inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I was a 1980s sci-fi child star

Written By: Miranda Borman on 01/14/12 at 11:15 pm

Hi

I'm new to the site

I was a child actress in 1980s Britain.

I played Stellar in the 1987 Doctor Who story Dragonfire.

My parents later moved us to Australia which is where i got back into acting at University.

I'm hoping to make friends here.

Subject: Re: I was a 1980s sci-fi child star

Written By: Henk on 01/15/12 at 1:22 am

Hi

I'm new to the site

My parents later moved us to Australia which is where i got back into acting at University.

Cool!  :) Don't think I've ever seen that story, though.

Welcome to the site. I'm sure you'll make friends here (plenty of Dr. Who fans around)

Written By: Howard on 01/15/12 at 6:27 am

Welcome to the site Miranda.  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/15/12 at 6:30 am

Hi

I'm new to the site

Welcome to the boards.

Written By: Dagwood on 01/15/12 at 8:08 am

Welcome, Miranda. :)

Written By: snozberries on 01/15/12 at 10:23 am

welcome... what was Helping Henry about?
It sounds kind of like Mork & Mindy-esque with a touch of "Out of this World"  -  AWESOME! LOL

Written By: Miranda Borman on 01/15/12 at 6:54 pm

Here's a screencap from Dragonfire. Notice the dress. The "heart" shaped neckline is designed to emphasise an adult woman's breasts and was totally age inappropriate for the six year old child that i was:
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111016194404/tardis/images/thumb/8/8a/Stellar-StarChild.jpg/589px-Stellar-StarChild.jpg

Written By: snozberries on 01/15/12 at 6:56 pm

Here's a screencap from Dragonfire. Notice the dress. The "heart" shaped neckline is designed to emphasise an adult woman's breasts and was totally age inappropriate for the six year old child that i was:
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111016194404/tardis/images/thumb/8/8a/Stellar-StarChild.jpg/589px-Stellar-StarChild.jpg

It totally looks ike something out of Toddlers and Tiara's tho....  ;D
I don't know if you're familiar with that show or not.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 01/15/12 at 7:01 pm

You were on Doctor Who?  Awesome!
8)

Written By: Howard on 01/15/12 at 7:04 pm

Wow that is inappropriate, Why would they make those little girls do that?  ???

Written By: snozberries on 01/15/12 at 7:06 pm

Wow that is inappropriate, Why would they make those little girls do that?  ???

Howard, that's a picture of her as a child when she was a child on Doctor Who.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/15/12 at 8:47 pm

You were on Doctor Who?  Awesome!
8)

What he said!

This board's the closet thing I'll ever get to owning a time machine.  Welcome aboard, Miranda!

Written By: moycon on 01/15/12 at 11:53 pm

Hi Miranda! I can't say I'm a HUGE Dr Who fan, although I have seen several of the mini-series and enjoyed them all. They are a lot of fun.
Even own around a half dozen on VHS tape, although unfortunately I don't believe Dragonfire was one of them.

What was it like working on the set, do you recall? It seems you were pretty young at the time. Is it something you recall with fond memories? Do you still work in the entertainment/acting field?

Written By: Miranda Borman on 01/16/12 at 12:09 am

I do some freelance theatre work but have a "day job".

The dress they made me wear in Dragonfire was notorious in some circles at the time of first broadcast - "Why is Stellar running around an ice planet in a dress?" the Doctor Who Appreciation Society apparently said.
I had no choice - the producer and director forced me. There's a really bad moment where Stellar is hiding under a table and the dress bunches up and my underwear is put on full view.

Written By: Henk on 01/16/12 at 5:14 am

I do some freelance theatre work but have a "day job".

The dress they made me wear in Dragonfire was notorious in some circles at the time of first broadcast - "Why is Stellar running around an ice planet in a dress?" the Doctor Who Appreciation Society apparently said.

Wrong question, if you ask me. They should've asked why you were running around in a dress like that. ;)

I had no choice - the producer and director forced me. There's a really bad moment where Stellar is hiding under a table and the dress bunches up and my underwear is put on full view.

Just out of curiosity (like I said, I don't recall ever watching this particular story) I tried to find the story on YouTube. There are bits and pieces there, but I'm not sure the entire storyline is. Not even sure if you are in any of those bits and pieces. I certainly didn't see the shot you're describing, so that's the good news. ;)

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 01/16/12 at 11:47 pm

Welcome Miranda

How did you get a guest shot on Dr. Who?  That is really cool.

