inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who else wishes they had experienced the '80s?

Written By: Ryan112390 on 01/28/12 at 1:56 am

I was born in 1990, so just at the beginning of the '90s, but I totally missed the '80s. My siblings were born in '72, '73 and '80 respectively so they all experienced those decades. I look back at family photos and TV shows and movies from the '80s and it just seems like it was a great time and I kinda wish I was born earlier so I could've taken part in it.

Anyone feel the same way?

Subject: Re: Who else wishes they had experienced the '80s?

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 03/30/12 at 10:28 am

Probably anybody born in the 80's feels that way. But you can't choose your year of birth. People born in 1980 probably hate that they didn't experience the 70's because they were so great... and so on, and so on...

Written By: Howard on 03/30/12 at 7:05 pm

I experienced the 80's even though I was small to see the 80's it was a great time to be a kid.

Subject: Re: Who else wishes they had experienced the '60s?

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/30/12 at 7:46 pm

I was born in 1970, so just at the beginning of the '70s, but I totally missed the '60s. My siblings were born in '61, '62, 63, and '65 respectively so they all experienced those decades. I look back at family photos and TV shows and movies from the '60s and it just seems like it was a great time and I kinda wish I was born earlier so I could've taken part in it.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 03/30/12 at 8:46 pm

I don't wish that.  :-\\ Being born in 1995, I do not want to go to any decade before the 90s. I just can't imagine how people lived without Internet and Cell Phones and the horrible racism that was much more frequently happening in earlier decades.

Subject: Re: Who else wishes they had experienced the '60s?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/30/12 at 8:58 pm

I was born in 1970, so just at the beginning of the '70s, but I totally missed the '60s. My siblings were born in '61, '62, 63, and '65 respectively so they all experienced those decades. I look back at family photos and TV shows and movies from the '60s and it just seems like it was a great time and I kinda wish I was born earlier so I could've taken part in it.

Same here (1969).  My parents and their friends were hippies.  I grew up watching the sun go down on a magical time called "the sixties."  The "sixties" finally died in a one-two punch:  John Lennon assassinated on December 8, 1980 and Ronald Reagan inaugurated on January 20, 1981.  However, the optimism was waning in the seventies while the cynicism was waxing.

Whereas far more people looked like hippies in 1976, my father really was a hippie at Harvard grad school in 1963 before the word "hippie" entered the vernacular.  I never wanted to be a hippie, but I was inculcated with many hippie ideals.  While I'd rather wear a crew cut and a button down shirt, I sure wish I could live in a time of real hope and change and real national prosperity than in the sh*t we've got now.  The sad thing is, my parents didn't realize how good they had it!
::)

Written By: lady of the 80s on 03/30/12 at 9:32 pm

My fondness for the 1980s stems from the fact that I grew up during that time (born in '74).  But what's awesome about now, though, is I can see and experience the great things from past decades through the Internet, including '80s stuff I missed.  I'm watching/playing tons of '80s videos, commercials, and games and listening to music I never heard before.  Back in the day, most of us didn't have an opportunity to hear or see what was popular in other countries or in other regions of one's home country.  Now it's all available with just an Internet connection.  People who were too young (or not yet born) to remember the '80s actually have more of the '80s available to them than we did when we were living through it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/30/12 at 9:51 pm

My fondness for the 1980s stems from the fact that I grew up during that time (born in '74).  But what's awesome about now, though, is I can see and experience the great things from past decades through the Internet, including '80s stuff I missed.  I'm watching/playing tons of '80s videos, commercials, and games and listening to music I never heard before.  Back in the day, most of us didn't have an opportunity to hear or see what was popular in other countries or in other regions of one's home country.  Now it's all available with just an Internet connection.  People who were too young (or not yet born) to remember the '80s actually have more of the '80s available to them than we did when we were living through it.

