inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did you first notice Whitney Houston back in the '80s (or early '90s even)?

Written By: yelimsexa on 02/13/12 at 7:07 am

Upon Michael Jackson's passing, we had a thread about memories for those who could recall his Thriller era. Now I ask the same for Ms. Houston's passing. Where were you when you first heard about Whitney? Where did you hear her music playing? Also, what was the public reception for those who were there?

Subject: Re: When did you first notice Whitney Houston back in the '80s (or early '90s even)?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/13/12 at 10:05 am

I think it was when Whitney became a major star with "Saving All My Love for You."  I associate it with back-to-school time in 1985.  That's when there was first a lot of buzz about her in the mainstream media.

Subject: Re: When did you first notice Whitney Houston back in the '80s (or early '90s even)?

Written By: Ashkicksass on 02/13/12 at 11:08 am

I was in a church/neighboorhood choir when I was little, and we sang "The Greatest Love."  That is my first memory of Whitney and her music.

I also had a cassette tape of hers - my favorite song was "Dance With Somebody."  We've lost what I think may well be our generations greatest voice. 

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/13/12 at 11:24 am

I think the first time I really took notice is when a classmate did a book report on some typical high school romance book and brought in the song "How Will I Know" to go with it.  That was 4th grade so 1985 or 1986.  By 1987 her music was everywhere.  My sister who would have been 8 was going around the house singing "I Wanna Dance With Somebody".

Written By: 1986baby on 02/13/12 at 11:49 am

Probably around 1993:

When "I'm Every Woman" was played on every radio station.
It's the earliest song of her I remember vividly when it was new.

Written By: Howard on 02/13/12 at 12:22 pm

I remember hearing her music on my radio in 1985-1986 and her first song(s) I listened to was "Saving All My Love For You" and "All At Once"

Written By: nally on 02/13/12 at 12:42 pm

I remember hearing her music on my radio in 1985-1986 and her first song(s) I listened to was "Saving All My Love For You" and "All At Once"

I remember hearing those on the radio too, at that time. "Greatest Love Of All" was also popular around that time, and it remains one of my personal favorites of hers.

Written By: Paul on 02/13/12 at 1:36 pm

1984 was when my ears first got accustomed...she appeared on a song called 'Hold Me', a real slow, soppy affair which she duetted with soul giant Teddy Pendergrass...

Soul radio stations at the time loved it, but it didn't really do much in terms of sales...

Interestingly, Whitney was given the smallest of mentions on the record label and no credit at all on the sleeve...all that would change within the space of a year...

Written By: 80sfan on 02/13/12 at 2:41 pm

I was born in 1988 so I didn't get to see Whitney during her first 3 albums. My first taste of her was circa 1992 or 1993 with 'I Will Always Love You' on the radio.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/13/12 at 3:23 pm

I can't recall when I first heard her. Of course she was all over the charts back then so anyone listening to the radio couldn't help but hearing her songs. I have said this in another thread that my absolutely favorite of hers is One Moment in Time from the 1988 Summer Olympics. I cannot hear that song without getting tears in my eyes.

Cat

Written By: amjikloviet on 02/13/12 at 6:35 pm

I was about five or six when I first saw her in the music video "How will I know".

Written By: wagonman76 on 02/13/12 at 8:48 pm

One of my favorite songs of hers that seems to be quite underrated is "Love Will Save The Day".  I don't think I've heard it on the local radio in 20 years.  I did hear it on DMX once.

I mainly liked her 80s music.  "I'm Your Baby Tonight" had that late 80s/early 90s feel and I liked that too.  But anything after that I didn't really care for.  I know some of those songs were considered here greatest achievements, they just weren't my cup of tea.

Written By: Howard on 02/14/12 at 6:47 am

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/7/7b/Whitney_Houston1985.jpg/220px-Whitney_Houston1985.jpg

Who remembers having this 1985 album?

Written By: Midas on 02/18/12 at 6:37 pm

My mother bought the 45 for "You Give Good Love" right around the time it started playing on radio.  I wasn't a fan of the track.  I liked "How Will I Know?" a little better.  My fave of hers from the 80s is "So Emotional".  Hard to choose from the 90s, probably "It's Not Right, But It's Okay".

Written By: whistledog on 02/18/12 at 7:05 pm

Having watched Gimme A Break! all the time when I was a kid, I first remember Whitney Houston when she guest starred in a 1984 episode as Katie's best friend.  I thought nothing of it at the time, but when 'Saving All My Love For You' hit the radio, anyone who was old enough to notice, did

Written By: nicole7477 on 02/18/12 at 7:22 pm

I remember being 6 years old in 1983 when I saw Whitney Houston for the first time when she was on the Merv Griffith Show, and she was singing "Home". This was before her 1985 debut album.  I remember that every little black girl including myself want to sing like Whitney Houston.  In the 80s, I wanted to sing like Whitney and look like Janet.

Written By: Howard on 02/18/12 at 7:31 pm

Having watched Gimme A Break! all the time when I was a kid, I first remember Whitney Houston when she guest starred in a 1984 episode as Katie's best friend.  I thought nothing of it at the time, but when 'Saving All My Love For You' hit the radio, anyone who was old enough to notice, did

She was in Gimmie A Break? Wow I gotta watch that episode.

Written By: whistledog on 02/18/12 at 8:14 pm

She was in Gimmie A Break? Wow I gotta watch that episode.

