inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Loverboy - Poll

Written By: whistledog on 03/10/12 at 8:58 pm

Loverboy is a supergroup from Canada who formed in 1980.

1980 - The Kid is Hot Tonite
1981 - Turn Me Loose
1981 - Lady of the 80s
1981 - Working For the Weekend
1982 - When It's Over
1982 - Jump
1983 - Hot Girls in Love
1983 - Queen of the Broken Hearts
1985 - Lovin' Every Minute of It
1985 - Dangerous
1986 - This Could Be the Night
1986 - Lead A Double Life
1986 - Heaven in Your Eyes
1987 - Notorious
1988 - Break it to Me Gently
1989 - Too Hot

Note:  'Jump' peaked at #1 on the US Billboard Bubbling Under Chart (meaning it reached US #101)

Subject: Re: Loverboy - Poll

Written By: nally on 03/10/12 at 9:00 pm

I had no idea they were a supergroup. You learn something new every day, I guess...

Of their songs, "Working For The Weekend" is my favorite, with "Turn Me Loose" a close second.

Written By: Dagwood on 03/10/12 at 9:06 pm

This Could Be The Night, hands down.  Love that song.

Written By: whistledog on 03/10/12 at 9:23 pm

I had no idea they were a supergroup

Not many people do I find.  Paul Dean (guitarist) and Matt Frenette (drums) had previously been members of a band called Streetheart and Mike Reno (vocalist) was in a band called Moxy
Loverboy's current bass player is Ken "Spider" Sinnaeve, who replaced the late Scott Smith in 2001.  Spider was a founding member of Streetheart.

A little bit of trivia:  Dean left Streetheart in 1978 after their first album (Meanwhile Back in Paris) and Frenette left after their 2nd album (Under Heaven, Over Hell).  It was actually on that 2nd album that they would go on to have a very popular hit in Canada with a cover of the Rolling Stones song 'Under My Thumb'.  It reached #20 in Canada in February of 1980, at the same time Loverboy were shopping for a record deal. 

The Streetheart version of Under My Thumb was so popular in Canada, that it has since become more well-known here than the Stones version on radio stations.  You can even see Frenette on drums in the promo clip for it ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogGFzJlRu1Y

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/10/12 at 9:40 pm

Tough call.

Went with Turn Me Loose. Quintessential reflection on a strange year or two at the roller skating rink when nobody - not even the then-cool kids - could tell the difference between "rock" (dudes with guitars) and "synthpop" (dudes with keyboards).

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/10/12 at 10:06 pm

Tough call.

Went with Turn Me Loose. Quintessential reflection on a strange year or two at the roller skating rink when nobody - not even the then-cool kids - could tell the difference between "rock" (dudes with guitars) and "synthpop" (dudes with keyboards).

Holy crap!  Exactly the same thought here.  Same year different roller rink!  That was about the same time as Rush "Tom Sawyer" and REO Speedwagon "Keep On Loving You" and/or "Take It on the Run."  Why, it was 1981!

For Loveryboy, I gotta go with "Hot Girls in Love" for the gloriously trashy lyrics and the killer guitar solo!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW22JDVEejk&ob=av2e

Written By: Howard on 03/11/12 at 6:36 am

Workin For The Weekend and Turn Me Loose

Written By: lady of the 80s on 03/11/12 at 4:02 pm

Tough call.

LOL, they used to play "When It's Over" and "Working For The Weekend" all the time at the rollerskating rink I went to as a kid (Cal Skate).  I couldn't skate worth crapola!  ;D  Anyway, they always played "Working For The Weekend" during the "speed skate" where the kids would skate super fast and I would go to the food court and get a Pepsi and red licorice.  Anyway, I went to Cal Skate one time when I was in college for some sorority thing.  This was around 1997, so about 12-13 years since I went there as a kid and they STILL played "Working For the Weekend" during the speed skate!  8)

Written By: moycon on 03/12/12 at 7:13 pm

I went with Turn Me Loose, LOVE that song!!

Written By: whistledog on 03/12/12 at 8:15 pm

LOL, they used to play "When It's Over" and "Working For The Weekend" all the time at the rollerskating rink I went to as a kid (Cal Skate).  I couldn't skate worth crapola!  ;D  Anyway, they always played "Working For The Weekend" during the "speed skate" where the kids would skate super fast and I would go to the food court and get a Pepsi and red licorice.  Anyway, I went to Cal Skate one time when I was in college for some sorority thing.  This was around 1997, so about 12-13 years since I went there as a kid and they STILL played "Working For the Weekend" during the speed skate!  8)

Your screen name is the same as Loverboy's third single :P

Written By: wildcard on 03/12/12 at 8:28 pm

turn me loose

Written By: Lindee on 03/15/12 at 11:44 am

Lucky Ones is my favorite but it wasn't a choice so I chose WFTW.

I saw Loverboy last summer (with 38 Special) at a county fair. It's the original lineup except for the bass player. They were good but of course don't sound like they did back in the 80s (saw them in '82). Mike Reno can't hit the high notes but he's still pretty good as a singer.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 03/15/12 at 1:18 pm

I saw them in concert back in '84 or '85. I remember the Hooters opened for them-who really sucked. But Loverboy was REALLY good. I still have my ticket stub somewhere.