I would have enjoyed clubbing a lot more in 1985, but I was too young to go.  By the time I was old enough to get into the clubs in the late eighties New Wave and Punk were out and the Manchester Sound and Grunge were in and I didn't like that stuff.  Nope.  I was stuck listening to old Brian Eno records until I discovered The Orb and Aphex Twin when I went back to college!
8)

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 03/31/12 at 4:08 am

I don't wish that.  :-\\ Being born in 1995, I do not want to go to any decade before the 90s. I just can't imagine how people lived without Internet and Cell Phones and the horrible racism that was much more frequently happening in earlier decades.

Really? Sometimes I miss the time without the highly advanced internet technology which was my childhood. It's not fun anymore to go out in town to shop, because you always know it's cheper on-line. It's boring to go to cd-shops, because you know that you could download songs instantly at home. It's not interesting anymore to go to book shops because you could just browse through Amazon.

If you wanted to see a picture of a special place on earth or animal, you needed your parents to buy you a book about that place or a book about animals and you were happy on Christmas day or your birthday. Today you just google the picture and you get it. It was fun to have a real globe; today you just have Google Earth. If you wanted to have a map of a country, you needed to go to buy it -> today you just click Google Maps... just a few examples.

It is great that a lot of things are easier today, but the fact that something is already too easy today and nothing is really special anymore, makes life of the late 2000's and 2010's boring in comparison to the '90's and probably to the '80's and anything before.

Written By: danootaandme on 03/31/12 at 5:16 am

It's not interesting anymore to go to book shops because you could just browse through Amazon.

Got to stop you on this one.  I am a dedicated bookstore browser.  Although there are far fewer, it is still a wonderful thing.  I am a big fan of the old bookstores, you get out of print masterpieces and obscure books that are fabulous.  I suggest that you stay away from Amazon, I never go there, and get out to a bookstore, you'll be doing yourself a big favor.

Written By: Howard on 03/31/12 at 6:43 am

people were living differently without internet and cell phones, people were gabbing on those big brick sized cell phones and using Macintosh computers.

Written By: Howard on 03/31/12 at 6:47 am

I would have enjoyed clubbing a lot more in 1985, but I was too young to go.  By the time I was old enough to get into the clubs in the late eighties New Wave and Punk were out and the Manchester Sound and Grunge were in and I didn't like that stuff.  Nope.  I was stuck listening to old Brian Eno records until I discovered The Orb and Aphex Twin when I went back to college!
8)

I was 11 years old in 1985 I was just a kid riding my bike and hanging out with my friends.

Written By: Dagwood on 03/31/12 at 9:16 am

Got to stop you on this one.  I am a dedicated bookstore browser.  Although there are far fewer, it is still a wonderful thing.  I am a big fan of the old bookstores, you get out of print masterpieces and obscure books that are fabulous.  I suggest that you stay away from Amazon, I never go there, and get out to a bookstore, you'll be doing yourself a big favor.

Agreed.  It is wonderful to get out of the house.  I love music stores and book stores. 

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 03/31/12 at 9:48 am

Agreed.  It is wonderful to get out of the house.  I love music stores and book stores.

Yes, it is wonderful. But it was even more wonderful, when this was the only way to get stuff.

Written By: Brian06 on 03/31/12 at 10:11 am

Really? Sometimes I miss the time without the highly advanced internet technology which was my childhood. It's not fun anymore to go out in town to shop, because you always know it's cheper on-line. It's boring to go to cd-shops, because you know that you could download songs instantly at home. It's not interesting anymore to go to book shops because you could just browse through Amazon.

If you wanted to see a picture of a special place on earth or animal, you needed your parents to buy you a book about that place or a book about animals and you were happy on Christmas day or your birthday. Today you just google the picture and you get it. It was fun to have a real globe; today you just have Google Earth. If you wanted to have a map of a country, you needed to go to buy it -> today you just click Google Maps... just a few examples.

It is great that a lot of things are easier today, but the fact that something is already too easy today and nothing is really special anymore, makes life of the late 2000's and 2010's boring in comparison to the '90's and probably to the '80's and anything before.