Yep.  Her character and Katie Kanisky opened up their own clothing store.  She was only ever in that episode and her character was never mentioned again, despite further episodes that mentioned and showed Katie running the store

Written By: the OlLine Rebel on 02/18/12 at 8:19 pm

I don't remember exactly.  All I know is the local DJs started playing "Saving All My Love For You", and then it made it on the charts.  I always remember that as the 1st real hit.

Written By: wsmith4 on 02/22/12 at 7:10 am

I can't remember exactly when I first noticed her.  But she's one of those artists that is in what I would consider the background soundtrack of my childhood - meaning, she was always on the radio when I was with my parents in the car, in department stores, or at home.  I remember songs like "How Will I Know", "I Wanna Dance With Somebody", "All At Once", "Saving All My Love For You", "One Moment in Time", "Didn't We Almost Have It All" being played all the time.  I also remember going to my cousin's 6th grade concert and they sang "The Greatest Love Of All".

She was also a big part of my "coming out" days, when I was going to gay clubs every Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday night in the late 90's, having the time of my life.  "Heartbreak Hotel", "My Love Is Your Love", "It's Not Right But It's Okay", and "I Learned From The Best" were my anthems!!

RIP Whitney.  You will be missed! I feel like another little part of my childhood has died. :(

Written By: robby76 on 02/22/12 at 8:23 am

I can't remember exactly when I first noticed her.  But she's one of those artists that is in what I would consider the background soundtrack of my childhood - meaning, she was always on the radio when I was with my parents in the car, in department stores, or at home.  I remember songs like "How Will I Know", "I Wanna Dance With Somebody", "All At Once", "Saving All My Love For You", "One Moment in Time", "Didn't We Almost Have It All" being played all the time.  I also remember going to my cousin's 6th grade concert and they sang "The Greatest Love Of All".

She was also a big part of my "coming out" days, when I was going to gay clubs every Wednesday, Friday, and Saturday night in the late 90's, having the time of my life.  "Heartbreak Hotel", "My Love Is Your Love", "It's Not Right But It's Okay", and "I Learned From The Best" were my anthems!!

I kinda share the same experience. Whitney followed me through my whole life... from my innocent 80s childhood, my teenage crush years in the early 90s and then my all-out clubbing days in the late 90s... I even liked the singles off her last album in 2009.

We had the privelege of having a cd player in the car way back in 1985. The first cds we bought were Whitney's debut, Dire Straits, Five Star and Julio Iglesias. So those 4 albums were on constant rotation. Her first 2 albums were magical for me. To this day, each track will instantly take me back to the mid 80s. They were both pop / soul perfection. All those early beautiful ballads will always bring a nostalgic tear to my eye.

What a beauty in 1986...

http://missindependentlifestyle.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/tumblr_lp2db076WX1qdhje7o1_400.jpg

Written By: Howard on 02/22/12 at 1:47 pm

I kinda share the same experience. Whitney followed me through my whole life... from my innocent 80s childhood, my teenage crush years in the early 90s and then my all-out clubbing days in the late 90s... I even liked the singles off her last album in 2009.

We had the privelege of having a cd player in the car way back in 1985. The first cds we bought were Whitney's debut, Dire Straits, Five Star and Julio Iglesias. So those 4 albums were on constant rotation. Her first 2 albums were magical for me. To this day, each track will instantly take me back to the mid 80s. They were both pop / soul perfection. All those early beautiful ballads will always bring a nostalgic tear to my eye.

What a beauty in 1986...

http://missindependentlifestyle.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/tumblr_lp2db076WX1qdhje7o1_400.jpg

I agree she was beautiful back then.  :)

Written By: nally on 02/23/12 at 10:18 am

Yep.  Her character and Katie Kanisky opened up their own clothing store.  She was only ever in that episode and her character was never mentioned again, despite further episodes that mentioned and showed Katie running the store

That is interesting. I haven't watched the show very much but I never knew that she had a TV acting role in it.

Written By: yelimsexa on 02/23/12 at 1:49 pm

Something that's never happened before in her career has now happened posthumously: 3 songs in the Top 40 at the same time per this weeks Billboard charts: I Will Always Love You is at #3, I Wanna Dance With Somebody #25, and The Greatest Love of All is at #36. Reminds me of how back in the '80s the songs Stand By Me, Do You Love Me, and Twist and Shout were all Top 40 hits despite being 20+ years old.

Written By: whistledog on 02/23/12 at 3:45 pm

Something that's never happened before in her career has now happened posthumously: 3 songs in the Top 40 at the same time per this weeks Billboard charts: I Will Always Love You is at #3, I Wanna Dance With Somebody #25, and The Greatest Love of All is at #36. Reminds me of how back in the '80s the songs Stand By Me, Do You Love Me, and Twist and Shout were all Top 40 hits despite being 20+ years old.

She also has 3 current UK Top 40 hits:  I Will Always Love You (#14), I Wanna Dance with Somebody (UK #20), One Moment in Time (UK #40), plus another 10 in the rest of the UK Top 100

Written By: Howard on 02/23/12 at 7:15 pm

That is interesting. I haven't watched the show very much but I never knew that she had a TV acting role in it.

Gimmie A Break in 1983.

Written By: nally on 02/23/12 at 7:20 pm

Gimmie A Break in 1983.

Yes, it was mentioned in an earlier reply:

Having watched Gimme A Break! all the time when I was a kid, I first remember Whitney Houston when she guest starred in a 1984 episode as Katie's best friend.

Not too long before she entered the music scene.

Written By: Howard on 02/23/12 at 7:21 pm

Yes, it was mentioned in an earlier reply:

Not too long before she entered the music scene.

Then she was on Silver Spoons, played Franklin Seales's love interest in 1984.

Check for new replies or respond here...