As for my favorite song of theirs, I couldn't pick just one. I like When Its Over, Turn Me Loose, Loving Every Minute Of It, & of course Working For The Weekend.

Cat

Written By: Ashkicksass on 03/15/12 at 1:39 pm

Loving Every Minute of It

Written By: Howard on 03/15/12 at 1:43 pm

Loving Every Minute of It

My favorite too.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/15/12 at 1:49 pm

I saw them in concert back in '84 or '85. I remember the Hooters opened for them-who really sucked.

The Hooters and Loverboy? Nah, not a good combo!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LE0KpcP05I&ob=av2e

Written By: lady of the 80s on 03/15/12 at 7:54 pm

Your screen name is the same as Loverboy's third single :P

Yeah, that's where I got my screen name from.  I guess I should vote for "Lady of the 80's"  :)  I do like the song a lot, but my favorite from that list is "Working For The Weekend."  That was the first Loverboy song I heard and that one and "When It's Over" really take me back to my childhood. I think my favorite song of theirs now is "Wildside" off the 1987 album of the same name.  I don't like the album as a whole that much, but that song is great.  Killer bass beat!

Written By: gumbypiz on 03/15/12 at 9:20 pm

Turn Me Loose.

Not so much as my favorite, just that I heard it so damn often at the time. Kinda sticks in your head when you think about the early 80's, ya know?

As an aside, I remember a rumor that the lead singer always wore that red headband to cover an embarrassing tattoo that was given to him by the other band members during an all night bender (that he was too wasted to remember anything about). True?  :D

Written By: lady of the 80s on 03/15/12 at 10:01 pm

As an aside, I remember a rumor that the lead singer always wore that red headband to cover an embarrassing tattoo that was given to him by the other band members during an all night bender (that he was too wasted to remember anything about). True?  :D

This quote is from Encyclopedia.com.. Not sure of its veracity:

"We just wanted to wear Armani jackets, leather pants and boots from Sheplers," Reno told the Classic Rock Revisited website. "The only reason I started wearing the headband was because the lights were so hot that I wanted to keep the sweat out of my eyes."

I've never heard the tattoo story before.  You can see Mike Reno's forehead on the Keep It Up album cover (which I also have in folder form--remember the folders that had album covers?) and the Lovin' Every Minute Of It cover and there is no hint of a tattoo.  Anyway, that would be pretty messed up if his band mates gave him a tattoo on his forehead  ???. 

Written By: Howard on 03/16/12 at 6:34 am

I remember when Mike Reno from Loverboy went on his own and sung "Almost Paradise" with Ann Wilson.

Written By: whistledog on 03/16/12 at 3:37 pm

Lucky Ones is my favorite but it wasn't a choice so I chose WFTW.

I saw Loverboy last summer (with 38 Special) at a county fair. It's the original lineup except for the bass player. They were good but of course don't sound like they did back in the 80s (saw them in '82). Mike Reno can't hit the high notes but he's still pretty good as a singer.

Their original bass player Scott Smith died at sea back in 2000.  His replacement is Ken "Spider" Sinnaeve, who was a founding member of Streetheart, the late 70s band that Lovervboy formed out of, so it's kind of like familiar territory for him.

When Streetheart called it quits in 1984, Sinnaeve joined Tom Cochrane's band Red Rider in 1985, and stayed with Cochrane until 2001 when he joined Loverboy

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/17/12 at 3:36 am

Their original bass player Scott Smith died at sea back in 2000.  His replacement is Ken "Spider" Sinnaeve, who was a founding member of Streetheart, the late 70s band that Lovervboy formed out of, so it's kind of like familiar territory for him.

Meanwhile, back in Paris, or at least, back at the roller rink, I was too young to be embarassed.

w1R4Kj0POQM

- Streetheart, Action, 1978, but still in heavy rotation even by 1981. 

I can't hear this song without seeing 1980's Missile Command and remembering a bowling-ball-sized trackball beneath my right hand, gliding a cursor across a screen as my left hand tapped out a screen of fluffy defensive fire in sync with the hi-hats.

Written By: whistledog on 03/17/12 at 8:16 am

Meanwhile, back in Paris, or at least, back at the roller rink, I was too young to be embarassed.

w1R4Kj0POQM

- Streetheart, Action, 1978, but still in heavy rotation even by 1981. 

I can't hear this song without seeing 1980's Missile Command and remembering a bowling-ball-sized trackball beneath my right hand, gliding a cursor across a screen as my left hand tapped out a screen of fluffy defensive fire in sync with the hi-hats.

I had no idea that song or even Streetheart were known outside of Canada.  'Meanwhile Back in Paris' was a fantastic album!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 03/17/12 at 6:32 pm

I had no idea that song or even Streetheart were known outside of Canada.  'Meanwhile Back in Paris' was a fantastic album!

American Top 40 with Casey Kasem told me.  That's where I heard Bryan Adams was in a band called Sweeney Todd!
:)

Written By: mitch1987 on 03/19/12 at 9:06 pm

I voted for When its Over but Gangs in the Street was always my favorite from Loverboy. A great Canadian band from back in the day when Canada had a ton of awesome rock bands. Sadly we'll never see those days again. I think next to Dokken's Under Lock and Key, Triumph's Allied Forces and Def Leppard's Pyromania, Loverboy's Get Lucky album the most listened to on my walkman back then. Every song was awesome.

Check for new replies or respond here...