Yeah I know what you mean, a good example is the old Britannica Encyclopedias. I remember us getting a set in 1993, little did we know what was coming in the coming years and that they would end up obsolete! Now this year I read the Britannica print edition is done for, that along with the closing of many book stores, video stores, cd stores, etc. does make me feel weird.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 03/31/12 at 7:03 pm

Whoa dude, I don't know where you're getting this from... but open racism, sexism and stuff was from the 60s and earlier! (and even then it was slowly dying out, thanks to the Civil Rights and political protests of the time, which really changed the world) Maybe a few remnants were still there in the 70s because the past was still so recent, but no F'ing way was there segregation or anything like that by 1985!

Believe me other than technology, the lifestyle was practically the same as it is today. In fact, the 80s really were the building blocks for modern society. Especially the late 80s, when personal computers, CDs and rap music began mainstreaming. VCRs, microwaves, video games and all that became commonplace then too.

Written By: Howard on 03/31/12 at 7:24 pm

It was great too just to get out of the house go to your nearest Blockbuster and rent a film or two.
music stores were great as well, I enjoyed getting a cheap cassette or Cd back in those days.

Written By: Dagwood on 03/31/12 at 7:36 pm

Whoa dude, I don't know where you're getting this from... but open racism, sexism and stuff was from the 60s and earlier! (and even then it was slowly dying out, thanks to the Civil Rights and political protests of the time, which really changed the world) Maybe a few remnants were still there in the 70s because the past was still so recent, but no F'ing way was there segregation or anything like that by 1985!

Believe me other than technology, the lifestyle was practically the same as it is today. In fact, the 80s really were the building blocks for modern society. Especially the late 80s, when personal computers, CDs and rap music began mainstreaming. VCRs, microwaves, video games and all that became commonplace then too.

Just because segregation, etc, wasn't around doesn't mean there wasn't racism in the 80's.  I don't agree that it was horrible or as blatant as in the 50's and 60's but it was still there.  I think it is something that will never go away in one form or another.  There will always be people out there that want to make themselves feel superior by trying to make others feel inferior.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/31/12 at 7:56 pm

Same here.  That also goes for record stores.  There's ONE record store left in Amherst.  Mystery Train.  Now it's a good one, that's for sure, but it's the only one.  For The Record went out of business a few years ago.  They were the last one with a respectable classical music selection.  Newbury Comics moved to Northampton last year, but they're not a record store so much as a college hipster accessories shop.

Written By: lady of the 80s on 03/31/12 at 8:06 pm

I guess this time is perfect for me because I never want to go back to all that described above.  I want everything at my fingertips anytime I want (I'm a control freak that way).  If I want to listen to practically any album (not quite yet, but it's getting there), I go to Spotify; if I want almost any book, I go to Amazon; if I want a collectible item, I go to eBay; if I need any kind of information, I surf the web.  No more searching high and low for stuff.  It's awesome not having to buy an album to listen to it (and, before listening stations, you most often couldn't listen to all the songs before buying it) or having to go to a library or owning a giant encyclopedia collection that quickly became outdated to look up anything. 

I also hate going out.  I don't like being around people.  I guess I'm one of those Internet introverts who'd prefer not leaving my home and never actually having to socialize in person  ;D.  And I can relive the '80s whenever I want! 

Plus, I still get excited about technology!  Just a few months ago, I was amazed the Shazam app on my phone identified a song playing in a noisy restaurant AND showed the lyrics of the song exactly at the point being played.  That blew my mind!  So, things are still special for me.  I think I was born at the right time, because I got to live through what I think is the greatest decade for music and I get to appreciate what we have today maybe on a different level than those who never knew what it was like to not have this technology.   

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 03/31/12 at 8:16 pm

Just because segregation, etc, wasn't around doesn't mean there wasn't racism in the 80's.  I don't agree that it was horrible or as blatant as in the 50's and 60's but it was still there.  I think it is something that will never go away in one form or another.  There will always be people out there that want to make themselves feel superior by trying to make others feel inferior.

