inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What was your favorite Atari 2600 game?

Written By: moycon on 02/23/12 at 7:12 pm

I was a HUGE video game fan in the 80's (Still am really)
We had an Atari 2600 and about 50 games and I would play them constantly at that time.
I actually still have an Atari 2600, and probably about 150 games, but these days I don't play very often, it's more for nostalgia.
Anyways, thinking back I think the game that REALLY shocked me with it's awesomeness was Pitfall 2. The music was amazing for it's time, and the huge, explorable caverns were just great. One of the rare cases a sequel greatly surpasses the original.
Just curious if anyone else had an Atari and if so what was your all time favorite!?

Subject: Re: What was your favorite Atari 2600 game?

Written By: whistledog on 02/23/12 at 8:47 pm

I never had an Atari 2600, but I did have an Atari 7800 and at the time about 15 or so games.  I still have that same Atari 7800, however, it broke a few years ago *sad* but over the years I've kept collecting the games, and have about 250 of them now

My favourite Atari 2600 game was E.T.  Say what you will, but I played it for hours on end.  It was the first Atari game I ever finished
Favourite 7800 game?  No contest:  Food Fight.  Getting Instant Replays when you did trick moves was fantastic! (see video below; Instant Replay at 1:58)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQ8qNjya0B0

Written By: lady of the 80s on 02/23/12 at 9:01 pm

Dig Dug is probably my favorite with Yars' Revenge a close second. 

I remember when Pitfall II came out.  I was so excited.  It was probably the only game I got when it was still a new release.  When me and my mom got to the store, it was sold out so my mom bought the cartridge they had in the console as the demonstration.  She paid full price, too which was $38.95 or something like that. 

Other games I liked when I was a kid were Asteroids, Defender, Raiders of the Lost Ark (I actually finished it--I have no idea how I figured it out), Video Pinball, Missile Command, Berzerk, Pitfall, River Raid, Tapper, and Bump N Jump.  I had E.T. and liked it though I couldn't stand being constantly harassed by the agent and doctor on the tougher levels.  I still have a sizable collection of 2600 consoles and games (I'm Miss 2600 on the Atari Age forum).

Written By: moycon on 02/23/12 at 10:35 pm

(I'm Miss 2600 on the Atari Age forum).

LOL Hiya! I guess you know my username on Atari Age!  ;)

Yes whistledog, I'm very familiar with the Atari 7800 as well. In fact I usually hook that up when I want to play because as you know, it was backward compatible with the 2600! Food fight is a GREAT game for sure. I think my favorite game on that system though was probably Midnight Mutants. I'm a huge horror fan though and the graphics, just WOW!!

Written By: Howard on 02/24/12 at 6:30 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HL2p2ANFlQ4

Pac Man, cheesy but yet so addictive.

Written By: ChuckyG on 02/24/12 at 5:57 pm

Kaboom!  followed by Barnstorming, Asteroids & Combat for it's 2 player mode.

I recently bought an adapter to allow me to use the original paddles on my PC (2600dapter) so I could hook my son on them.  Haven't played it much though.

I had a 5200 as well, which was a lot closer to the original arcade games Too bad the joysticks were so sucky.  I played the heck out of Defender, Pac Man, Dig Dug and Wizard of Wor.

Written By: Howard on 02/24/12 at 7:10 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xr7TXeNSlxg

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/24/12 at 7:40 pm

Some I really liked:
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Tutankham
Winter Games
Smurf: Rescue in Gargamel's Castle
Journey Escape
Frogger
Xenophobe
BurgerTime

I've visited Atariage before but it's been years.

Written By: amjikloviet on 02/26/12 at 7:03 pm

BurgerTime

In the early 80s we had Intellivison and there was a game called Burger time that came with it. Was it the same one?

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/27/12 at 1:29 am

In the early 80s we had Intellivison and there was a game called Burger time that came with it. Was it the same one?

Yep.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BurgerTime

Written By: Howard on 02/27/12 at 6:45 am

Wow I always loved Intellivision, another one of my favorite system consoles.

Written By: Howard on 02/27/12 at 6:50 am

I also liked Donkey Kong, was cheesy but exciting.

Written By: barry on 02/28/12 at 4:45 pm

Megamania
Spider Fighter
Pressure Cooker
Frostbite
Laser Blast
Asteroids
Combat
Phoenix
Ms. Pac-Man
Berzerk
Super Breakout

RealSports Football wasn't too bad either. At least the players looked like human beings and not blobs. ;D

If I may be uber-geeky, I remember seeing a Vectrex demo at a store in the mall. Kinda wish I'd bought that now!

J8eZOJr5rs4

Written By: Howard on 02/28/12 at 7:11 pm

Megamania
Spider Fighter
Pressure Cooker
Frostbite
Laser Blast
Asteroids
Combat
Phoenix
Ms. Pac-Man
Berzerk
Super Breakout

RealSports Football wasn't too bad either. At least the players looked like human beings and not blobs. ;D

If I may be uber-geeky, I remember seeing a Vectrex demo at a store in the mall. Kinda wish I'd bought that now!

J8eZOJr5rs4

playing a Vectrex brings back memories.

Written By: Foo Bar on 02/29/12 at 1:24 am

And you may, we've got enough people here who remember the Vectrex.  I didn't get mine until I was in college!

Laser Blast

David Crane's Laser Blast?  As in, one of the co-founders of the little independent gaming house known as as Activision (people unfamiliar with the Atari 2600 in 1981 may have heard of them :)  Laser Blast wasn't their best game (I was a huge River Raid and Pitfall fan myself), but it one of their first, and I thought I was the only one who remembered it.

XzxIetvuh4k

- Positive Attitude, 2600.

tl;dr: yes, they got all the samples right.

Note to self: Hope in the hot tub time machine, and instruct my younger self to keep the boxes as well as the cartridges.

Written By: whistledog on 02/29/12 at 12:33 pm

And you may, we've got enough people here who remember the Vectrex.  I didn't get mine until I was in college!

David Crane's Laser Blast?  As in, one of the co-founders of the little independent gaming house known as as Activision (people unfamiliar with the Atari 2600 in 1981 may have heard of them :)

Activision was the Rolls Royce of Atari Games.  The worst one Activision made was Dragster (you could finish it in under 10 seconds)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L64-DpklZrw

My favourite was the Activision Decathalon.  It was the only Atari Game that could make you sweat and (possibly) break a joystick from the fast movements required to make the players run

Here's a commercial for it starring Bruce Jenner ... 
Bruce Jenner?  You mean the 1976 Gold Metal Olympian?
No!  The step-father of The Kardashians :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7g1Oqrid8c

Written By: Howard on 02/29/12 at 2:45 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SkWIPKFrxk

Star Wars from Atari (1983)

Written By: moycon on 03/01/12 at 2:41 am

I've got a Vectrex hooked up right now. The classic games are great but there are some recent games and demo's on that little system that blow me away. Have all of them on a homebrew cartridge called a VecFlash. You can upload game and demo roms to the cart and play them right on the system!
I love it still.
Also have a whole bunch of Atari 2600 games, many of them with box and manual.
Oh yeah, I love classic video games!

Written By: Howard on 03/01/12 at 6:44 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwfaJ4zwzyM

This person shows you how to play Donkey Kong Jr. for Atari.

Check for new replies or respond here...