inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The 50's

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 03/01/12 at 5:15 pm

It's hard to believe that the 80's are are going to be as old in the 2010s, as the 50's were in the 80's. The 80's seem old, but not super old.

Subject: Re: The 50's

Written By: lady of the 80s on 03/01/12 at 6:11 pm

I think it might seem that way when we compare time from the perspective of being a kid and then as an adult.  I think kids probably view time differently.  Plus, when you've lived through decades as opposed to just hearing about decades that happened before you were born, they probably don't seem so distant.

A year seemed like a long time to me when I was a kid.  A year was a big percentage of my life plus, in a year's time, I would see lots of changes in school and just growing up in general.  Now that I'm nearing 40 and stuck in a rut, years don't mean that much.  They just fly by.  Any year with a 2 at the front seems very recent to me and here it is 12 years already.

Written By: Howard on 03/01/12 at 7:07 pm

It's hard to believe that the 80's are are going to be as old in the 2010s, as the 50's were in the 80's. The 80's seem old, but not super old.

The 80's were 30-35 years ago.

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/01/12 at 8:18 pm

And now those of us that were of a certain age in 1985 understand why our parents enjoyed watching Marty McFly go back to the 50s in Back to the Future every bit as much as we did.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/03/12 at 12:40 am

And now those of us that were of a certain age in 1985 understand why our parents enjoyed watching Marty McFly go back to the 50s in Back to the Future every bit as much as we did.

"In 2015 I'm sure marijuana is available at every drugstore, but in 1985, it's a little hard to find!"
8)

Written By: Doc Brown on 03/03/12 at 1:38 am

"In 2015 I'm sure marijuana is available at every drugstore, but in 1985, it's a little hard to find!"
8)

You think that's bad? I look at my parents and want to see them both going to a rejuvenation clinic. NTM, I really thought I could try my hand at hoverboarding by now!

Of course, to some of us, the 50's didn't seem as long ago in the 80's as it did to others. There was that bit of 50's nostalgia in the late 70's/early 80's. I would say it was instigated by the disco backlash and fueled by movies like Grease and TV shows like Happy Days. Of course, on the radio, some punk bands resembled the teen rebels of the 50's style-wise, the charts featured covers of old songs like "I Want Candy" or "Under The Boardwalk", and there were bands like The Stray Cats who were retro before it was called retro! All that served to make the gap seem smaller to some. Perhaps after all the tumult of the 60's and 70's, people wanted the 80's to be a bit more peaceful a decade. Well, it wasn't exactly peaceful, but it was certainly different, and better!

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: Howard on 03/03/12 at 6:32 am

8)

Yeah but for how much?

Written By: yelimsexa on 03/03/12 at 11:28 am

Time just flies when you're having fun. It just means that the 50's are now the grandparent's era to today's youth instead of simply their parent's time for those who were young during the 80's. Still, there was lots of nostalgia for that decade during the '80s, especially up to 1987 or so. Many commercial jingles have '50s-style songs, the cartoon Muppet Babies uses a '50s-style song for its intro, many music videos from the 80's featured 50's cars. Some graphic designs/fashion/art from the 80's brought some 50's styles back, such as neon signs and pastel colors, and the vinyl 45 single had one last moment in the sun with an increase in picture sleeves even.

The difference between talking about the 50's today versus in the 80's is that unless if you're speaking to someone who is over 55 who have some memories, most will treat the 50's in a more historical context and sound more like a walking encyclopedia than back in the 80's when the youth of the 50's were still fairly young and gave some good memories when you talked to them. It's also much more difficult to experience some 50's nostalgia today than back then, as for example, you don't hear too many oldies stations play 50's music anymore like you did everywhere on oldies radio in the 80's, fewer TV shows from the 50's are re-ran on TV today compared to back then, plus of course vintage items from the 50's are quite a bit more valuable now than they were in the 80's with a few exceptions. It just shows you that nostalgia/history of something that was about 25-30 years ago will be different compared to when it was like 50-60 years ago. New sources are conclusions can change the impressions of a certain era.

Written By: kairosan on 03/05/12 at 8:40 pm

I notice That there was an obsession with the mid 50's.......How about that movie Take Me Home Tonight What would this movie in the 2010's be for the new generation....

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/07/12 at 10:40 pm

I notice That there was an obsession with the mid 50's.......How about that movie Take Me Home Tonight What would this movie in the 2010's be for the new generation....

Hot Tub Time Machine, 2010.

We're gonna have to wait another couple of decades before we find the 2030s one that makes Dubstep sound retro, and Lady Gaga as downright quaint.

Written By: Howard on 03/08/12 at 6:53 am

Hot Tub Time Machine, 2010.

We're gonna have to wait another couple of decades before we find the 2030s one that makes Dubstep sound retro, and Lady Gaga as downright quaint.

Lady Gaga wil be 43 by 2030.

Check for new replies or respond here...