Oh yeah, when it comes to individuals, sadly that's true. Even now I imagine there's alot of people who hate blacks, or probably Mexicans moreso because of the immigration debate. Homosexuality still has a long way to go before the masses accept it (its probably just at the beginning right now, in terms of mainstream culture).

Written By: Howard on 04/01/12 at 6:41 am

I miss the days of when I went to the arcades Friday Night and spent 10 or 20 dollars on video games.

Written By: lady of the 80s on 04/01/12 at 10:02 pm

I miss the days of when I went to the arcades Friday Night and spent 10 or 20 dollars on video games.

And the games cost a quarter to play.  Now, they're usually 50 cents.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/02/12 at 1:35 am

Galaxian and PacMan...until I ran out of quarters!
:D

Written By: Howard on 04/02/12 at 6:28 am

and I spent hours and hours on one game till I just had to beat it.

Written By: Howard on 04/02/12 at 6:28 am

Galaxian and PacMan...until I ran out of quarters!

mine was Wrestlefest.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 04/02/12 at 7:49 am

I was born in 1990, so just at the beginning of the '90s, but I totally missed the '80s.

You know what is even more annoying? Being born and being actually around in the 80's for a few years and still not to be able to really talk about 'my decade of origin'.

At least you don't have that problem, being born at the beginning of a new decade!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/02/12 at 11:58 am

You know what is even more annoying? Being born and being actually around in the 80's for a few years and still not to be able to really talk about 'my decade of origin'.

At least you don't have that problem, being born at the beginning of a new decade!

Well, as I was saying, I was born in 1969, so technically my "decade of origin" is the 1960s...but I don't have any vivid memories of anything until perhaps 1973, and even then I didn't think about what year it was.  I don't think it really matters what decade you were born in so much as the years you remember.  In your case, you probably remember things going back to about 1990 or 1991. It's not as if being born in 1986 makes late to the eighties or early for the nineties.  That's what makes decadology so silly.

Written By: lady of the 80s on 04/02/12 at 2:05 pm

I was born in 1974, but I don't remember much about the 1970s at all.  At that time (as it is for most kids), my parents controlled my world.  I didn't get to choose where to go, what to listen to, what to read (If I could even read in the '70s, I don't know at what age you start reading).  I think to really experience a decade, one needs to be old enough to see beyond their little shell and discover what people are doing, watching, listening to, etc.  The Internet definitely makes that easier to do now and at a younger age than before. 

Written By: Howard on 04/02/12 at 2:42 pm

I was born in 1974, but I don't remember much about the 1970s at all.  At that time (as it is for most kids), my parents controlled my world.  I didn't get to choose where to go, what to listen to, what to read (If I could even read in the '70s, I don't know at what age you start reading).  I think to really experience a decade, one needs to be old enough to see beyond their little shell and discover what people are doing, watching, listening to, etc.  The Internet definitely makes that easier to do now and at a younger age than before.

I was born in 1974 myself and I barely can remember what I used to do when I was so little but I do remember and the proof is in the class picture, In 1979 I was 5 years old and as My Mother was painting I took our scissors and cut my own hair (bangs) and after that I took the class picture without my bangs and had that small bald spot in the middle of my head. It took close to a year to grow back and boy was that day embarassing!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/02/12 at 4:21 pm

I was born in 1974 myself and I barely can remember what I used to do when I was so little but I do remember and the proof is in the class picture, In 1979 I was 5 years old and as My Mother was painting I took our scissors and cut my own hair (bangs) and after that I took the class picture without my bangs and had that small bald spot in the middle of my head. It took close to a year to grow back and boy was that day embarassing!

You got to see into the future!

Written By: Brian06 on 04/02/12 at 4:22 pm

Well, as I was saying, I was born in 1969, so technically my "decade of origin" is the 1960s...but I don't have any vivid memories of anything until perhaps 1973, and even then I didn't think about what year it was.  I don't think it really matters what decade you were born in so much as the years you remember.  In your case, you probably remember things going back to about 1990 or 1991. It's not as if being born in 1986 makes late to the eighties or early for the nineties.  That's what makes decadology so silly.

