little kids, your parents may have told you that something is "for boys and not girls" and vice versa, and one of those things was the cartoon series that was on. Sure, you had some "unisex" shows such as Muppet Babies, but the ones I have listed here are predominantly targeted at young girls as their original audience. Which is your favorite?

Subject: Re: What was the best "girl" cartoon of the '80s?

Written By: wildcard on 01/11/12 at 11:01 am

the Care Bear cartoons I watched had boys in it and caring isn't a girl thing.

Written By: robby76 on 01/11/12 at 11:28 am

Voted for Jem, with Care Bears a close second.

Written By: snozberries on 01/11/12 at 3:31 pm

Jem for the Win... with She-Ra coming in a close second!!!

Written By: Dagwood on 01/11/12 at 5:59 pm

Jem

Written By: Howard on 01/11/12 at 7:33 pm

Not to be effeminate or anything but I used to watch She Ra and Jem when I was growing up with the Saturday/Sunday morning cartoons.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/11/12 at 9:03 pm

Oh, I know what I want to click on tonight, but in the interest of full disclosure, I never watched it back in the day :)

I'd listen to the odd song on Jem while channel-surfing, but when I was a kid, I didn't really care who She-Ra was targeted at, I just thought it was part of He-Man's universe.  So I'm with She-Ra.  In retro-spect, I'd go with Jem, on grounds that the music wasn't half-bad and has since been covered in rather awesome fashion. 

guTbj91zoh0

- Theme to Jem and the Holograms as covered by Freezepop in 2004.  (It came out on Fancy Ultra-Fresh, but I'm not sure if it's there on current pressings for the obvious licensing reasons.)

...but if you're asking me what happened on the odd Saturday morning 25+ years ago, yeah, I'd watch an episode of She-Ra if there was nothing else on.  So that's what I clicked on.

Written By: Howard on 01/12/12 at 7:00 am

Oh, I know what I want to click on tonight, but in the interest of full disclosure, I never watched it back in the day :)

I'd listen to the odd song on Jem while channel-surfing, but when I was a kid, I didn't really care who She-Ra was targeted at, I just thought it was part of He-Man's universe.  So I'm with She-Ra.  In retro-spect, I'd go with Jem, on grounds that the music wasn't half-bad and has since been covered in rather awesome fashion. 

guTbj91zoh0

- Theme to Jem and the Holograms as covered by Freezepop in 2004.  (It came out on Fancy Ultra-Fresh, but I'm not sure if it's there on current pressings for the obvious licensing reasons.)

...but if you're asking me what happened on the odd Saturday morning 25+ years ago, yeah, I'd watch an episode of She-Ra if there was nothing else on.  So that's what I clicked on.

watching the video brings back memories.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 01/12/12 at 11:38 am

Jem AND She-Ra were my idols!  I chose Jem though, because I never missed that cartoon.  :)

Written By: reneejay143 on 02/15/12 at 4:04 pm

As a little kids, your parents may have told you that something is "for boys and not girls" and vice versa, and one of those things was the cartoon series that was on. Sure, you had some "unisex" shows such as Muppet Babies, but the ones I have listed here are predominantly targeted at young girls as their original audience. Whichis your favorite?

what about Gummi bears and forever friends with the lil clip that goes in your hair its the animals tail it was a toy and a cartoon for girls

Written By: amjikloviet on 02/15/12 at 4:31 pm

I loved all of these cartoons growing up, but Jem was always my favorite. I voted for Jem, of course!

Check for new replies or respond here...