Written By: Miranda Borman on 01/18/12 at 3:30 am

Check You Tube for a clip of the 1983 British show Minipops. My dress in Dragonfire does indeed make me look like a Minipops. It's disturbing and disgusting that they dressed me in a dress with its' heart shape designed to emphasise the charms and sexiness of an adult woman.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 01/18/12 at 3:36 am

Do you have any good memories from the show?  Was there anything else you didn't like other then the unfortunate choice of fashion?  They probably wanted to make your character look more futuristic and since satin and la'me were popular materials back then, at least it covered everything that really should be covered on a young child.  :)

Written By: Howard on 01/18/12 at 6:27 am

Check You Tube for a clip of the 1983 British show Minipops. My dress in Dragonfire does indeed make me look like a Minipops. It's disturbing and disgusting that they dressed me in a dress with its' heart shape designed to emphasise the charms and sexiness of an adult woman.

Wow Miranda What were they thinking?  :o I saw a small video clip of some little girls dressed as Bananarama singing a song and I'm shocked that they have those girls dressed up in robes. :o

Written By: Miranda Borman on 01/18/12 at 6:51 am

did you notice that in the Minipops clip the little girls are plastered in make up and at one point singing about "making love"?

There's a reason that Minipops was cancelled after just six episodes - it was a paedophile's dream.

One of the online reviews of Dragonfire openly said that my character looked like a Minipops reject in that dress.

Written By: Howard on 01/18/12 at 7:05 am

did you notice that in the Minipops clip the little girls are plastered in make up and at one point singing about "making love"?

There's a reason that Minipops was cancelled after just six episodes - it was a paedophile's dream.

One of the online reviews of Dragonfire openly said that my character looked like a Minipops reject in that dress.

I saw that boy that was really disturbing, having 5-10 year old little girls dressed up scantily clad, almost like the show Toddlers and Tiaras.

Written By: snozberries on 01/18/12 at 1:15 pm

welcome... what was Helping Henry about?
It sounds kind of like Mork & Mindy-esque with a touch of "Out of this World"  -  AWESOME! LOL

Maybe you missed this  :-\\

I'd really be interested in hearing a little about helping Henry

Written By: Miranda Borman on 01/18/12 at 2:21 pm

For those in the UK

I'm doing a signing for 10th Planet to promote the release of Dragonfire on DVD.

http://www.tenthplanetevents.co.uk/signing---march-24-481-c.asp

Snoz - I'll answer your question ASAP

Written By: snozberries on 01/18/12 at 7:36 pm

For those in the UK

I'm doing a signing for 10th Planet to promote the release of Dragonfire on DVD.

http://www.tenthplanetevents.co.uk/signing---march-24-481-c.asp

Snoz - I'll answer your question ASAP

Thanks!!! Good luck at the signing. :-)

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/18/12 at 9:56 pm

Check You Tube for a clip of the 1983 British show Minipops.

After reading the description in this thread, I think I'll pass on that offer.  :)

Not to make light of it, but I'm with bookmistress4ever - everyone in 80s sci-fi wore goofy shiny stuff.  It was a cheap cut-in for "futuristic".  Sometimes even the female spaceships themselves were a little ... well, off.

It's a lot easier for me to say this from behind a keyboard than it probably is for you, but try to consider comments like the one in the Dragonfire review as condemnations of the scriptwriters/costume designers/directors of the era (or of whoever had creative control of that character and her costuming, which I wouldn't want to guess from 25 years' and a transatlantic flight away from BBC-land), not of the actress.  You didn't choose the costume.  They did.  And one of the things that makes Dr. Who so much fun is what they were able to accomplish on a shoestring budget -- which means they may not have even noticed their mistakes in post-production.

Having said all that, if you ever have the misfortune to encounter a viewer who remembers one of the last two survivors of the iceworld/ship for her costume, feel free to apply a sonic screwdriver to them as you see fit, with great vigor, and with the blessing of every Whovian on the planet.

Written By: BarnabyMoo on 01/23/12 at 3:18 pm

Hi Miranda,

Dragonfire was one of the first Who videos I owned back when it came out almost 20 years ago. Must say I found it highly amusing watching all the characters running around a massive freezer for 73 minutes.

Are you involved in the interviews/documentary for the forthcoming DVD at all?

Also, is the twitter account @mirandaborman yours or an imposter?

Written By: Miranda Borman on 02/01/12 at 6:53 am

I was approached for the DVD but the person who approached me did it the wrong way and came across as some sort of Mark David Chapman so i denied being the actress that played Stellar.

Written By: karen on 02/01/12 at 8:45 am

Hi Miranda,

Dragonfire was one of the first Who videos I owned back when it came out almost 20 years ago. Must say I found it highly amusing watching all the characters running around a massive freezer for 73 minutes.

Makes a change from the quarry they used in the 70s

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/07/12 at 1:28 pm

Makes a change from the quarry they used in the 70s
That quarry is now the location for the Bluewater Shopping Mall in Dartford in Kent.

Written By: Miranda Borman on 09/25/12 at 9:43 pm

Just bumping my thread in case anyone wants to ask me any questions about my Doctor Who experiences.

Check for new replies or respond here...