Yeah agreed Max. I was born in 1987, my first memories I'm sure of I know are from 1991. This "'80s kid", "90s kid", etc. crap is stupid, I grew up in the '90s and the '00s. There's not some exact cutoff. The '80s I obviously don't remember. I'm not gonna sit around wishing I was born earlier that is so stupid, we all have our timeline and as we get older our experiences build. I remember in '96 thinking tech was so advanced then, now I look at stuff from 1996 and it looks pretty darn old. No way I would have imagined browsing the full internet on a cell phone in 1996 or even 2003, now smartphones are becoming many people's primary access to the internet and that kind of amazes me. My 63 year old mom actually never even used the internet until she got her iPhone. She still doesn't really know how to use a computer, but she's pretty good with her iPhone! I had a good growing up so I'm plenty happy with what I've experienced, and even at around 25 I've seen quite a few changes and will see more as I get older.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 04/03/12 at 1:31 am

Yeah, you can really experience things from any decade you relate to, far easier nowadays with YouTube and modern tech.

I have felt gypped at times being born in 1981, just because my favorite music is from the early to mid 80s. So that literally means it got progressively a little less good as I got older, lol. I'm also attached to my young childhood and memories more than my teenage or early adult years, but all of it is old school for me today. I've learned to value and appreciate things as they're going on, knowing that one day I'll be nostalgic for right now too.

I'm old enough (and I have a hella good memory) to have "been there for the 80s", and yeah, while it would've been cooler to have been a bit older and able to do my own things (as opposed to just kid stuff), had I been 15 or 20 in 1985, I might've not quite appreciated it as much as I do now.

I try to look at the bright side and I'm glad I at least got to be around for some of it.

Written By: Inertia on 04/03/12 at 1:58 am

Although I was technically a part of the 80's being born in 1989, I don't remember the decade at all. Sometimes I wish I did remember something from the 80's, but there are other decades I am more interested in honestly. Strangely, I do feel somewhat connected to the decade though as I did watch a lot of cartoons 80's children did as they were still in syndication in the early nineties.

Occasionally, I think everyone feels they were born in the wrong time including myself. However, I probably would have been more suited for being born in the 1880's instead of the 1980's. If I would have been born a hundred years sooner, I would have been in my 30's in the 1920's and enjoyed vaudeville and the age of jazz in the prime of adulthood. It would have been nice to have the opportunity see Fred Astaire dancing live. By the time the 1940's arrived I would be in my 50's, I would have seen the dawn of big band and see some of my favorite musicals in the theaters.

But...I digress...I wasn't born then and seeing as their isn't a time machine invented yet I can't go back to the past. Still, I'm thankful for the life experiences I've had so far, and, if I were born earlier, I would miss what is happening currently and what will happen in the future.

In the end, I think it's easy to become wistful thinking of the past and what you missed, but luckily with the internet we can better understand what life was really like for people back.

Written By: Howard on 04/03/12 at 6:31 am

You got to see into the future!

I think this is what might have led to my hair loss or it just could've been genetics.

Written By: Howard on 04/03/12 at 6:34 am

I remember those times during the 80's when technology wasn't so simple such as using a computer or talking on your brick-sized cell phone.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 04/03/12 at 4:06 pm

Although I was technically a part of the 80's being born in 1989, I don't remember the decade at all. Sometimes I wish I did remember something from the 80's, but there are other decades I am more interested in honestly. Strangely, I do feel somewhat connected to the decade though as I did watch a lot of cartoons 80's children did as they were still in syndication in the early nineties.

Occasionally, I think everyone feels they were born in the wrong time including myself. However, I probably would have been more suited for being born in the 1880's instead of the 1980's. If I would have been born a hundred years sooner, I would have been in my 30's in the 1920's and enjoyed vaudeville and the age of jazz in the prime of adulthood. It would have been nice to have the opportunity see Fred Astaire dancing live. By the time the 1940's arrived I would be in my 50's, I would have seen the dawn of big band and see some of my favorite musicals in the theaters.

But...I digress...I wasn't born then and seeing as their isn't a time machine invented yet I can't go back to the past. Still, I'm thankful for the life experiences I've had so far, and, if I were born earlier, I would miss what is happening currently and what will happen in the future.

In the end, I think it's easy to become wistful thinking of the past and what you missed, but luckily with the internet we can better understand what life was really like for people back.

QFT. :)

I totally agree with that. Even though the 80s are my favorite (and I have more of a fascination with 1980-most of '84, since that's what I can't actually remember), I honestly am interested in everything from as far back as the Wild West era, and think I could find something to like from any time.

Yeah, that's one of the best things about modern tech, that discovering the past (or anything) is so much easier than it was even 5+ years ago.

Written By: muzaklova on 04/05/12 at 1:53 pm

I actually think racism has unfortunately made a comeback in the past half decade. I can't speak from experience, but racism in America actually seems WORSE in 2012 than it did in the eighties. People werent as politically correct then no but there wasn't really any more hatred imo.

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/06/12 at 10:57 pm

Documentary Explores Why Japan’s Arcades Didn’t Die.

Funny thing.  While we were busy mourning the demise of our beloved arcades, the country that brought us Space Invaders is still going strong.

ZyyLPgGYcV8

Except that instead of 25 or 50 cents, we're talking 100 Yen.

"Playing games at home by yourself just instn't the same. Arcades allow you a glimpse of something bigger. I implore you to come and see for yourself."
  - Hiro Kawaguchi, Sega, sound designer on AfterBurner, Out Run, Space Harrier.

Written By: Step-chan on 04/07/12 at 3:15 am

I've experienced the 80s, since I was born in 77.

Some of it I miss(the cartoons, movies and gimmick Kool Aid flavors for example), other things(like Garbage Pail Kids and school) I don't.

Written By: Howard on 04/07/12 at 6:27 am

I miss the days when MTV showed only videos.

Written By: Step-chan on 04/07/12 at 9:31 pm

Me as well. ^

Written By: Howard on 04/08/12 at 3:17 pm

I also miss family sitcoms.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/10/12 at 4:43 pm

It's funny, I grew up in the 1980's (born in 1970 and graduated high school in 1989) and I never had the feeling that I was growing up in some wonderful, magical time period. As a matter-of-fact, at the time I thought 80's music was soulless and corporate and I often envied my older brothers and sisters for growing up during the "classic rock" era of the 1970's. In other words, as a teenager I felt the same way about the 80's as a lot of the younger people here feel about the current era.

It's only been within the last few years that I've come to appreciate 80's culture more (though I still think a lot of things about that decade blew, especially the cars). And perhaps some of you will feel the same way about the 2010's in another 15-20 years.

I'm sure that wishing one was alive to experience a different era isn't a new phenomenon among young people (after all, look at all the nostalgia for the 1950's that was prevalent during the 1970's, for example), but don't get too hung up on it. Live in the now, for you're only young once and believe me, it goes a lot more quickly than you realize.  :-\\

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/10/12 at 5:12 pm

You've bever been to the south, have you?

Or even a big city like Chicago.

It might not be instutionalized segregation, but they are segregated nonetheless.  Racism is alive and well - it just isn't politically correct anymore.

:\'(

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/10/12 at 5:21 pm

You've bever been to the south, have you?

Or even a big city like Chicago.

It might not be instutionalized segregation, but they are segregated nonetheless.  Racism is alive and well - it just isn't politically correct anymore.

:\'(

Agreed. Kansas City is a very racially segregated city. "Northtown," or the area north of the Missouri River (on the Missouri side) is considered the "white flight zone," and a lot of my white friends from here seem to have deeply ingrained racial prejudices.  :(

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/11/12 at 11:14 pm

It's only been within the last few years that I've come to appreciate 80's culture more (though I still think a lot of things about that decade blew, especially the cars). And perhaps some of you will feel the same way about the 2010's in another 15-20 years.

And we are all gonna be here, dear readers, to laugh at with you about it.

I have 100 quatloos that says our half-baked attempt at a dubstep thread is going to be regarded as quaintly hilarious in about 20 years, but I mean it in a good way.  Stuff that we thought mattered in the 80s ("so, like, are you a metalhead, or one of those new wavers?") turned out to not matter so much at all.

ENISCG2a15g

Back in 1989, I was one of those weird kids who listened to Clock DVA and spent all his time on a computer.  Go figure.

Written By: Mishel on 04/16/12 at 6:47 am

I have experienced the early 00s and I wish they were back when teens like you didn't rule over the Internet. I hate all those people born in 1995-2000 taking over every website and turning it into a hell hole.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/16/12 at 11:19 am

I have experienced the early 00s and I wish they were back when teens like you didn't rule over the Internet. I hate all those people born in 1995-2000 taking over every website and turning it into a hell hole.

LOL!  You need to register, Mishel, because you seem like you'd fit right in here.  ;)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/16/12 at 6:10 pm

Strangely enough, back in the 80's people went actually outside and interacted with each other face to face. Not just that but instead of sitting behind a computer screen for hours we actually had to think of stuff to do, so we'd get all the neigborhood kids together and play football in our backyards. And at night during the summer, we'd ride our bikes around and commit petty acts of vandalism.

God, it was terrible.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 04/17/12 at 6:31 am

Strangely enough, back in the 80's people went actually outside and interacted with each other face to face. Not just that but instead of sitting behind a computer screen for hours we actually had to think of stuff to do, so we'd get all the neigborhood kids together and play football in our backyards. And at night during the summer, we'd ride our bikes around and commit petty acts of vandalism.

Yeah I remember those days when you had face to face conversations with friends and neighbors and now in 2012 you can talk to people via instant messengers such as Yahoo and Skype.Today people are mostly couch potatoes.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/18/12 at 3:47 pm

My neighborhood always played Horse and Kickball, plus we made up ALL kinds of other games.  And I will miss my pink banana seat bike for the rest of my life.  I was never in the house when I was little.  It was utter misery... ;)

Written By: Howard on 04/18/12 at 7:19 pm

My neighborhood always played Horse and Kickball, plus we made up ALL kinds of other games.  And I will miss my pink banana seat bike for the rest of my life.  I was never in the house when I was little.  It was utter misery... ;)

I remember playing Horse and Kickball, those were the days.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/18/12 at 7:21 pm

I remember playing Horse and Kickball, those were the days.

I always liked Kick The Can.

Kids have no idea what they're missing out on.

Written By: Howard on 04/18/12 at 7:21 pm

I miss Smellavision, remember a film had a smell that corresponded with the number and when that number came up you would scratch and sniff it?

Written By: Howard on 04/18/12 at 7:22 pm

I always liked Kick The Can.

Kids have no idea what they're missing out on.

or freeze tag.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/18/12 at 7:42 pm

Anyone remember playing the "fart safety" game?  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/18/12 at 8:56 pm

We'd pay some old bum to buy a bottle of vodka for us and get trashed behind the shopping plaza!
8-P

Written By: Foo Bar on 04/19/12 at 1:41 am

No, but that sounds tasteless and offensive...

...so tell us about it already!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/19/12 at 5:47 am

No, but that sounds tasteless and offensive...

...so tell us about it already!

So basically, when you're hanging out with your friends and you fart, you have to say the word "SAFETY" immediately afterwards. If you forget to call out "SAFETY" after you fart, then someone else can call out "DOORKNOB!" and then they can hit you repeatedly in the arm and the only way you can make them stop is to touch a doorknob. 

Also, if someone calls out a false "DOORKNOB" on you, then you get "DOORKNOB" on them and the same rules apply.

I remember playing this back in the 80's but I wouldn't be surprised if it goes back further.

Written By: Howard on 04/19/12 at 6:37 am

So basically, when you're hanging out with your friends and you fart, you have to say the word "SAFETY" immediately afterwards. If you forget to call out "SAFETY" after you fart, then someone else can call out "DOORKNOB!" and then they can hit you repeatedly in the arm and the only way you can make them stop is to touch a doorknob. 

Also, if someone calls out a false "DOORKNOB" on you, then you get "DOORKNOB" on them and the same rules apply.

I remember playing this back in the 80's but I wouldn't be surprised if it goes back further.

Wow what a silly game. ::)

Written By: karen on 04/19/12 at 8:02 am

Not what I was expecting!

We used to lick our thumb and press it onto our forehead if we smelt a fart.  That was to keep us "safe", and I though that's what you also meant.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/19/12 at 9:58 am

My ex husband and his brother still play it.  ;D

In my family, if someone smelled a fart we would put our thumb on our foreheads with the whole hand up like a turkey, and yelled out the name of a fruit.  Then everyone else had to yell out a different fruit, and the last person that yelled a fruit would be the one who farted. 

It sounds ridiculous, but to this day, if I'm with all of my family I will put my hand on my head and yell "Apple!" just to make everyone else yell out the names of fruit.  It always makes me laugh...

;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/19/12 at 4:47 pm

In my family, if someone smelled a fart we would put our thumb on our foreheads with the whole hand up like a turkey, and yelled out the name of a fruit.  Then everyone else had to yell out a different fruit, and the last person that yelled a fruit would be the one who farted. 

It sounds ridiculous, but to this day, if I'm with all of my family I will put my hand on my head and yell "Apple!" just to make everyone else yell out the names of fruit.  It always makes me laugh...

;D

Some of the kids on my block did a variation of this where if someone farted, everyone had to put their thumbs on their forehead and the last one to do so had to "eat it."

Written By: Howard on 04/19/12 at 7:06 pm

;D

Boy did we have such silly games growing up.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 04/19/12 at 7:07 pm

who remembers duck duck goose?

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/19/12 at 10:43 pm

I still play it with my nieces and nephews.  :D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/19/12 at 11:04 pm

Thought that was more of a seventies thing.
???

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/19/12 at 11:12 pm

Thought that was more of a seventies thing.
???

I played plenty of it in the 80's.

That, and Red Rover.  :)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/19/12 at 11:22 pm

We made state finals for Red Rover!
;)

Written By: Howard on 04/20/12 at 6:21 am

I still play it with my nieces and nephews.  :D

I never knew what the point of that game was, you have to keep tapping someone's head by saying "duck" until you get to the "goose" part?

Written By: Dagwood on 04/20/12 at 7:11 am

Red Rover was fun.....and dangerous. ;)

What about dodgeball?  We called it bloodball, we played rough at my school. ;D

Written By: Howard on 04/20/12 at 7:28 pm

Red Rover was fun.....and dangerous. ;)

What about dodgeball?  We called it bloodball, we played rough at my school. ;D

to me dodgeball was so exciting, It was a fun sport.

Written By: Howard on 04/20/12 at 7:28 pm

I miss Max Headroom.

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/20/12 at 8:16 pm

I miss Max Headroom.

Foo Bar was just talking about him the other day...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 04/20/12 at 8:56 pm

I got called Max Headroom every day for about five years!

Written By: Ashkicksass on 04/20/12 at 8:57 pm

Going back to Red Rover - I LOVED that game.  I've always been built like a linebacker, so I used to f*%#
the other kids up!  ;D ;D

Written By: Howard on 04/21/12 at 6:22 am

I got called Max Headroom every day for about five years!

Why? cause you stuttered like he did?  ???

Written By: Howard on 04/21/12 at 6:28 am

I miss Rubik's Cube but lo and behold Pathmark now sells it not sure how much but I'll have to check.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/zoom/rubix_cube.jpg

Check for new replies or respond here...